Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Banned
7000 grains in a pound, so a 115 grain bullet weighs ~0.016 pounds.

;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
7000 grains in a pound, so a 115 grain bullet weighs ~0.016 pounds.

;)
ok lol, you clearly really know your stuff which is awesome!! :D And thank you very much for taking the time and helping me out.

But once you brought in numbers, you鈥檝e lost me lol. So I鈥檓 still confused on the O ring part, like the size I need or if an assortment kit will work in finding which one fits.

Banned
ok lol, you clearly really know your stuff which is awesome!! :D And thank you very much for taking the time and helping me out.

But once you brought in numbers, you鈥檝e lost me lol. So I鈥檓 still confused on the O ring part lol, like the size I need or if an assortment kit will work in finding which one fits.
Thanks for the kind words, once I got serious about college, I tried to pay attention and retain a few things.

I would try the 12.37 inch diameter O ring. Take your barrel only and go to an old fashion hardware store, and pick up a few o rings, don't buy hundreds you will never use.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the kind words, once I got serious about college, I tried to pay attention and retain a few things.

I would try the 12.37 inch diameter O ring. Take your barrel only and go to an old fashion hardware store, and pick up a few o rings, don't buy hundreds you will never use.
Perfect!

I get my barrel, thread protector and brake in today. So later this week, I鈥檒l bring my barrel and stop by a hardware store and play with a few O rings and see which ones fit and buy a handful of them.

Only 1 goes on the barrel right? That should be plenty to prevent slipping?

Banned
Perfect!

I get my barrel, thread protector and brake in today. So later this week, I鈥檒l bring my barrel and stop by a hardware store and play with a few O rings and see which ones fit and buy a handful of them.

Only 1 goes on the barrel right? That should be plenty to prevent slipping?
Yep you got it, 1 o ring at a time. Replace when it breaks or gets damaged.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yep you got it, 1 o ring at a time. Replace when the break or get damaged.
Ok I got it, well thanks again Gator for taking the time and helping me out with all these questions I had and stuff, I really appreciate it!

I do plan on getting a suppressor in the near future as I鈥檓 saving up for one. And so all this info on threaded barrels, brakes, thread protectors, the different TPI鈥檚, LH & RH barrels/muzzle devices, and stuff will come in super handy when shopping for a suppressor.

There鈥檚 a LGS not too far from me that sells suppressors, and when it comes the time to buy one, I wanna bring my handgun in and see which one fits before buying it and also pick up some subsonic ammo while I鈥檓 there. And the best thing is they鈥檝e got an indoor shooting range, so they actually let you play with your suppressor there while you wait for your tax stamp.

Banned
There鈥檚 a LGS not too far from me that sells suppressors, and when it comes the time to buy one, I wanna bring my handgun in and see which one fits before buying it and also pick up some subsonic ammo while I鈥檓 there. And the best thing is they鈥檝e got an indoor shooting range, so they actually let you play with your suppressor there while you wait for your tax stamp.
Yes it is ice to be able to practice with you supressor while awaiting the tax stamp.

My LGS that sold me my suppressors is a range officer at an outdoor range, so he would take the can to the range and I would meet him there to shoot.

Premium Member
You did the right thing avoiding Cash Ap. Do not deal with anyone that only accepts Cash Ap or Zelle.

Reactions: PANDEMIC

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My barrel and thread protector just now delivered and they both fit, barrel drops in the slide and thread protector fits on perfectly. Still waiting on the brake. Will post pics later when the brake comes in.

I got one more question, do I need to clean the barrel before shooting or can I just use it how it came?

if I do need to clean it, it will have to wait possibly later this week since it鈥檚 been raining lately and still is for the next 2 days.

I may buy the O rings this week if I have time if not, then later is fine. I don鈥檛 plan on doing mag dumps with my pistol anytime soon and so I鈥檓 in no rush.

Banned
My barrel and thread protector just now delivered and they both fit, barrel drops in the slide and thread protector fits on perfectly. Still waiting on the brake. Will post pics later when the brake comes in.

I got one more question, do I need to clean the barrel before shooting or can I just use it how it came?

if I do need to clean it, it will have to wait possibly later this week since it鈥檚 been raining lately and still is for the next 2 days.

I may buy the O rings this week if I have time if not, then later is fine. I don鈥檛 plan on doing mag dumps with my pistol anytime soon and so I鈥檓 in no rush.
Squirt some oil in the barrel and drag a bore snake through it and go a shootin' is my normal routine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I went ahead and cleaned my new barrel outside real quick since it鈥檚 not raining for a little while. Still waiting on the brake, and as soon as it comes in, I will run 2 rounds with the thread protector attached and with the muzzle brake attached as well and see how it does.

I will run it some more at a range another time, but here at home, I鈥檝e got neighbors in the vicinity for 1, and so don鈥檛 wanna make too much noise. And 2, 9mm is expensive and hard to find these days lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You did the right thing avoiding Cash Ap. Do not deal with anyone that only accepts Cash Ap or Zelle.
yep, it just seemed a little sketchy to do cash app, money orders, checks etc. So I bought from a seller that鈥檚 an FFL dealer and he responded to my questions instantly.

I asked the other seller (the one with the cash app) one question and he answered, then asked about the cash app thing and he still hasn鈥檛 responded and so that鈥檚 what gave me the thought that something didn't seem right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Need some quick help, my muzzle brake came in and it threads in perfectly, but I can鈥檛 get it timed properly. The 2 holes are facing the side instead of up aka 12 o鈥檆lock position. And I鈥檝e tried without the crusher washer and still get the same results.

Any Ideas?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This is how my muzzle brake is timed,

621324B6-0C81-4AB1-80BC-FB802CC58AEF.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Can I still shoot it even if it鈥檚 not timed correctly?, I mean it鈥檚 a $15 brake, I don鈥檛 thing it will really do a whole lot anyways. I just bought it to have something to play with on my new barrel.

Banned
Can I still shoot it even if it鈥檚 not timed correctly?, I mean it鈥檚 a $15 brake, I don鈥檛 thing it will really do a whole lot anyways. I just bought it to have something to play with on my new barrel.
Yes, you can shoot it.

You or someone will need to put the barrel in a padded vise and "crush" the washer until the brake is properly aligned. That is why it is called a crush washer, tighten until alignment is correct.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Yes, you can shoot it.

Thank you! Will try running a few test rounds tomorrow with the thread protector on and lastly with the brake.

You or someone will need to put the barrel in a padded vise and "crush" the washer until the brake is properly aligned. That is why it is called a crush washer, tighten until alignment is correct.
Won鈥檛 this make the brake a permanent install?

I would prefer to just swap from thread protector to brake whenever I鈥檇 like.

So like I鈥檒l carry it with a threaded barrel/protector and then at the range, just throw on the brake and go to town you know? Can I do it that way?

Because I googled a little bit and once the washer is crushed, it needs to be replaced every time the brake is reinstalled.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts