Are Nickle Boron BCG's worth the pricetag?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JoshH, Dec 12, 2013.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Thinking of picking up a nickel boron BCG from Spikes Tactical but outside of the cool factor are they really worth $200+ for a BCG? Does the life of the part increase or is it just harder for fouling to stick? Pros and cons please.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Not in my personal opinion......

3. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Thanks Tikki, your personal oppinion is appreciated:) Hey it looks cool, and I have spent an extra hundy on worse things!lol

4. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Are they worth it? I guess to the purchaser they must be I have rifles with Nic Bor carriers and without, they are smooth and clean easily but work just the same as a well oiled phosphated carrier. I have never had a malfunction with either type. The price of a proper BCG is close to $200 with Nic Boron about twenty bucks more.....it's up to you but they sure are "purdy" :)

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd say forget about fancy coatings and concentrate on the quality of the bolt and carrier. Look at BCM's BCG specs to see what's really important. The fancy BCG falls short or doesn't give full specs? Move on...

6. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Pass on the NiBor coating here . Im not a blingy kinda person , I just want flawless function. Hoppes cleans up the standrd BCGs just fine

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

It does make cleaning a bit easier.

If you save yourself $100, that's like 10 magazines. A mid range priced muzzle brake. A Stock upgrade. Money towards a better trigger. About 250 rounds of loaded ammo. A set of Magpul BUIS. A Set of PSA alloy BUIS.

Money better spent elsewhere on your rifle. Hell a Rainier Arms Ambi CH or even the BADASS ambi safety selector is money better spent.

I've had ni boron, hard chrome bcgs, its really not worth it.

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

To me it's just cosmetic. Easier to clean? Yes maybe.
    But cleaning the gun throughly is another enjoying part to me.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I haven't been impressed with them. That doesn't mean some of the NiB's aren't great (FailZero BCG boasts a strong following, as does Spike's), but maybe the 'blingyness' doesn't really appeal to me.

I'll trust any number of BCG's that can be had for $80-140 (AIM Surplus has one linked in the DEALS thread right now that strikes me as a great deal for $99). I've had good luck with PSA and Spikes that cost around $100-140. And I'll pay a premium for BCM or a quality cerakoted M16 BCG (both about $200). I've been very happy with the function, smooth action, and ease of cleaning of the microslick/cerakoted STS Arms BCGs. I'm not stating it's superior to NiB, but rather it better suits my tastes and has yet to let me down.

11. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

+1 on the ceracoated BCG's. Also painting the BCG with duracoat and the lubraslick additive has worked for me a couple of times. Lets you match your BCG into your camo. A white BCG on a winter camo rifle looks sweet! Not much shows but that spot of black when the cover is open looks out of place to me. ;)

If you do it strip and paint just the carrier body, then reinstall the small parts. Make sure you torque the gas key bolts and restake properly. Leave the bolt head alone and don't coat the hole it fits into on the inside. This can cause binding on the gas rings. Best off to mask off and just spray the outside.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013