Are the any double stack, 10mm, 1911 mags out there?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by RustyShackleford101, Aug 28, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Was just wondering if anybody has ever come across one, and how much it cost. I would really love to have a custom job done of a 10 mm double stack 1911 in the future. Thanks.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My glock carries 15+1 ;p

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. But it's still a Glock. So basically, you are taking your best looking sister to prom. :rolleyes: :p

The STI "Perfect 10" is the only 10MM double stack that I know of off the top of my head. I believe they had a 17+1 magazine option, but I don't know if you can order them with the gun. :confused:

4. RustyShackleford101

The mags would be good. I was thinking about having a gunsmith friend of mine ( he's real good) take a gold cup and turn it into ten millimeter and then use a doublestack frame. Anybody ever do anything like that?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have heard of a couple of guys buying a double stack in like .40S&W and doing a 10mm conversion.

I believe the frame would have a wider base, and presumably running rails, thus the "Colt" slide would need to be altered (if that is even possible)

NOTE - This is pure speculation on my part. I have never done this conversion, seen it done, or even handled one that was done, so I don't rightfully know.

Just thinking out loud here.....

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Why not just get a delta elite?

7. RustyShackleford101

Well the main purpose to this project would be to have a unique" one a kind gun", and I have never, ever, seen a doublestack, 10mm, gold cup.

8. RustyShackleford101

Dillinger, you have some great advise. This project isn't even close to happening he, it is still early conception. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

9. tacticalfun

Pics when its done!!!!

10. RustyShackleford101

I hope it gets done! I hope this forum is still around when it is too..

11. RustyShackleford101

But it probably will be, this is the best Internet, gun forum I have ever been a part of.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well thanks. :)

I don't really have any advice, I was just thinking out loud. I don't know if the double stack handle on the frame narrows to a standard size frame where it integrates to the slide. I don't know, but it would stand to reason that it would be more work if it did so.

I am interested in if you can pull it off, to be honest. I can try to check with my guy and see if he has ever seen, or done, it and get back to you.

I just don't know enough to be able to say one way or the other. :confused::eek:

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If your gunsmith friend is going to do it, I'd be asking him if he is even capable of doing and what kind of cost would be involved. Just widening the frame is going to be a huge undertaking. I'm sure if you have the money, someone is capable of giving you want you want. Seems a little out there to me and I would bet the cost will be up in the thousands.

I'd be trying it on a RIA gun before potentially ruining a classic Gold Cup. But that's just me. Good luck with it though.

14. RustyShackleford101

Well I would try to get a frame made for double stacks, like a Para Ordinance or perfect ten like Dillinger mentioned. Although I don't know if those perfect ten mags would fit in the Para. And about the cost, anything under 5,000 dollars would be my budget, this would be the first custom job I would have done.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'll say this Rusty, it's an ambitious goal and you seem to have an end goal and budget in mind. *respect*

My concern is the Colt Gold Cup. What if you just take a true double stack capable slide and have it machined to look like your Gold Cup? No one but you and your 'smith would know the difference, but you would still have a very valuable Colt in the safe and a brand new hand cannon on your hip. Win-Win if you ask me. :D

Damn it. Now you have me thinking once again about a long slide in 10mm. *shaking fist* :p

16. tacticalfun

Like this? ;)

ForumRunner_20120829_141035.jpg

ForumRunner_20120829_141048.jpg

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You sir, suck! LOL

Almost exactly like that to be honest. Have you shot it yet?

18. tacticalfun

Just picked it up... Range trip friday

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Is the Delta elite even available with a double-stack mag? That conversion might be unique enough.

edit* After seeing the longslide pics, i may need a moment alone here.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

No, the Delta Elite is not available in a double stack. And for that matter, there is no such thing as a double stack 1911 magazine. I've said it before, but bears repeating: 1911=single stack, 2011=double stack.

To the OP - if you are wanting to use a Para frame or something with your Gold Cup slide, you will no longer have a "true" Gold Cup. You'll have a Frankenstein gun that you can call a Para Cup. If you have a budget of $5k, why don't you have an actual 2011 race gun built in 10mm? Chances are you'll end up with a much better gun than trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole with your Para Cup idea.