Are all automatic rifles banned in the US?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by SubZero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SubZero

SubZero New Member

I was reading about the proposed "assault weapons" ban and there seems to be some confusion about full auto vs semi auto and what is actually an assault weapon - at least in some of the articles I've been reading vs information pages I've been reading.

It got me wondering - are all automatic rifles banned in the US currently?

Thanks

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no. some states aloow them. you have to go through lots of hoops to get the right licenses and permits. the real problem is how to afford them. most full auto guns cost as much as a car. some as much as a house.... and talk about ammo usage. hehehehe

3. SubZero

SubZero New Member

I see. I'm not really interested in one, but am curious. I could see wanting to be able to switch between say 1 and 3 shot bursts, but full auto - not sure I'd wanna mess with that.

I suppose it's the same thing as a silencer. Some states may allow them but the hoops might be a serious impediment.

Does the type of full-auto weapons allowed vary from state to state?

Thanks

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It's an FBI background check and finger printing as well as a specific type of permit as well as the state you live in allowing for them first. Then you have to pay a fee for the tax stamp to own it like $200 bucks. Then you can buy an automatic weapon. And get ready trying to find one because its not like they make them available like semi autos. They have a registry for them and they are quite expensive.

5. SubZero

SubZero New Member

I had to get some of that for my Concealed Weapons Permit here in Washington State, so I assume I'd be ok.

Thanks for the reply.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

[ame]http://youtu.be/uCppmoZiXUY[/ame]

places like arizona ;)

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You gotta love Arizona!!!

8. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

Thirty nine states currently allow private ownership of Fully Automatic Firearms.

There are approximately 200,000 listed fully automatic weapons available for ownership today.

Thirty two states currently allow ownership of sound suppression systems.

eldar

9. SubZero

SubZero New Member

That's pretty great news! There's no ban on full-auto rifles? Or would those be included in the proposed Obama regulations?

Thanks

10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

If Obama had his way NONE of us would be allowed any weapon of any type, irregardless of what he says to the public.

We would all be his subjects. Bet on it!

eldar

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, machine guns (any gun that fires more than I cartridge with one pull of the trigger) are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act. They are legal to own in 39 states. In those states, if you meet the requirements to own a .22 pistol, you meet the requirements to own an M16 or an M60 belt fed.

What will a law say that has not been drafted, not been thru the 3 readings required under law, not been considered in committee, not been amended and not voted on- DO?

I have a better chance of giving you the Pick 3 lottery numbers for tomorrow.

Couple of tidbits for you, tho- Tri-burst is in the same legal category as a belt fed MG- they are both machine guns as defined in Federal law. and the price of a LEGAL, TRANSFERABLE full auto will make you weep- since ONLY those guns ALREADY registered by May 1986 can be transferred.

A legal, full auto M16 that can be transferred to a private citizen is about $20,000. Yes, I DID mean to type that many zeros. Got yer checkbook handy?

12. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

my ? is what do they consider a ASSULT weapen? fully auto or semi auto matics like .223s?

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When politicians are taking about an ASSAULT WEAPON- they mean a semi-auto rifle that is black.

I did not say they were correct. I did not say they were honest. I did not say they were smart.

If you are asking a gun history buff, it is a rifle firing an intermediate power cartridge, capable of semi or full auto fire, intended to be fired from the shoulder. Started with the the German Sturmgewehr in WW 2. Included the AK47 and the M16.

If you ask Nancy Grace, it is one of those long black guns you stick clips into to hold bullets.

I did not say she was smart, either. :p

I have seen all sorts of really stupid attempts to define something on the basis of how it looks- not how it works. Pistol grips and bayonet lugs seem to be especially evil.

Serious gun owners refer to them as Sport Utility Rifles

14. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Pink = Not an assault rifle

ForumRunner_20130117_195330.jpg

Black = assault rife

Black-Ops-Weapons-AR15.jpeg

Hehe

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I don't think so. You may have gone through a background check and had finger prints taken, but for CCW it's not federal , it's usually at the state level. I may be wrong...

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The definition of an assault rifle is "any rifle capable of select fire between semi automatic and full auto or burst fire."
    The popular definition used today by the media, politician and other assorted idiots is; "that scary looking rifle I see in all those movies."

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Question was are they illegal, answer is, better check your daily newspaper cause even if they are today, they likely wont be tomorrow! I live in New York, I ought to Know! Doesnt effect me that much, Ive had plenty of auto fire fun from small to large caliber but that went along with Being Anti Armor Infantry, all I remember is the mess they are to clean up after smoking them.

It just seems crazy that our government would deny every American that does not serve in the military or even those of us that have been their hired guns the chance or right to own and fire these unless we are rich and certifiable. Thats a travesty in itself and would have every one of the signers of our Constitution spitting blood if they saw what these people have done to our BOR's!

I just decided I wont watch any more of the gun shop, dealer shows that sell these $20-$100K MG's to rich folk anymore. I just cant stomach the hypocrisy...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  18. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can thank ronnie reagan for banning full auto new production. before 1986 it was only an extra 200$ for a full auto firearm. ronnie took a huge violent dhiarrea dump straight from his blackened soul on the constitution.

far as im concerned reagan was a worse president than obama simply because of his unconstitutional banning of firearms

if you havent figured it out i despise reagan

19. tCan

tCan Active Member

Many full auto weapons can be produced quite cheaply. These lower quality pieces have simpler trigger mechanisms. That's right. It requires a trick of engineering to make a gun semi instead of full auto. On the whole though, there is little difference in the production cost of full auto or semi auto guns. The issue in the States is supply.

The owning of full auto guns is completely legal if you pay a tax. But the manufacture is not. So the market supply of full auto guns is the same or smaller than it was in 1986. The demand is huge, the supply is small. Do the math. :cool:

20. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

The background check is similar. If you are a felon from Montana living in Arkansas applying for a permit that's how they know.