Are Take Down Lever Action Rifles Accurate?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WhipLash, Sep 18, 2010.

1. WhipLash

WhipLash New Member

Hello everyone. I am wondering if anyone knows whether take down rifles are accurate. In particular I'd like to know if lever action take down rifles are generally accurate.

I am considering a purchase of a Browning BLR take down in .243 or 7mm-08.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Please define your version of "accurate".

In the realm of "hunting game" - Yes, they can be quite accurate.

In the realm of "human hunting" or benchrest shooting - No, not even in the same ballpark as the word accurate. It might not even be in the same sport. :eek:

JD

3. WhipLash

WhipLash New Member

Lets compare the accuracy of a Browning BLR in take down vs a Browning BLR that is not a take down. Are there noticable differences in accuracy at 100yds, 200yds, 300yds? I am talking hunting and target shooting -- not people shooting.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Should be just as accurate as all the firing mechanism is housed in the upper the lower holds the trigger group.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If well made a take down lever gun can be about as accurate as a solid version. It is entirely possible the take down gun will shoot about 1/2" larger groups than the comparable non-takedown versionk.

6. WhipLash

WhipLash New Member

Thanks for the info Robocop. I have a lever action Marlin in 336 and it shoots 1" at 100yds. This may be the exception rather than the rule but I think most lever actions should shoot about the same at this distance. Now whether to buy a take down or not is the question. Thanks for the help.