Are ALL 1911 part interchangable

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by FATface, May 4, 2013.

1. FATface

FATface New Member

I'm new the the whole 1911 world. Love to owe 1 one day. But had the idea of building one or if its even possible.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes it's quite possible to build one from scratch. if you have the skills and special tools required to do so.

building a 1911, isn't like assembling an AR. most all parts will need to be fitted and massaged into place to make the pistol function properly and safely. building a 1911 is not a DIYer project for a beginner.

cost wise, not really. by the time you buy the slide and frame, all the parts, the manuals and the tools and supplies, you could have bought two really nice pistols that only need ammo to shoot.

not something i would recommend, unless you like dumping money into a project to learn how.

3. FATface

FATface New Member

Thanks for the heads up I'll just man up and buy one. I shot the springer and the kimber (but it was a compact). Which u prefer ?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like the Springfields better. much better warranty period compared to Kimber. Kimber does make some good looking pistols, but cost comparison and warranty period, i think there are better choices.

some people have really good luck with them, some not so much. IMO, given the cost of a Kimber and the warranty, ( one year ) i probably wouldn't ever buy one new for sure.

i have owned many Springfield 1911's over the years and currently have one now. i really like the Springfields personally. i have had nothing but good luck with each one i have owned. they have a huge selection of 1911's at various prices to suit just about anyones budget.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Go with a sig, I had 2 1911. A Sig and a colt, both very nice but I love my sig

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Nice

ForumRunner_20130504_202037.jpg

ForumRunner_20130504_202103.jpg

ForumRunner_20130504_202125.jpg

7. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I had a Kimber TLE/RL full size in stainless. I was a great looking unit, lots of fine comments on appearance. It did suffer a few operational issues and they were very polite about any needed factory service, even offering a warranty repair 8 years after purchase on a known part that was operationally deficient. However , the rate of failure was on average 4% which to me was about 3.8% to high. I think their prices are excessive given their current production techniques versus their original custom precision. I've been eyeing either a Sig Scorpion or Remington R1. They are both amazingly well designed and I've read few operation issues on either.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

FATface,

Building a 1911 is best left up to a skilled armorer or company. There is a lot of polishing and special fitting of parts required. More than most people would want to tackle or have the tools to complete. It is in no way at all like putting an AR together as has been mentioned. All parts are NOT interchangeable as your Thread title reflects. Best to buy a good one that has been produced by the manufacturers or a skilled Gunsmith!

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It is true that a 1911 can pretty easily be completely taken apart, setting it apart from almost all other gun designs. That makes the platform similar to the AR-15.

But where in the AR-15 platform I could exchange parts with friends all day long and not affect functionality of any of our AR's, the same would NOT be true of the 1911 platform. I wish that were the case.

I would still leave building a 1911 to the pros. Or least the home gunsmith who is better than a bubba.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea 1911s are funny. I had a,colt and own a Sig. I swapped magwells, beavertails, but the safeties were different sizes. I cold change out slide stops and the bushings where fitted different.

11. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I built a few from parts. Frankenstein 1911s to be sure. They aren't that bad. But most firearms aren't. They are a machine not magic vodoo that requires some kind of priest. Common sense take ur time read. Ask questions gunsmithing is a process and an art. Not something to be afraid of just respected.

12. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And always remember the number one basic gunsmith rule; if it doesn't slide into place don't force it.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Do you have any experience with machine work? It's helpful.
    Have you looked into what is required? There are a few specialized jigs and tools that will be needed.
    Do you have access to a good 1911 gunsmith? What is his hourly rate? You will probably need him for something at some point in the build.
    A friend of mine has built two from parts. He has extensive experience with fine machine work. He did it because he wanted to, and to see if he could. He would be the first one to tell you he didn't really save any money. I asked about the process, he sent me his copy of the book you will eventually need: http://www.amazon.com/Colt-45-autom...TF8&qid=1367793461&sr=1-1&keywords=kuhnhausen
    After reading through it, I decided I probably ought to not mess with it. You may have the skills (I don't), buy the book and see what you think.

Last edited: May 6, 2013