ar22 to ar15

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by WarrenPTstud, Dec 7, 2013.

1. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

You can convert an ar15 to a ar22 but why not ar22 into an ar15? If you can do this can anyone give me more information and if it is not possible, why not?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Lower receivers and internals are different.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Have you seen the YouTube video of the guy who converts an airsoft M4 into a "real" M4? :rolleyes: Idiot.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A standard .22 LR semi is blowback operated. .223/5.56 is gas operated. The .22 LR does not have a gas system. Different bolt/carrier, no buffer. matter of fact, the dimensions of a gun like the S&W MP 15-22 are different- so a regular AR upper does not fit on a .22 LR lower. AND the bore dimensions are different.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not really an idiot. my interpretation of his video was that he was making a sarcastic video in response to people who thought an airsoft rifle could be converted to a real firearm. IMO, more poking fun at the real idiots, the liberal anti-gunners who spout off nonsense.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, but is that a good idea? The "real" idiots could point to that video and say "SEE?" And use it to convince other idiots to make a law…...

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

those idiots can't see the real truth if it jumped up and bit them on the face.

they have the incapacity or lack the comprehension to understand or realize their own stupidity.

it is a losing battle to try and convince them of such things and they have always been deadset on using anything we say or do against us.

sometimes it's just fun to make fun of their stupidity and go on.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

If you bought a converted AR I don't see why it couldn't be turned back into 5.55/.223 as long as the lower says multi cal. Isn't it just the upper that is different?

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Actually, yeah, the OP didn't specify what the original gun was, or exactly what gun he was talking about. If it started life as a real AR, (5.56, etc.) it should be able to be switched back. But as someone else said, if it started as a dedicated 22, nope.

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

CMMG makes a dedicated .22LR that has a "mil-spec" lower, 7075 T6 aluminum. 5.56 uppers go right on with no problems. I'm pretty sure it's the only one on the market that can accept full house uppers. Last price I saw was $699, good luck finding one.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It may be possible with some rifles, but rifles such as the S&W MP15-22 do not switch from .22LR to 5.56. There is a dimensional difference between the 22 lower and the 5.56 upper. And no, only difference is NOT the upper. That S&W does not have a buffer. Does not need one. The bolt has an action spring- remember, it's a blowback operated .22.

Yes, you CAN convert down- have shot enuff .22 LR out of an issue M16 with the conversion unit- but most do not swing the other way.

12. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I have a DPMS dedicated .22 LR rifle, the upper uses a 1x16 m4 contour barrel and rimfire only receiver. The lower is mil spec and will accept a standard 5.56 upper. This is a fun gun to shoot but my 15-22 seems to be fired a great deal more.