Arched, or Flat?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by M14sRock, Oct 4, 2010.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Jo Da Plumbr and I went to the range on Saturday and we had some 1911's along. One with an arched mainspring housing, and a couple with flat MSH.

My favorite 1911 is a Pre-War Commercial Government Model, and it still has the arched mainspring housing, as does my post war lightweight Commander.

I have gone back and forth for the last 25+ years between arched and flat mainspring housings, but have finally decided that the arched MSH feels better, and points better for me.

So today I was working on some things in the garage and brought out my Gold Cup and Series 70 Gov't model and changed them from flat, to arched.

I realize that flat is the preferred MSH for most people, but I just don't like them as much.

So, which do you prefer?

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

always had the flat ones...never tried shooting one with arch
    hands are medium sized so dont know if i would notice the difference
    :confused:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My SA Mil Spec and my Sistema both came with arched MSH's. I changed them both out to flat to fit me better. So for me, it's flat.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. planenut

planenut New Member

I've only tried flat but it does feel natural to me. I think I'd be pointing at the sky with an arched MSH.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Either will do but I like the arched better. If just seems like the pistol fits my grip better and points on target better.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My hold is more condusive to the arched. A flat does not "feel" right to me, although I have some with the flat.

7. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Not to change the subject but...

So I guess Hi Point is out too?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I shoot better with the arched although I do have one with a flat MSH. As most of my 1911s are Springers (with the non-standard MSH), the first thing I do is swap out the factory unit with an arched...

9. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I'm a arched guy also, I changed the flat on my Ghost Commander to an arched because it just feels better to me.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Does not matter to me, I can adjust my grip for either and shoot the same with either...good or bad. :eek:

11. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I prefer the arched.
    When I got my Springer loaded I swapped out the MSH for an arched lanyard loop MSH from a GI.
    The flat ones don't feel bad to me, but the arched feels more natural to me.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I haven't tried the arched,yet!

13. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Cuz you a fanboy now

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Of course you can Jack, but the rest of us are mere untalented mortals...:D

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do you know the story why JM Browning went to the arched MSH with the new, in 1924, M1911A1?

The Army used the M1911 primarily in their mounted calvary units and were experiencing consistent low hits. When the Army went to Browning for the "fix" request of the M1911 on that list was change the sights to improve point of aim.

Well Browning knew there was nothing wrong with the sights and ingeniously arched the MSH (back strap) forcing the shooter's hand higher and raising the muzzle. Of course the Army was pleased with the improved sights. (Can you say ergonomics?)

Here's another bit of trivia. Do you know why Browning changed the "long" trigger to the "short" trigger on the M1911A1? Because mounted calvary wear gloves. Gloves were also the reason for the finger clearance cutouts in the frame behind the trigger. The sharp edge was wearing the glove's trigger finger and blistering the shooter's booger hook.

Now here's the real question. Why do most 1911s built today have a flat MSH?

Besides the obvious "cheaper-to-build" reason, (less material and plastic sticking out on the back strap would revel its cheapness with nicks and scratches found in plastic's exposure.) we don't shoot from horses today. And if you do, get an arched MSH!

I prefer the arched MSH because I started shooting a M1911A1.

Attached Files:

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My 1911s have flat mainspring housings; my HP does not. I actually prefer the feel of the 1911s a little more than the HP.

17. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I prefer the flat MSH. I can shoot just as poorly with either.

18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I like the arched because I have kind of big hands and every little bit helps.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

my colt new agent is flat my springfield 1911-A1, series 70, and ithaca all have arched. it doesnt make a real difference to me. i havent noticed any pro or con one over the other.

20. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Every single one of my 1911s either came stock with a arched mainspring or i added it. IMO flat ones are just down right uncomfortable. Plus with the arched i get a much better grip on the gun.