Are Carbines treated like long guns?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by soyeahiknow, Jul 3, 2010.

1. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

Hi everyone,

So I am interested in buying a 9mm carbine, and I was wondering if they are looked upon as long guns in the eye of the law. The state laws I am looking at are Ohio (my home state) and New York ( where I go to college, not New York City). Thanks!

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Dude, YES
    A carbine is still a long gun, just with a shorter barrel

3. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure though, since NY has more strict laws that ohio. I am thinking about buying one in Ohio and taking it to NY to keep in my apartment this fall.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't know about the States you mention, but it is commonly accepted that a carbine is a shorter rifle. Thus, it's a long gun/rifle.

BTW, welcome here. Please head over to the New Member Introductions forum and introduce yourself to the gang.

5. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Carbine and Long Guns the same?

I don't think they are, But some one will come along and post the whole thruth about the matter. I luv long Guns.....:)

6. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

bump?? does anyone have a definite answer? and the carbine I am talking about is the Kel-Tec one so it definitely is long enough as a rifle.

7. General_lee

General_lee New Member

A carbine IS a long gun.
    It's NOT a long gun if it only has a pistol grip and no butt stock.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Carbines, shotguns and rifles are generally treated as longguns versus handguns. Bear in mind that Ohio and New York law guides the sale, purchase and possession of firearms. A gun you can legally purchase in Ohio may still be illegal to possess in New York. Federal law will protect you while transporting but once you stop travelling beyond a reasonable time you could have a problem.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Carbines are long guns. You can build a pistol from what would normally be a long gun. Like those AR pistols you see. But I am not sure just how those are dealt with once they are built. It seems that they have to be registered as a pistol and at that point cannot be turned into a rifle or visa-versa. But If I'm right about where I read that I would not believe it to be an absolute truth. It was not on any government page so that info could well be false. It seems though the paperwork done by an FFL and the serial they would keep in their books one could track a weapon that was sold as a long gun and if it where modified to be a pistol they could dig up the original info.

Where I live (Ky.) a carbine is a long gun.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!

Once a receiver is completed into a firearm, it must stay in the same category forever (unless you pay NFA taxes).

A completed handgun cannot have a shoulder stock added (W/O the whole NFA route) even if the barrel is over 16".

A completed rifle cannot have a barrel shorter than 16" (W/O the whole NFA route) even if you take off the shoulder stock.

If a receiver is obtained, BRAND NEW, NEVER having been assembled into a complete firearm, it can be completed into either a handgun or a rifle. Some poeple got themselves screwed up some years back by taking Remington 600 receivers and making long range sillhouette pistols out of them (ala XP-100). Remington NEVER sold model 600 receivers, only model 600 rifles. So installing a sub 16" barrel on ANY Remington 600 receiver is a Federal NO NO!

11. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

I know in the state of NY, having a long gun does not need a license or anything. I believe that should be fine even if I buy the gun in Ohio or one of it's reciprocal states like Penn.

Also, the only time I am taking it out of my house is to the shooting range and the only time the police will know I have a long gun would be if I stopped or shot a home invasion. Then, I could care less if they cite me for having a long gun.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

What he heck are you talking about. First of all, you can't buy a gun in another state without having that gun transferred to an FFL in your state. As far as being cited by police for having a gun that you are not in legal possession is a felony...

Where do you get your info or your ideas? I believe that you are being totally honest with this forum as to your age or legal status of even owning a gun.

You smell of troll.

13. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

um? a troll? DO you even know what that word means? Why would I be a troll when I am asking legit questions?

Here is the source.

"Any adult resident of Ohio, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia.

Any adult resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Ohio. Any such purchase must be for such purposes and under such circumstances as required by federal law. "

Ohio Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Ohio

14. soyeahiknow

soyeahiknow New Member

and the reason I looked up this law was because I couldn't buy a gun in NY with my Ohio driver's license. also because I was thinking of stopping in Penn to buy a gun since I don't want my parents freaking out about me having a gun and they will find out if I bought it in Ohio

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well, heck, that is different. And, no, I am too stupid to know what the word "troll" means. Enlighten me.

You can purchase long guns in the other states, like the law says. Now here's the kicker, the FFL in those states must be licensed to sell those guns without a transfer to your state of residence being Ohio. I doubt you can walk into a gun store in Eastern PA and buy a long gun with an Ohio ID and walk out of that store with said long gun. Now, in Western PA, it would be a different story. But, living in NY, you need to follow NY laws in regards to possession and transportation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  16. coolfez

coolfez New Member

lol i have no idea what troll means either, I just see so many ppl saying "oh he/she is a troll" on posts where I don't see how that even applies.

So yeah, most likely I will just buy a gun in Ohio and hide it in my suitcase when I leave to go back to college.

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Carbine vrs. Long gun

You need to go back 100 years,:eek::)

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I'll try again...the issue is not purchasing a rifle, carbine, etc. You can do that in Ohio as a legal resident or in certain border states as well, I believe. The issue is that you plan to transport the rifle into New York and stay there. Try that in New Jersey and you become a felon. You are permitted to pass through a state as a non-resident in possession of a gun as long as you follow certain requirements, take up temporary residence and you MAY have a problem. I am only suggesting that you know what NY laws are, not simply believe them to be something.

19. IDVague

IDVague New Member

Unless the laws have changed, I have bought long guns with out-of-state ID more than once. As a resident of Tennessee, I bought a shotgun in Alabama. Earlier, as an Alabama resident I bought a few rifles in Tennessee. But, I think the question here is not about legally purchasing the carbine, but about whether or not it was legal to possess it in The Peoples Republic of New York. My advice to the young man is to forget about New York's legal system and protect yourself. Buy the gun legally (because you can) and keep it in a safe and easily accessible (by you) place.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I understand that the law is the law. And that it must be followed. But I have to ask...who is the idiot that came up with this stuff. Why would the ATF care if someone wanted to put a rifle stock on a pistol? I mean, a gun is a gun. Am I the only one that thinks this is completely stupid?

And yes, I obey the law. All my guns are legal!