Are there any real bikers left?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Scratchammo, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

When I was discharged I took a road trip all over the states. I rode & still ride a 1994 VT1100C, best bike ever. I camped in the woods, rode with groups, chilled with old shipmates, sat around campfires, went to random parties. It all ended in October when I met Bambi's mom face to face in Orange Va. Now my bike is close to being back in good shape but it seems my old buddies have went on to over things. Since then I haven't met anyone who goes outside unless it's to check the mail. What the hell happened? :confused:

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Everybody talks about getting a ride together. but nobody does. I ride all the time now that gas is so expensive. I ride a VTX1300T. Summer before last I took a 2200 mile road trip. Visited the Choice Hotels reservation center in Minot North Dakota. My company paid for the whole trip! Hey...there is a reservation center in Phoenix too!

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Nice :D My uncle & great uncle both have VTX 1300's, it's a beast of a bike. My uncle has a car tire on the rear, it's funny seeing him lean. Sounds like Phoenix is the next X on the roadmap, I've never been to Arizona.

4. Rick1967

I love riding in Colorado. There is nothing like the stretch of highway 550 between Ouray and Durango. Talk about wildlife. You could litteraly reach out and touch dear as you ride by. They just stand there. I've never seen one walk out in front of a bike. Maybe it is the noise?

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

How well do carburetors do in the high mountains? Lol I used to love seeing deer but after that little incident I get nervous, there have been a few that stand in the road or run out in front of me. I think God created deer for that reason to keep people in cars :rolleyes:

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Back in the day.

[​IMG]

I rode this 66 Electra Glide for over 15 years. BTW, no baffles in those drag pipes.:D

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Nice! Now I know why your name is Hawg.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't do as much as I used to, but I still ride the Triumph about 3-4 times a month.

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What kind of triumph?

10. Chapman87

Chapman87 New Member

This will be my first year riding. I also have a beast of a bike... its a honda ft500... single!

Sarcastic of course but I cant wait, its almost road worthy

11. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

You should have no problem saving gas $. The ft500 is a good bike.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've got a 2005 Triumph America. The wife has a Buell Blast.
    We are trying to coordinate some days off to take a ride somewhere.
    (I was thinking of the Dragon's Tail area.)

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Those are cool looking bikes. Keep the Tree of Shame in mind before y'all do anything too risky, my buddy's fender is on it.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Well I ain't no "Then Came Bronson" but I did take the Ultra Classic out yesterday for about 3 hours for her first spring outing this year to blow the garage dust out of her pipes. ;)

Attached Files:

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Lol a lot of riders have done the same, they're all over in Memphis.

16. Rick1967

Carburetors work great for me. I had a Gold Wing with the 4 carb set up. I finally learned how to properly sync them and then ended up with a single anyway. But I have never had any problem at any elevation. I will take a carb anyday.

17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

That's good to know. Mine worked good in the Smokies but I've been told there's a significant difference in elevation between them & the Rockies.

18. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I am a Dual Sport rider - Kawasaki KLR650. We have group rides all through the year, at various places. I am the main contact guy for the Annual "Tour de Apalachicola Dual Sport Meet" - had our sixth campout in January (every MLK weekend).
    In may, we'll hold the 6th Annual Tour de Tellico" in Tennessee, then in September the Sixth Annual "Tour de Pisgah" in North Carolina.
    Some riders ride to the meets, some truck their bikes in - depends on distance and weather. Forty to fifty riders is common each event! Some in tents, some in TT or RV.
    All Dual Sport/Enduro bikes are welcome, and we even sometimes have the occasional cruiser or scooter for the pavement rides. Great fun and great comradery!
    During the other times, we have local rides of three to six friends just out enjoying the area. Last year, four of us rode from Tallahassee, Fl to Andersonville, Ga for a long weekend of playing Motorcycle Tourist!
    Earlier, we all rode to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Leeds, Al. That is MECCA for all motorcycle folks!
    We in Florida are blessed with riding weather pretty much year long. :cool:

19. TNEFF

TNEFF New Member

Gonna fuel mine up tomorrow, I don't get to take many journey's. My back is good for 100 miles or so, then it's back to the cage.

20. russ

russ New Member

Give me fuel injection any day. I've gotten spoiled with my bike and my quad, no more stinky gasoline hands. Now when I need a "jetting" change, out comes the laptop, and a few keystrokes later, we're in business.
    Bike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quad:
    [​IMG]