Are the colt 80 series 1911's any good, what are they worth?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bowtieguy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. bowtieguy

bowtieguy New Member

Anybody have any insight? Come on of course you do, its colt! lol

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, I give.

I guess that you have not been here long.

Colt seems to have come back in a fury. I have a personal dis-taste for the series-80, but for most people, they're okay.

They must have something going for them. They've been around for almost 30 years.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

No REAL difference between a 70 or 80's gun. In fact I like the 80 models for carry. It's kind of like I hate the external extractors on S&W and Sigs and won't buy one, but some feel the same about the 80 series guns. Both are great it is just what you prefer. I love Colt guns and will get all I can afford no matter if they are 70 or 80 guns.

4. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ok guys tell what the differance is?

5. danf_fl

Series-80, firing pin stop, plunger, spring, levers added to the trigger area.
    Series-70, Collett bushing (not solid, prone to breaking).

Springfield has neither, but does have the lock in the Main Spring Housing.

6. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

In personaly carry the 80's series colt 45 officers model. ,have owned it for damn near 20 yrs, just had ssk.ind here in Ohio rebuild it for me with all ed brown custom part,s.like a new gun again.it has never failed me,always works,and man that polished stainless looks good.i have the hogue wrap around finger grooved grips,Wilson combat night sights.and polished trigger sear and feed ramp. Runs like a new one cant beat a colt i say.I never had any problems with mine and has fired thousand,s of rounds through her.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

Oh and as far as value , all depends on if it is stainless,blued steel,matte look, which model,i know with the 350.00 rebuild i just had done to mine and the shape i have kept it in i would take no less than 1000.oo if i could bring myself to turn lose of her.could not replace that gun for any less that compares to me. My only complaint would be weight factor.does tend to get heavy after carrying all day.with 3 extra mags loaded.But in the event i ever need it i am 100% positive it will do its job.

8. bowtieguy

bowtieguy New Member

Ive been into guns for awhile, but yeah i havent been on the forum for long lol

9. danf_fl

Have you met Canebrake?

He is our Colt guru. He'll pop in soon.

10. 1911owner

1911owner New Member

I am a current owner of a Colt gold cup 80 series. I bought the gun on a spur of the moment deal. I've never owned a 1911 and I have to say that this is the best gun I've shot. I'm a novice when it comes to shooting but I can't believe how accurate I am with this gun. I love it! In my opinion I think it's a great gun. I've put about probably 500 rounds through it (federal, pmc, winchester and some other brand I can't remember). I have not had it jam or misfire on me yet. I love this gun, but I haven't really fired anything else except for a kimber that belong to a relative and that jammed. So far this is the best gun I have. I also own a S&W M&P 40 and a S&W 357 revolver with a 6"barrel. I plan on buying the new S&W 1911 PC when I can find them. I actually bought this gun when I was looking for the S&W 1911 but since I couldn't find it, I bought the Colt. I'm not sorry I did either. So far to me it's an awesome gun.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Congrats on the Colt. Not surprised at the jammed Kimber. Keep shooting that beauty and you will get another Colt instead of the S&W.

12. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

I believe an older thread of Canebrake's said that he felt the knock against the Series 80's was way overblown.

I also read at another source (can't recall) that the bad rap the Series 80's have received were early on when gunsmiths did not know how to work within the firing pin safety. Now, qualified gunsmiths know how to improve the Series 80's system. In fact, there are aftermarket products to mod the Series 80 to replicate a Series 70.

However, it is easier to get a superlight, supercrisp trigger out of a Series 70 simply because it's a simpler trigger system but this is only important if the gun is going to be a competition pistol. You probably don't want a superlight trigger pull on a defensive pistol because you're more likely to risk an accidental discharge with your finger on the trigger in a stressful situation.

13. I'm one who doesn't like the Series 80 Colts.

The reason I don't like them - won't have one - is the idiot firing pin safety (ifps). (I won't have a Remington version either, for the same reason.) It isn't I'm afraid the ifps will malfunction and prevent the gun from firing - although that can happen - I just don't see the need for it. It's just more crap doing nothing beneficial.

Okay, all that understood, they're probably as functional as any.

I have the same problem with the S&W revolvers with the lock doo-dad.

Value. I've seen them at local gun shows with asking prices in the $700 - $1000 range.

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have owned a couple. I prefer the series 70. Was there anything wrong with the Series 80? No. If I had a choice between a series 70 and a series 80, would I choose the 70? Yes.

As stated above, you cannnot get quite as nice a trigger out of a series 80, but the difference is such that it would not matter to most shooters.

Bottom line -- if you find a good deal on a series 80, take it, but don't go out of your way to acquire one.

I bought one about a year ago (since sold) for $700.00.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1
    The series 80 firing pin safety has always struck me as the answer to a question no one asked. But what about drop safe, you say? Other makers can do it without reinventing the wheel.