Archery Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Vikingdad, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My son and I went to a (not so) local archery shop today after pulling my two Martin bows out of the cobwebs. We are going to start shooting archery now too. Anybody else here play with bows and arrows?

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I use my old Peasrson alot I shoot target with it and I hunt and fish with it, I've even shot a couple of small ternaments with it (didn't win but didn't lose really). I haven't shot it in a while been to busy with everything else. The only thing I'm not to crazy about is the archery store I go to stopped selling aluminium arrows and only sells carbon and wood arrows. $8 an arrow makes my wallet cry lol.

3. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Just got a new PSE Supra last March. It's more of a target bow (long and heavy as possible to keep it steady) but I'll try to take it hunting. I got third in my division for the nyfab state championship and 1st in the nyfab classic. Archery is definitely fun until you run out of money.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes, but if you are careful you can use the carbon arrows indefinitely. I have to re-fletch some of mine (I also have some aluminum arrows in need of fletching.) but unless you lose them or bend them they do last a long, long time.

I guess when you get to a competition level it gets more and more expensive (I wouldn't know myself) but at my level once I get set up its pretty affordable unless I lose lots of arrows. That having been said I do want to replace my bow with a TNT Defiance if I can ever afford it.

http://www.tntarchery.com/catalog/c50_p1.html

5. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Partial to the english long bow, no gadgets, more about skill

6. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

In the mid 70’s, I remember Burt Reynolds starring in the movie, “Deliverance”. He used a bow and arrow to shoot fish. I found this fascinating and went straight to buy me a bow fishing reel and arrows. Due to the refraction, the fish appear to be closer to the surface than it really is, so hitting it becomes difficult. After much practice I learned to hit them getting many carp and gar weighing from 3 to 25 pounds out of Kerr Lake and Gaston Lake, mostly where Smith Creek joins it in Virginia and several large bass from 3 to 10 pounds out of local farm ponds. This became a favorite pastime for me and I successfully enjoyed it for many years. I had mounted by Mack Harding of Stem, NC ($75) one of the gar fish, below (20lb- 48 inches long) and took several videos and still photos doing it, but all of the bass were cooked and eaten.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/snakeandbowfish.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/GARFISH.jpg

i hunted and fished with mine for 20 years..............loved it

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Can't argue with that. I have always wanted to make one myself. I am still looking for the perfect blank of wood for it though.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Back in Georgia a friend got me into primitive archery. He and I made a few long bows.

9. farmallcrew

farmallcrew New Member

Got back into archery a few years ago. I get out when i can. Last year bought a used Barnett Quad 400 crossbow. My compound is a Mission by Mathews.

Nice thing about archery, the big fuzz in the black suburbans don't know anything about it, so they won't touch it.

In PA i like archery, because i can go deer hunting, while still wearing t-shirt camo and shorts. rather than freezing my cookies off.

10. _winer_

_winer_ New Member

Same. Well, except for the Georgia part ;)
    Done a few bows myself. The Traditinal Bowyer's Bible was a fascinating read.

I like primitive archery because you must learn not to aim but rather teach your body to reach out to the target.

Kind regards

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

back in the mid 1990's a co-worker owned an archery shop he ran at nights and on the weekends. well we go to be friends and he introduced me to archery. well i decided to buy a bow and learn how to shoot. he got me a PSE package deal and away i went! at lunch at work he and several of at work would practice shooting. there was about seven of us that would practice at lunchtime! it was good for me, because all of the other guys were much better shooters than i was and i was able to get a lot of help from them. in the evenings when i got home i would practice for about an hour or so. after about six months or so, i got to where i could keep every shot into about an 8" pattern at 40 yards.

i got back into archery somewhat again a few years ago. but with so many other things going on, it's really hard to devote the time it needs for me to get back to the point i was years ago. but it's a hobby that i still enjoy when i get the chance to do it.

12. indy36

indy36 New Member

I shoot this PSE Mossy Oak X for fun. I use carbon arrows. It works great.

image-2943023470.jpg

13. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

It's a great skill to learn! I've learned how to make four sanded and rasped nice pieces of firewood so far. Then learned how important a nice strait grained plank is, good luck man!

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A pyramid bow is a fairly forgiving form of bow to try for your first home built longbow. They tend to be overbuilt and can overcome some minor flaws that could ruin a more conventional flat bow or English longbow.

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

16. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I still hunt and shoot my 50# Browning "Nomad" full working recurve bow. Lots of fun and keeps you in shape.

17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I do !! I have a #50 samick sage takedown recurve and its a awesome target or small game bow and I really dig the history of recurves.

18. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I myself enjoy traditional archery also. A hunting buddy of mine is an excellent bowyer and has helped me build a few bows, mainly self bows, I build a very nice English style osage longbow from a stave from Mr. Gary Davis of Michigan, he is a wealth of info and very enthusiastic about teaching the bowyers craft and a real gentleman. My favorite is a Howard Hill longbow , Craig Eakin is a top notch fellow and will help you through the whole process of deciding which bow is best for your needs and his service and turn around times are unbelievably quick and efficient. I have had a couple of old Grayling Michigan Bear recurves, but my long arms and draw length are not good with Bears, I broke a beautiful one made in about 1972 which I should have just put up and let it grow in value,, my bad, if I own it, I shoot it. Stick and string for me, although compounds are great hunting machines, the lines and beauty of traditional equipment gets me every time.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I used to shoot alot of competition as a sponsored shooter , but now that my kids are into sports I dont have time . I think I have owned just about every brand out there . They all make really good bows now a days and most all of them stay together now :) Here are a few that I have owned over the past few years

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I enjoy flinging arrows in the backyard.....

Gotta a couple of box targets and one 3d deer.....after a little warm up I can put 6 in a 3" group at 35yds.
    Have sat in the woods a lot with the bow but never had a shot :(