Ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by zack02, Jan 27, 2013.

1. zack02

zack02 New Member

What do you kno about the delton AR15 sport ? I'm looking into getting one of these in 16" barrel carbine and 1:9 twist .. Any words of wisdom about tho firearm

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The Sport is an entry level gun.
    I have owned Deltin and think they are a good value.

But it all depends on the price.
    The Sport is their entry level comparable to the S&W 15 Sport.

I think its perfectly suitable to plinking and self defense.

I would only advise against it if you are a security contractor going to the middle east need it as a professional tool.

Basically in todays market you buy the AR thats a) available and b) affordable

3. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

I've got a del-ton lower on my AR. No issues, but it is just the stripped lower though.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What do you want to use it for?

5. jharder0002

jharder0002 New Member

I like doublestar. Affordable, decent quality, and great freaking customer service.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I built 4 AR's using del-ton rifle kits. (anvil arms lowers) All have performed flawlessly in the years they have been running. One has more than 12,000 rounds through it. No significant issues.
    Can't speak to the built out "sport model" but the firegroups, barrels and bolts all work fine as any.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think any AR you find available is probably going to cost you a premium price, irregardless of what brand it is.

8. zack02

zack02 New Member

With a fair amount if real estate between me and the target..

9. zack02

zack02 New Member

Also is the sport a carbine ?

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If it has a 16" barrel it is a carbine. Though you can get carbines with carbine length or mid length gas systems.

If you are looking at a distance platform then you may want a longer barrel for added velocity.

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

yes the Sport has the Carbine gas system and the 16 inch barrell.

I am shopping more ofr high end guns now. the reason is that the entry level guns may be 80% more than beofre the crises but the high end guns may be only 20% more.

For example I am buying a NIB Ruger 556 piston gun w/ CHF barrell for 1800 that beofre the bubble might have been 1400-1600.

A Delton Sierra Magpul MOE with the 4150 CL barrel and the MPI/HPT bolt was a fantastic value at $800 in November but now will cost $1600 on gun broker.

So the entry level guns have seen the biggest price raises.
    For this reason when I look at guns during this price bubble I only look at those AR's I would not have considered before due to price.

12. zack02

zack02 New Member

I see ..I have deff put my choices to the S&W and the sport ..I'll be making some calls tomorrow to my local gun shop cuz he makes AR's so if I can get a decent price from him I may go that route ..thanks for the help fellas
    -Zack

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Find out what parts he uses. Don't accept low quality. There are very few people I'd trust to build me a good AR and many of them are right here at FTF.

14. zack02

zack02 New Member

Ok thanks , what are parts to stay away from?

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Have you read the AR Primer and build stickies?

16. zack02

zack02 New Member

No I haven't, how do I get there ?

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Look up. Top of the forum.