AR15s properly configured as Defensive Rifles

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bluez, Jul 11, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sir,

Don't sell yourself short... to me your rifle looks set up like a serious mans fighting rifle.

Also there is nothing wrong with a Sig Romeo5 , its a perfectly servicable red dot.
    Many folks in the shooting community are treating Tactical rifle shooting like sports car hobby trying to one-up one another with fancier parts, which is not always useful.

Any man with a serviceable rifle (no matter which brand) , a serviceable optic, reasonable competency at weapons handling/shooting and reasonable mobility (dont need to be a tri athlete) and the will to use them.. can be a very effective defender of life and liberty.

My advice to you is to consider adding a Vertical front grip.

Among other things it greatly reduces fatigue when walking distances with your rifle at the patrol ready.
    While you may feel that may not be necessary no one can tell what the future will bring with everything that is going on in the world.
    Ready or not, any one of us may have to stand up and be counted at a moments notice.

Here is a name brand example, its even reasonably priced (albeit out of stock)
    https://www.primaryarms.com/bcm-gunfighter-mod-3-vertical-grip-m-lok-black
    If you do go shopping for a VFG make sure it specifically says "M-lok". most VFGs are still picatinny compatible (since that use to be the dominant standard and this way you dont have to worry about Mlok to picatinny adapters)
    This one is more expensive (at times sales for much less can be found)but it is arguably the best money can buy
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/daniel-defense-m-lok-vertical-foregrip.html

PS: Sir, please do not buy from Amazon, but from actual firearms related business.. they are invariably run by patriots and we need to keep them healthy.... also Jeff Bezos, the owner of amazon, donates a lot of money to those who would destroy our republic.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    towboater and armoredman like this.
  2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

This Stag Arms is my favorite AR-15: It's my defensive rifle and it's always loaded at home.

Scope is the Leupold FX-2 4X33. i've taken coyotes at over 300 yards with the rifle.

[​IMG]

3. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

I might look at a VFG. I do have a good MagPul MS3 sling setup at single point, not pictured. I don't buy from Amazon; I buy from gun parts suppliers online if I need to like MidwayUSA and Brownells. I should add that once we replaced a defective disconnector and went to the PSA lower, I have had exactly zero failures that aren't directly ammunition related. It is much fun to shoot, and I love reloading for it as well.

bluez likes this.
  4. armoredman

There is a video I have detailing exactly how this rifle originally happened, but I am not sure admin here would want me to share it because it directly refers to several other firearms website.

5. akpls

akpls Member

I personally take the opposite approach than some when it comes to a rifle ( pistol too) that I'm going to grab if the SHTF or I must go to ground. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle... keep it simple. No optics, no lights, nothing battery powered, nothing extraneous hanging on the gun, nothing to break down at the wrong time. All those things are useful and nice to have, but it's not how I was trained so I stick with what I know. I have lots of rifles, AR's included, that have nice optics, etc.... they're just not what I would consider my fighting guns.

6. armoredman

Sons_hammer_at_range_4_jpg-1503073.jpg
    Sons KISS rifle. Rear sight tower removed after red dot sighted in. SiG Romeo5 has a 5 year battery life and a spare battery fits in the pistol grip of the MOE lower. When I can get some more cha ching I'll get him a MagPul rear BUIS.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    primer1, towboater and bluez like this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

bluez and towboater like this.
  8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

9. armoredman

Too rich for my blood. The $170 I spent on my son's Romeo5 was quite a dent in my flat wallet.

bluez likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am still looking at 1x prism scopes because of astigmatism. The holographic sights might work but I am not gambling $500. A prism is about half that and I know they work.

bluez likes this.