Are refrigerator food trucks heated?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Are refrigerator food trucks heated? It's -27F here now. I was wondering what happens to perishables in the trucks when it's this cold?

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

most refers are temperature controlled. I operate a number of them myself. Mine all can keep loads frozen or prevent them from being frozen. That is the norm

there are also insulated blankets that can be thrown on top of loads that are travelling short distances to prevent freezing when using a dry van

3. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I feel for ya V, we can literally watch the damn thermometer drop hour by hour, its minus 5 now an hour after we passed zero and heading to the minus 20 your getting by late tonight!

Reefer Trucks carrying highly Perishable products are supposed to be in "conditioned" storage but not really heated per se. They keep the interior of the trailer between preset ranges High/ Low and most use a defrost like cycle to keep the temp above danger of freeze if freezing is not desirable. Most of the long haulers actually run a data logger Time/ Temp to prove their cargo was stored within the shippers standards. Even during -20 days, frozen foods still have to be transported in reefers just in case, one oh Sh!t and the entire load could be toast.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now it is +46F and we are expecting +74F. That is why we have so many snow birds in town. When it gets to 120+F in summer I become a sun bird and fly to the mountains.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Good question, Vincine. I wonder that in regards to people who have freezers and refrigerators in their garages. I have a small chest freezer and it's in my basement. But I don't know about the ones that are not in a controlled temp. What about pop machines outside of stores or gas stations?

6. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Let me guess...they freeze? :D

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I had a neighbor who worked in Antarctica. He said the freezer had a radiator so the food didn't get colder than 0F.

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I'm just thankful that I've never needed to ask that question! :eek:

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

For those types of extreme situations a heater might he necessary. hotter and colder are relative terms. So if it's -5 out but you run a reefer at 40 degrees, it's technically heating the product, or at the very least keeping it from freezing.

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine

10. WebleyFosbery38

I drove a Refrigerator truck this morning by mistake! Not a Mack, A Dodge Fridge-Kota. It was -15, prewarmed it unsuccessfully (no heat whatsoever) while noting an elevated but not high temp. A mile down the road, the gauge starts climbing, pulled off before it popped and froze for about twenty minutes until the thermostat finally freed up. The best feeling ever to have heat coming out those vents for sure, I was frosty!

11. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Can't say about the equipment used in the U.S. but in Canada I drove the "Fruit Haul" from the West coast to the to the lake head one winter ( +45 F. to -35 F). Load, start the "reefer, set temp,and go so long as the unit keeps running all good.
    Dan

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

gf
    My first car was a 1969 VW bug. No heat..........ever........no matter what. I would often drive down the road scraping frost off the INSIDE of the windshield. The only way to prevent the inside frost would be to stop breathing. :(

13. WebleyFosbery38

Only -12 below this morning, a high of 9 expected, a heatwave for sure! My dad died when I was 6 in a car accident, Mom bought VW Bugs from that day forward, they were just like little hard top jeeps. The heaters worked the first 2 years (barely) but the vent ducts would rot out quickly in NY winters so Ive felt those cold vinyl seats your talking about many times! They were great cars but lacked a few things like space and heat that would have made life a bit nicer for me and my 2 sisters on long vacations across the country in it.

I am hoping to have a bit better start this morning, sitting in my frozen truck at the side of the road in -15 without heat for half an hour sucked bad! By the time I was feeling heat, I was shaking like a Gay guy at a weenie roast! Could have been much worse if I didnt keep a blanket and extra gloves in the truck.

Lesson learned or relearned, always buy a vehicle with real gauges in it! If I had driven until an idiot light lit up and it overheated, the outcome wouldnt have been nearly as fun as it turned out!