Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to buy this stainless steel barrel and muzzle brake.

I’m wanting to know if the muzzle brake will work with the barrel I want.

Pistol: Glock 17 Gen 4

Barrel: Made from 416R Stainless Steel, BCA threaded 9mm barrel for Gen 1-4
Glock 17’s. 1:16 twist and 1/2 x 28 thread pitch. Rated for +P ammo and button rifled.

3B4CA468-476F-40B6-915E-20900F6A6D30.jpeg

Muzzle brake:
  • 1/2x28 thread pitch
  • This brake is designed for the 9mm platform
  • Crush washer included
  • Engraved on top and bottom
  • CNC machined heat treated steel
  • 2 3/8" long
  • 3.68 ounces
  • Reduces recoil and muzzle climb
  • Front diameter is 23mm

8EAE2457-BAF2-4EC0-A7EA-291D592F6633.jpeg

So I just have one question, is the brake compatible with the barrel?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see no reason the brake would cause problems on the barrel.

It may look tactikewl, but don't expect miracles.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure and double check before buying. And it’s for the range, so for sure I won’t expect miracles.

Also on the muzzle brake description it also says this:

Installation Tips:
When this brake is installed, the two small holes should be indexed along the top line of the barrel. The crush washer will allow you to torque the brake until the two holes arrive at the 12 o'clock position.

So that means that the two small holes need to be aligned with the barrel as in facing up? aka 12 o’clock

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey also one more thing, any thread protector that’s 1/2 x 28 thread pitch will work right? It doesn’t have to be specific to the caliber of the barrel?

Thread Protector Info: 1/2-28 TPI Barrel Thread Protector (USA Made) Dimensions: 3/4” Long x 3/4”
Outside Diameter: 5/8 Thread Depth
300 Series Stainless Steel

7EDAD7FB-1A72-4E0B-9876-0B482AFEB26D.jpeg

·
Proud to be an American
3,643 Posts
I have a few muzzle brakes and IMO the increase in muzzle blast is not worth the trade off particularly if shooting in an indoor or enclosed shooting range.

·
Banned
11,760 Posts
Hey also one more thing, any thread protector that’s 1/2 x 28 thread pitch will work right? It doesn’t have to be specific to the caliber of the barrel?

Thread Protector Info: 1/2-28 TPI Barrel Thread Protector (USA Made) Dimensions: 3/4” Long x 3/4”
Outside Diameter: 5/8 Thread Depth
300 Series Stainless Steel
Correct, match the specs of the thread protector to those of the threaded portion of your barrel. The "depth" of the thread protector could be of concern, measure the length of the threaded portion of your barrel. Your example has 5/8" thread depth, if your barrel had say 11/16" or 3/4" thread length, them some threads could be exposed.

I venture to guess that 5/8' should protect the vast majority of 1/2-28 threaded pistol barrels. You want the thread protector to snug up against the "shoulder" on the non-threaded portion of the barrel, leaving no threads exposed to damage.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, match the specs of the thread protector to those of the threaded portion of your barrel. The "depth" of the thread protector could be of concern, measure the length of the threaded portion of your barrel. Your example has 5/8" thread depth, if your barrel had say 11/16" or 3/4" thread length, them some threads could be exposed.

I venture to guess that 5/8' should protect the vast majority of 1/2-28 threaded pistol barrels. You want the thread protector to snug up against the "shoulder" on the non-threaded portion of the barrel, leaving no threads exposed to damage.
Ok gotcha well again thank you very much!
I’m fixing to buy the barrel, brake and thread protector later today. I’ve been pushing it back and fourth for so many months thinking I want it then no I don’t want it. And so like screw it lol, I’m just gonna buy it. So I just wanted to double check all the specs and stuff before buying it. The barrel is off of Gunbroker and brake and thread protector is off of eBay.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barrel can also shoot lead bullets, and so I asked the seller if it can shoot jacketed bullets as well, and it’s a yes! So yay!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I bought a different threaded barrel since that stainless steel one, the seller only accepted shady offers like cash app and stuff.

Anyways I bought this one,

B1E592BA-7532-48FE-B6DA-145B6388BAC1.jpeg

This is the info,

0296914F-A226-4A52-84C0-FF32E0B8DC89.jpeg

I asked some questions, and yes it is a drop in, yes it does fit Gen 4 Glocks, but no it doesn’t come with a thread protector.

So I asked him what size for the thread protector I need so I can find one and he said this.

82535A2B-E454-480B-A768-8A1EAAB3505D.jpeg

So I bought this one,

81867644-18F2-4702-86F7-B0EDE51F6ECF.jpeg

Thread Protector Info,

78BC1E65-5C76-4A76-9ABF-826294D4AA80.jpeg

And I still bought the same muzzle brake in the first post since it’s the same TPI as the barrel.

EB684907-F743-48C2-A39B-A651191A50B7.jpeg

83FCBF5F-0EF8-4AC3-9146-CF0D8ED7CAAE.jpeg

Sorry for the long post, but I’m still new to this and so it can get confusing at times, are they still compatible with each other, as in the thread protector and muzzle brake with the barrel?

·
Banned
11,760 Posts
Sorry for the long post, but I’m still new to this and so it can get confusing at times, are they still compatible with each other, as in the thread protector and muzzle brake with the barrel?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might also get you a few O rings to help keep the thread protector from slipping. Something like this...
Thank you so much! Will definitely pick up a few, I’ve heard of thread protector’s eventually slipping after firing a few mags or so.

However, which options do I choose for the O ring?Amazon has different selections to choose, not sure which ones apply to a 9mm threaded barrel.

·
Banned
11,760 Posts
Thank you so much! Will definitely pick up a few, I’ve heard of thread protector’s eventually slipping after firing a few mags or so.

However, which options do I choose for the O ring?Amazon has different selections to choose, not sure which ones apply to a 9mm threaded barrel.
High temperature compatible.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Yeah, Gator is right. The Viton material is good for high temp and not susceptible to chemical degradation.
Poke around and you can find 5 or 10 packs pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh okay I get it now, should I just get a Viton O ring kit that comes with a variety of O rings and test each one until which ever one fits on the barrel? But it’s better if it’s Viton brand right that way it’s for high temperature use and not susceptible to chemical degradation correct?

Like would something like this work?

07F6A7A3-F458-467D-906F-8A73F927E956.jpeg

And one O ring is all you need on the barrel to prevent slipping right?

·
Banned
11,760 Posts
A useful conversion is 2.54 cm per inch, or 25.4 mm per inch.

So, the threaded portion of the barrel is 1/2 inch diameter barrel 12.7 mm in diameter.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts