Are Taurus pistols carry quality?

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by MisterMcCool, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I like this model 809 compact.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406495249.037395.jpg

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

It might be.....? Guns are like people, regardless of where they come from, you have to get to know them before they can be trusted.... i think 300rnds with no issues is a good start.. I have a beat up old Hi-point 9mm that i would trust with my life (toolbox gun). Then i also have a Kimber that has been back to the factory twice, and has never been reliable.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

3. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have had four over the years, PT 111, pair of 145s and a 99AF. All four had one or several reasons why they went down the road. I would suggest you read everything from anyone who has shot one, check on the availability of spare mags and the holster you want and then decide.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I suggest you find some defensive ammo it likes. Usually it's not the cheapest stuff. Then five hundred rounds minimum. one, double tap, four or five, and some empty the mag. You need to be completely confident no matter how many shots are left. Confidence is a key. You may end up using FMJ. Really no biggie there. No one wants to catch'em.
    Be familiar with the possible failures and how to clear them. Even if you have a 100% bang rate.
    A little throat and polish the ramp is a good idea too.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I carry a Taurus PT 1911 everyday. It has never failed to go bang.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mr. McCool

My Grandson came down for a visit two weeks ago and brought his New Taurus Model 809. I do not own a Taurus at the present but have owned a couple in the past. I believe the Models were the PT99? and a Model 85 Snubby!
    Both were fine pistols and I had zero problems with them. Anyway, I was impressed with the accuracy of my Grandson's Model 809 at 15 Yards and in. He was doing some personal defense training drills. It seemed to be made fairly well and during our range time it had no malfunctions the entire day and he fired at least 75-100 rounds. I guess depending upon the price point and what you are looking for there would be no reason not to consider it in my opinion! :)

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Member

I guess I've owned my share of Taurus guns over the last few years so I'll give you my thoughts on each of them.
    PT1911AR This was a good gun that I would not have hesitated to trust my life with. Only reason I don't still own it is because of the rail. I hate 1911s with rails (this gun helped me figure that out)
    PT111 Loved this gun, I would recommend it to anyone. Thought I was upgrading going to a Glock (NOT). To me the trigger on the Taurus is better, the size just seems to fit my hand better. I'll own another one of these someday.
    PT100 (40 S&W Beretta clone) The thing I like about these most of all is the frame mounted safety. I'm a 1911 guy from way back and I just prefer a downward sweeping safety to a slide mounted one. Gun is as reliable as the day is long. I still own this gun and doubt that will ever change.
    Revolvers (I've owned several Taurus big bore revolvers) They are all gone now; every last one of them. Doubt I ever own another. Yes they are probably worth the price of enrty but for a few more bucks just get a Ruger and be done with it. Taurus customer service in my experience sucks and the times I've tried to use it has always been on their revolvers.

In short as long as you don't need their customer service their semi-autos are good guns and in many cases superior to many "name" brand guns that you would expect more from. But if you end up needing service you're better off selling and replacing in my experience.

8. MisterMcCool

No bad reviews so far. :)

9. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I went from a Glock 36 to a Taurus PT745 , for the trigger. It fits me well and always fires.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

They had better be or my brother and my wife have been doing something wrong for 20+ years!!!;)
    I have sold many of them for CC and only had a problem with one of them, a revolver, and I sent it back and had the customer a new one in less than a week. They have a life time warranty.:)

11. MisterMcCool

That warranty sounds great!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4C9ssuPjE[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you get one in Egypt????:p

13. MisterMcCool

No restrictions where I live. :D

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

As far as I am concerned NO. I have not had good luck with Taurus. The warranty worked once when there was no way of repairing the pistol because the frame broke so they did replace it. I sent a PT92 back 3 times and it still was not fixed so I dumped it for a whole lot less than I paid for it to someone who knew the pistol had problems. A Taurus 22 rifle looked like it had been machined on the inside with a dull cold chisel. The dealer took that one back and gave me credit for another gun. There are a several good American made guns in the same price range. Ruger E9, SR9, SR9c, S&W. You can get a CZ P07 for around $450 otd.

15. MisterMcCool

16. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

No

No not in my opinion. They do have an excellent warranty.

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

Evil man gets the jump on 20 men in a room.

Makes them all spread against the wall.

Everyone is searched and weapons taken.

If these were filthy rich people of means, how many of them would have a Taurus handgun? ZERO

If these men were Rangers and Seals, how many of them would have a Taurus handgun? ZERO

If these man were Law Enforcement, FBI, CIA, DEA, Navy Intelligence, how many of them would have a Taurus handgun? ZERO

If these men were illegal aliens, and were fighting and scraping to get by, how many of them would have a Taurus handgun? ???

If these men were new to guns, and did not get the full picture of what a gun is and what it does, how many of them would have a Taurus handgun? ???

EDIT: To be fair, I own a Taurus handgun. A .22 revolver with Mag cylinder. It was Field & Stream handgun of the year 2012, or some such accolade.

I own one, have owned others, have purchased and resold them when I was a FFL gun dealer, but knowing these guns the way I do, I would no more trust my life to one over other guns, than I would a Lama, or Jennings. There is cream, buttermilk, 4%, 2%, 1%, and powdered milk. The world has everything to offer for sale, to someone willing to purchase it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i bought my first used Taurus revolver in 1987. it was a Mod. 66 with a 4" barrel and was an excellent shooting pistol. shot many a round through that pistol. since then, i have owned many different Taurus revolvers and pistols over the years.

several years ago, i saw some of the problems that owners were having with their Taurus pistols and revolvers. it seemed the biggest issue was QC in their plants were not doing the job they should have been doing. granted any company can make a bad product from time to time. that's just the nature of any product that is mass produced. but, where you make the difference is in your QC department and the consumer never sees the defective product if they are doing their job. of lately, i am not seeing as many problems as was the case just a few years ago, so maybe Taurus stepped up and improved their QC department. i hope they did.

so what i have observed over the last several years, (myself included) is that owners of those that work, seem to work and function as they are suppose to and do their job quite well. some have problems that take several trips back to Taurus to be resolved, and some are never actually resolved properly, even after a few trips back and forth.

my observations are this, is that a Taurus you buy more than likely will exhibit problems right out of the box if, they are there. if it's one that will be problematic, it's probably going to show up within the first box of shells. currently the two revolvers i have now, function perfectly, even after many rounds through both of them. because of the number of rounds i have shot through both of them, i do trust both of them without hesitation. the 44 Tracker is my favorite woods gun due to it's size and caliber, and ease of carry. so far in over 25 years of owning Taurus pistols and revolvers, i have been lucky and have never had one that gave me any problems the entire time i owned them.

Taurus can make a good product and at a decent price. Taurus like any other gun manufacturer makes some very good guns, and sometimes they turn out a turd. i like the pistols and revolvers that they make, and i hope they have improved their QC department and continue to improve it. because if they do, they will be a major player in the gun industry without a doubt.

19. AR10

AR10 New Member

I went back and read the advertisement word for word.

Buzz words like

Shake up the shooting world

Topend performance (not sure Topend is one word, it bothers my spell check)

18 rounds, in a 3.5" lightweight handgun. It all sounds good.

Here is what I want in any handgun protecting my A$$et$

World class trainers must have shot millions of rounds through one, and ALL the bugs are out of the design.

Glock 42? I would not bother touching one, for this reason, among others.

Once a platform has a track record, and a legitimate following based upon performance in real world, then I will see how it fits my hands.

I like one odd pistol, a Star PD. Carried one for years. Why? It had a following in CC for law enforcement wanting a small, lightweight 1911 style handgun.

I still own one, just purchased another one to collect, but I would not pick a Star PD as a EDC gun today. Why? It was good enough 20 years ago. Why? Because today, there are better choices. I can pick the playing cards in my hand.

20. MisterMcCool

I have been looking at warranties. Taurus, Hi Point, NAA, EAA, all have lifetime warranties. Kahr and CZ come with five year warranties. Glock and Kimber only give one year warranties. :confused: