Are guns in bars legal in your state?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by KellyS, Jun 19, 2011.

1. KellyS

KellyS New Member

I live in Ohio and have had my CCW for 3 years. Our Governor is about to sign a bill allowing me to carry my legal weapon, concealed, into liquor establishments (from Red Lobster to the ever popular "Dew Drop Inn".) That is, so long as the proprieter of the bar has not posted a "No Guns Allowed" sign.

As you might imagine, this new legislation has been hotly discussed in the media as the second coming of the gunfight at the OK corral. Just like the issuance of the CCW's was when it was legalized.

The one fact that the opponents completely ignore in their hysterical warnings is that this is already legal (or so I am told) in many other states. Without mass shootings over spilled Lobsteritas. Apparently we Ohioans are a different breed from the rest of you guys. WE cannot be trusted.

My question is, in just HOW MANY (and WHICH) states can you carry your loaded weapon legally in a liquor establishment? I have seen different numbers mentioned and my guide to the firearms laws in the 50 states does not seem to mention this one aspect.

I know I could (and eventually will) go the the websites for the various states and get a definitive answer. But I thought it be interesting to hear the various differences in the law in each state from more concerned individuals.

I would also be interested to know if your state has the "No Guns" sign and what the penalty is for ignoring it.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Iowa allows carry in bars. If discovered with a weapon in an establishment with posted no guns allowed, there is no penalty unless you refuse to leave then you are charged with trespassing.

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Good info.

As for the bar thing though, I get pretty stupid when drinking and would save my *** by just leaving it at home. I'd get drunk and try cleaning it on the bar or something stupid like that.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Except for the few places stipulated in the law like schools. Get caught carrying there and you're in deep kimshee. And carrying while intoxicated is strictly verboten.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

They say 4 out of 10 cars you pass on the road has a gun in it...That's alot when you think about it.....If there all legal or not is another story.....Think of ALL the cars you pass every day...If that's true....That's alot of guns....I bet the tow yard for cars gets all kinds of stuff after they tow a car...and...You know they do...A friend of mine had his car towed and they cleaned it-out...trunk and all...........

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In Virginia you may carry in a bar, but not imbibe while carrying concealed. Originally you could, but for several years, you could NOT carry, and now, once again, you can. Has not been a problem.

Would ask a reporter to find ONE instance of a "streets running with blood" gloom and doom forecast being accurate. It ain't happened, Bub- but THAT ain't news. :cool:

7. KBlue

KBlue New Member

Pretty psyched about this. I've always been a subscriber to the belief that you should be allowed to carry anywhere as long as you are not intoxicated or otherwise unfit to handle a firearm. Does this mean I'm going to be strapped every time I go in a bar? No. Does it mean I'll be strapped every time I go out to dinner and I am the designated driver? Bet your ***.

8. ProShooter

ProShooter New Member

and the funny part is, there is no such thing as a "bar" in Virginia! :)

9. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

C3 is correct for VA, you can carry, but you cannot drink basically. The bars are basically told that if they know you have one, dont serve you any alcoholic drink at all.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tennessee has the law that allows carry into bars. But amended it to give the bar owner the right to post a no carry policy on the establishment.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

our wis upcoming sb93 carry in bars is ok long as the carry person isnt drinking.

i hear more about police officers shooting people unlawfully than i do ccw peeps doing it. granted police as individuals are put into more situations that may require deadly force but there are more ccw/oc civilians than cops.

would be interesting to see some data on ccw/oc illegal shoots vs police illegal shoots.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  12. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Here in Utah, you can carry into a bar. It isn't encouraged as it's a big deal if you're carrying while intoxicated, as usual.

13. woodswalker

woodswalker New Member

Carrying in a bar is legal in Minnesota unless posted. You can have a drink but your blood alcohol level has to be below .04 so its not really recommended.

14. steve666

steve666 New Member

In Indiana it's legal.

15. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Alabama is a no. No CCW's in bars.

16. KellyS

KellyS New Member

For further detail on what is apparently happening in Ohio, the current bill waiting for the Governor's signature allows licensed CCW's to carry their weapon into a liquor establishment but we are not allowed to have even one sip of our friend's margherita or we face a felony charge. It is ice tea or the highway.

We also cannot arrive at the establishment "under the influence" while carrying. This condition is up for some discussion since it seems to differ from the "under the influence" definition for driving a vehicle. No one has made the difference abundantly clear.

We still have to honor the posted "NO Guns Allowed Signs" or we face other criminal prosecution, to include losing our CCW permit. I look forward to having the criminal aspect of that sign removed.

No one has addressed the potential liability to the establishment who posts the no gun sign. Should there be a subsequent shooting and an otherwise safely armed CCW gets shot and or killed because he left his gun in the car, somebody is gonna have some serious legal complications. I bet there are not a few lawyers looking to catch that case.

I have a companion announcement that needs to be posted right next to the No Guns Signs. It will fully explain the situation:

WARNING!!!

Any/all murderers, robbers, rapists, thugs, banditos, muggers, car-jackers, mental patients with too much (or too little) medication, as well as you ordinary, garden variety wackos, please be advised. If you choose to disregard the OFFICIAL SIGN posted here and DARE to bring a gun on these premises, YOU are gonna be in REAL TROUBLE!

Once you are done shooting up the place, those people that you manage to NOT kill during your violent rampage are probably gonna tell the cops on you. And, if and when the cops catch you, and if and when you get convicted of this heinous crime, the judge (wanting to show he/she is “tough on crime” to impress the voters) just MAY add an additional 6 WHOLE MONTHS to your multiple life sentences for committing this additional misdemeanor. This WILL go on your PERMANENT RECORD!!! DO NOT say you were not warned!!!

In other words, please accept this sign as Management’s open invitation to do whatever the hell you feel like with NO FEAR. That is because this sign (and its related legal restrictions) means that there will be not a single decent, law abiding, properly trained and licensed armed taxpayer to shoot back at you. How cool is that???

No wonder you guys NEVER shoot up Police Stations or gun stores. It is ALWAYS churches, schools and places like THIS. Can you shoot fish in a barrel? Let’s find out.

In their infinite wisdom, the Management of this establishment has decided that they would rather accept TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND FINANCIAL LIABILITY for the health and safety of all the employees, customers, vendors, etc. than allow honest citizens the legal means to defend themselves from scum like you. Millions of lawyers can’t wait to get their hands on THIS case.

Have a nice day!

17. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

It's illegal in tx to carry in any establishment that make 50% or more of it income from sales of alcohol ment to be consumed on site unless you are a on duty leo. Also the tx dps site is evil. It some how killed my computer.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Texas would be a real problem for me. Darn, if I had to go over the books in every bar I would give up Booze and Guns. What if you choose a bar that only does 49.9% of their Biz in Food? That one % could put you in jail?:confused:

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

need to print that out and just tack em up next to the "legal" signs regardless lololol

20. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

That's what the law says. I would get you the laws # but I don't want that site to kill my phone to