Are all chinese sks's made by norinco?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by hq357, Oct 16, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Im looking for the perfect sks to buy. i do like the yugo sks but ive heard that there can be problems with gas leaks and the grenade launcher would make it classified as an assult weapon if a ban ever came. They also dont have chrome lined barrels, so i started looking into the chinese sks and every gun store seller says its a chinese sks others call it a norinco some were made for commercial sale and some were made for the military. Id like to purchase the one that is better made so im thinking a military sks how can i tell if an sks was made for commercial sale or military use?

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The military ones are surplus, not new. They are usually pretty beat up. If by perfect you mean modern production, those have not been imported since 1993.

As an aside, many of the Soviet SKSs look like they've seen limited service if any. They may be still unissued under all that cosmoline.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Most if not all Type 56's are NOT milsurp. They were made for the U.S. commercial market.

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You mean most fouind on the racks at LGS, today?

5. towboater

towboater Active Member

To me the closest to perfect SKS, is a Russian SKS.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

No. I mean the majority of Chinese norinco SKS rifles were made for the U.S. commercial market.

7. hq357

hq357 New Member

Yea but the russian sks is like 400$ and up and are pretty hard to find thats more of like a collectors rifle and to pretty to make it tactical. by perfect i mean good condition lightly used pretty accurate and reliable and will last a lifetime and one i dont mind making tactical if i wanted And under 400$

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Norinco (China North Industries) was created in 1980, and made a LOT of things. Their SKS was banned from import in 1993. The SKS made by them tended to have light blonde stocks, and a rivet rather than a bolt on the bayonet.

Prior to Norinco, the bulk of the Type 56 rifles sold in the US were made at a military arsenal FOR SALE to the US. With the exception of honor guard type duties, the SKS had been replaced by the Type 56 Assault Rifle (Chinese version of the AK47) for many years.

9. CJx

CJx New Member

From what I have read, type 56 SKSs are not made by Norinco.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Made and exported are two different things, Norinco does both. They keep sending us milsurp, but sure I suppose one can find a pre-ban import in resale.

11. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I got mine in 1994 or 1995 by trading a days work for the Gun shop owner for it.
    It was loaded with cosmoline. It's in really great condition, it appeard new when I got it.
    It still looks the same, and I have only put about 600 to 700 rounds through it!
    Ken

12. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Why would you want to take a perfect SKS and make it tactical. IMO the SKS is the worst to make tactical, its just not made for that, it is best used just the way it is. I tried to make mine tactical and wound up wasting my money on a Tapco stock and wound up putting back on my original hardware. By the time you spend the money to make it tactical you could buy an AR or AK for the same price if not cheaper.

13. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I am not sure what you guys mean by tactical. It's a battle rifle, they don't get any more tactical than that.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Today, "tactical" is often used to mean things like "has a detachable magazine, preferably over ten round capacity" and "has collapsible stock" and "has rails for mouting additional accessories". Basically, the M-4 vs. the M-16.

15. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I threw a Tapco adjustable stock on my Norinco Paratrooper, replaced the internal mag with a detachable duckbill Tapco mag, replaced the stock free-floating firing pin with a spring-loaded one from Murray, and thats it. Left the iron sights alone, no muzzle break, and nothing on the top rail.....just some rail guards on the bottom for more comfy handling and added a 2 point sling.

If finances allow I would like a bone stock Norinco or Russian and bring the wood furniture back to life with some TLC....this way I can have an original and a modernized tacti-cool one ;)

16. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Here's the marking on one of my SKS's, see if you can tell me where made and what year.
    That's a triangle with a 26 inside.
    Click on "full image".

[​IMG]

Here's an excellent article on identifying Chinese SKS's.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=26665

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Aw shucks is it today already? If you believe black plastic trim to be a tactical upgrade, then maybe the AR is an assault rifle after all.

18. kaido

kaido New Member

If it's a Russian one, the easiest way to tell would be to look ontop of the original dust cover, if you've still got it. It should say something like "XXXXr"

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Didn't say I agreed with the current usage. I still don't like calling magazines "clips". Whack somebody over the head with it, and the AR could be called an "assault rifle", otherwise (as I was recently reminded) it doesn't have enough cartridge to be a "battle rifle". The 7.62x39mm is just an "intermediate" cartridge, not a full power rifle cartridge.

My SKS has a tapco stock and a montecarlo-style stock; I like the options.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

True, you didn't. I think all the semantics antics begin with the folks who want to sell us stuff. :D