Arched or Flat MSH?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Axxe55, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just a thread to see what others into 1911's like. arched or flat MSH. which do you prefer and why.

myself? i am digging the flat MSH these days. i started out with the arched ones years ago, but over the past several years, i have owned nothing but the flat ones.

i might have to add an ached one into the collection of 1911's to give them fair judgement!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Flat.

I changed my grip to "thumbs forward" and with the curved MSH, I have trouble activating the GS.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Arched, just fits my hands better. As a point of reference, I find a G21 fits my hands pretty well.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've only ever had one 1911, mine has a flat one. I'm hoping to one day get an original Colt or Ithaca, then I guess I'll know for sure.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I prefer arched. But I have large hands. It fits better.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got both it doesnt make any real difference to me.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've got small to medium sized hands. The arched housings seem to point better for me. But, I am also one of those weird folks who finds that Glocks point pretty well for me too.

8. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

As for the handling of the grip of a 1911, a flat or arched MSH makes no difference to me. However, I do like the classic look of the flat MSH so my 1911s are equipped as such.

9. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I like the arched msh. I only have the sig 1911 but i did shoot a few flat and i had problems getting a positive grip on the gun.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I have short fingers so flat works better for me.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Arched.

I like the look of the straight mainspring housing so replaced the stock arched housing in my Series '70 many years ago but swapped it back due to how it fit my hand. People have been arguing about this since the A1 came out but fortunately it's an easy fix!

12. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I have both and like both. If you got bigger than average hands like me, the arched MSH gives a fuller feeling in the hand. However out of my 4 1911s, only one is arched so that shows you it doesn't make a big difference.

13. Axxe55

dang it! i don't have any at this time with an arched MSH!:eek:

i really need to change that.:D

14. therukh

therukh New Member

Arched MSH

I would vote for arched too. As we know, every person's hand is different so there can be no definitive answer to which is better. It's all in the feel. For me it's not just arched but arched, beveled, checkered and matted. Wayne Novak, of Novak sight fame, told me that when he worked for Armand Swenson, back in the day, he made three arched, beveled, checkered and matted MSH's. He said they were so time consuming and difficult that three was enough. When I was helping out at the shop, back in the 80's, we put one on my Series 70 Govt. model and I loved the feel of it, so I bought it, then put one on my Lightweight/lightweight Commander and then bought the third one for a future gun project. Well, like a fool, I let the Commander go for a comp gun, and the MSH went with it. I still own the other two but wish I still had the third one. I tried the straight one's, but they just don't work well for my hands.

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I use flat only on all my 1911's. Feels and looks way better to me.

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My new Springer has an arched MSH, it feels nice but I like the look of a flat MSH

17. Axxe55

personally, i like both styles.

18. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I prefer and have the flat on my 1911 R1 Enhanced.

19. Axxe55

i like the feel of the arched and started with them when i got my first 1911, but i really like the looks of the flat ones better. i can't honestly say i shoot one better than the other.

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The arched MSH has grown on me