Are P-TAC uppers any good?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by beastmode986, Feb 26, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

2. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I have no experience with the P-TAC line but IMHO I eould save a bit longer and get the genuine PSA products. The price difference is small enough I would spring for the regular upper. In my experience you get what you pay for but as I have said I only have experience with the premium PSA uppers and say they are worth every penny, esp when you catch them on sale.

3. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Palmetto premium stuff is just that...premium. I have many rifles using their uppers or total parts and there is just no stopping them. P tac is outsourced from another company and serviceable for guns that are not going to receive a lot of shooting, my buddy has a PSA supplied P tac which has a non chrome lined barrel and inexpensive BCG wrapped in a nice Mid West Ind rail that he bought on the cheap. On paper it shows.

4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I have PSA premium stuff but this question has been asked many times and it seems the majority of the answers are stay away from P-tac go with PSA premium.
    It seems for the PSA stuff it's just a little bit more not much

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

5. michael a

michael a New Member

I have a ptac upper on a build that I done for my son. I have no complaints. It's the ptac m4 upper no chrome lined with a 1 in 9 twist. Don't have a lot of rounds through it probably 100-150 so far and only had 1 fail to feed and it was a old mag got a new mag and it runs fine. Have not tried to drive tacks with it but he did kill a deer with it this year. It's done everything we have needed it to do so no complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bought one of their PTac LPKs for a cheap build and it was the smoothest and shortest take up of 14-15 premium LPKs that I have purchased from them . Now I cant say that about the next kit because it may not be like that but I was pretty impressed with it . I cant say much about the upper as I owned one for about 3 weeks and turned it , I never got to fire it but the finish was OK I think they use blem uppers as the interior of the upper had anodizing flaws but who looks at the inside anyway ? For the money I think they are pretty decent but they are not Chrome lined and for the little bit of extra $$$ I would go with a premium upper and at least have a CL or even better a HF/ CL barrel

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Thanks guys, so the premiums are pretty good for the money? Im thinking ill save for one of those. I haven't had the best luck when I cheap out on stuff.

8. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Wise decision. I've bought two premium uppers from them over the last few months and just got to shoot them the other day. They were both flawless. A premium BCG came with one of them, it is also good quality.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

They're quite good...for the price.

I'd greatly prefer a PTAC build to a DPMS.
    But I'd still prefer to spend an extra $100 for a PSA upper of similar format.

10. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Also, are the premium uppers better than the del-ton uppers?

And what's the main advantage of a mid length gas system or one of the 20" uppers with the rifle length gas system?

11. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mid length slows down the cycle rate slightly (you'll never notice a difference, like hundreds of a second) and is overall less pressure which results in less wear and tear in the long run. Also I think another reason people buy them is because they have slightly less recoil? I've always read mid length is better, so that's what I bought, and I love it. I feel like when I shoot my Dad's, it's got more recoil (there's not much at all to start with) and overall seems more like it's designed for fully auto or burst. Mid length seems the right pace to me. This may be incorrect, just my thoughts, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Premium PSA and Del Ton are comparable quality, I have both and cannot say anything bad about them after many rounds of ammo. My Del Tons do not have chrome lined bores but are quite accurate, whereas all of my PSA rifles are chrome and several CHF. What more is there? They all shoot, give no problems and use quality parts. Because of the price Del Ton is often overlooked or put in the "low tier" by the elitists, but this is not so.

13. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I love my PSA upper. Arrived in about 10 days. Very nice fit and finish and is a tack driver. It has a mid length gas system with a Kmod hand rail. I paid right at 400 with shipping and all. I have seen similar hand rails for over half that price. Couldn't be happier. Right now it's on my Bushmaster lower but I am in the middle of a build.

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok so, I have narrowed it down to two uppers. A JSE 16" upper with bcg and charging handle for 370$ or a psa premium upper with bcg and charging handle for 410$
    These prices are before shipping. Everything I read about the jse uppers was good besides 1 or 2 bad reviews. What do you guys think? Are the jse uppers good?

15. FrontierTCB

I would go with the PSA premium. There quality is on par with higher end manufacturers.

Also, they have free shipping until this Sunday I think.

16. FrontierTCB

17. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

alright thanks!

18. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I agree---PSA Premium has allways been a good buy for me.

19. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I recently shot my new PSA upper. It's a tac driver and I love it. Shot steel with no problem. About 400 rds without a hicup

20. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014