ar15a1 build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by racingfanatic, Jan 29, 2012.

1. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

ok so I thik I have decided for my first ar I would like to go old school and do an a1 build.
    I was wondering if anyone has done a retro ar build that could steer me towards a good place to get a parts kit and any potential pitfalls to watch out for thanks

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I hope this is OK to do, but AR15.com has a Retro Forum that has the answers you seek. Here's a link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_AR_15___M_16_Retro_Forum.html

I qualified with the A1 in Army Basic and enjoyed shooting the thing. I never had a single problem with it as I recall. Could easily hit 300 meter targets without any holdover with a 25 meter zero using just iron the sights. Our ammo in those days was 55 grains or nothing. The 1:12 twist didn't seem to have a problem being accurate.

Good luck with your build.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

your biggest issue is going to be finding a 1:12 20" pencil barrel.

my A1 upper has a old surplus M16A1 barrel i bought waaaay back.

4. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5600&cat=1647 found this while looking around it is 1:9 twist i know the originals are 1:12 but no one would be able to see the difference am I correct in assuming that this can shoot 62gr and 55gr also is this a good deal I cant tell much from the pic but I can tell it has the teardrop assist

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just dont expect really good accuracy from dpms barrels. Their upper reciver is decent, ive got their a1 upper but i sourced the parts for it elsewhere. Dpms parts are metal injection molded and ive had forward assist break bolt hold open break and dust cover pin break.

If you go that route get the barrel and stripped upper and everything else from someone else.

1:9 will shoot 55 and 62 grain just fine but it may prefer one over the other accuracy wise.

6. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

sorry ive been very busy this week good to know about dpms do you know if green mountain barrels are good quality they make an a1 pencil profile for 169 which isnt a bad price