Are bolt action shotguns any good

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Plinkster, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Are they I've asked and got mixed opinions I think they're good but I don't know.

Sent from my iPad in Iowa using Firearms Talk

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

good for what? I guess it depends on what your definition of good is, and what the intended purpose of the shotgun is. good is rather subjective term and will vary from one person to the next.

several manufacturers use to make them for years and sold thousands of them in various gauges and styles.

if you want better answers, you really need to give a little more detail as to what you are wanting to find out.

is a Corvette a good car? as sports car, it's decent, but it can't haul too many bales of hay!

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well..... that calls for an opinion. Not bad, but generally would not be my first choice.

The only one that is still in production that I can think of is the Savage, but they have been made by Marlin, H&R, High Standard and most notably, Mossberg. They are still used in states that do not permit rifle hunting.

They are generally not as quick on a second shot as a pump or auto, but with practice, you can be faster than you think.

Most were durable, reliable, and inexpensive. They tended to be the gun of the working man or the young shooter. If the gun fits the shooter, they can be as accurate as any shotgun.

Somewhere in the safes there are a couple of Mossberg bolt guns, at least one H&R Gamester and a Stevens .410 bolt action. Useful as loaner guns, or to introduce a new shooter to shotguns.

One special note- there has been a long standing safety recall on the Sears JC Higgins 12 g bolt action. While there is disagreement over the exact nature of the safety issue, it is possible for the bolt to come back and strike the shooter in the face. There is no "fix" for this, and Sears is still paying $50 for the return of the bolts on their guns. Google "Sears shotgun recall".

4. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Well just in general I was saying if there where draw backs and then pluses and negatives. What better a tube fed or magazine fed

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You have the specialty slug shooting bolt actions, which are generally quite good for that intended purpose. As such they are really more like rifles however.
    Run of the mill bolt action shotguns generally had one endearing characteristic; they were cheap. They did not point well for wingshooting and the term repeater was almost a misnomer. Some people will say how great theirs was, yada, yada, but I had one as my first shotgun 56 years ago and I have never had even the tiniest desire to ever own another. I would not recommend one to a friend.

6. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

C3. Browning still makes the A Bolt in 12 and 20, for Sabot Slug hunting, and there's always Tar Hunt for the more money than brains club.

I have used a Mossberg 185-d since I was 12, for both small and big game, that was my grandfather's deer gun for about a decade. That ended when he bought his 870.

As a slug gun, I personally prefer to use that 185-d, but I use my own 870 as a brush gun if hunting in a shotgun only area. If rifle is an option, the shotguns stay home, and that's just the fact of the matter. Where I lived in NY was shotgun only until 2010, and now that I'm in PA, my collection of shotguns is just for fun or small game hunting.

Now, I myself like the bolt shotguns, but I also say that they would not be my first choice in certain uses. They are not the fastest option when you may need a followup shot, but you can get pretty fast with practice. HD, a pump or auto is a better choice. Truck gun? their low cost is a plus there. They are easy to clean, and robust, so they are able to hold up to abuse that would make some pumps and autos cry Uncle, but so are most single shots. If you remember their limitations, they can be a decent shotgun.

I do have a few of the BA shotguns floating around here as well. I have a Mossberg 185d, 185ka, and a 195da. 2 marlin 55s, one a Swamp Gun, the other a Goose gun, a Kessler Model 30C, and a JC Higgins 583.25 20 ga. that belonged to the same grandfather who owned the 185d. I collect them because you don't see them as much anymore, which is also why i picked up two other shotguns as a pair a few years back. I found a pair of Mossberg 200s, one a d, the other a k, and picked them up in a private sale. What makes them part of this post is that the 200 12 ga model was an early pump action that was based in the BA design. As I said, I like odd guns.

The BA shotgun was not the end all, be all, but it was a step in the evolution to what we have now. Folks that didn't have a ton of disposable income used them to put food on the table for decades, and they were a starting point for many new shooters to get into shooting and hunting. they came into common use around the same time the hunting rifle went from being a single shot or lever to a bolt. For me, they are a way of touching the past, as are a good double or a muzzle loader. And that whole thing about a follow up shot? If you do it right, you usually don't need one. A bolt gun has taught more young shooter that lesson than any pump or auto can.

7. Dallas53

great posts Mr. Kfox and Mr. C3shooter.

I still have few of them stashed back, but haven't shot any of them in years. I simply hang onto them for sentimental reasons.

the bolt action shotgun was the first inexpensive repeater shotgun made. at the time of their popularity, pump action and semi-auto shotguns were expensive in comparison.

they were the best option for many on a workingman's budget at the time, and for many years, they served a purpose of an option over a single-shot shotgun. but as technology moved forward, pump and semi-auto shotguns became more affordable and the bolt action shotgun lost it's place and favor.

I think Savage is the only one that currently manufactures one from the major gun manufacturers, but it's priced at about $600, and that's because as Mr. C3shooter mentioned, some states don't allow rifles for deer hunting, so there a limited market for them now.

there are much better options in shotguns in my opinion. not something I would seek out to find, but if I ran across one in decent condition at a price I couldn't pass up, i'd probably snag it, just for nostalgia's sake, but for not for any other purpose.

8. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Well I live in a no rifle for deer hunting state could see how it's useful and I learned how to shoot on a bolt shotgun.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Bolt shotguns are not all equal. Some have just a bead front, others are smoothbore with rifle sights, others are rifled barrels. I owned a Mossberg 12a slug gun with rifle sights and a smooth bore. I took my 1st whitetail, 1st mule deer, and 1st elk with it. Very capable of 100 yards. But like any other firearm, it takes rounds down range to become proficient.

10. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

C3 is that recall on all of the J C Higgins 12 gauge bolts, just curious, I have a 16 gauge and have been halfway looking for a 12 and 20 to put in the cabinet on either side of it. Mine has the "multi-choke", and was bought new by grandpa in about 1954 or 55 when they moved out to the farm so dad and my uncle could hunt with the neighbor kids. They had to take turns with the shotgun though.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

12. kfox75

I remember that one very well. My uncle is no longer hunting with that JC Higgins, and I took it down to clean it up a little for him over the summer, then brought it back with the firing pin ground down so it won't come anywhere near the primer if someone does load it. It's not going to be a lamp, but it's a decent looking wall hanger now.

13. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

I have used a Mossberg 185-d since I was 12
    Same here, probably purchased in your local R & S Auto store. Mine is very accurate with Winchester lead slugs, but not sabot`s

14. Dallas53

shotgun sabot loads are as general rule not very accurate out of smoothbore barrel. they need a rifled barrel or at the very least a rifled choke to make them accurate.

15. kfox75

I think grandpa picked it up at the Western Auto in Westfield NY around 1948. Could have also been the one in Dunkirk, where he worked at the power plant, but I'm pretty sure my uncle told me it was the one in Westfield, which is where they lived.