AR15 thoughts

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by J-Gun, Dec 6, 2013.

1. J-Gun

J-Gun New Member

Looking at purchasing my first AR and am interested in some thoughts on the two I've looked at thus far: Daniel Defense and Huldra (Adams Arms).
    Looking to use for coyote hunting, shooting for fun, whatever. Obviously opinions from those that have owned or own one of these two AR's are appreciated. With that said any other comparable that I should look at would be helpful.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

second, they have some excellent stickys at the top of the AR section that might help enlighten you and help you with buying your first AR. with the number of brands of AR's on the market, it can be confusing and daunting for the newb and the first time AR buyer.

first thing is to define it's intended usage. next step is to figure our a budget. these two right here can help with making a good choice when buying.

there will be some others who will come along shortly and be glad to help point you in the right direction.

again welcome to the forum.

3. J-Gun

J-Gun New Member

Thanks for the welcome! Intended use is as I mentioned. That could change however. My price range is $1500 or less. Looking for thoughts. Thanks again.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Daniel Defense makes excellent rifles. If you were to visit the M4 forum, you don't have squat unless its a Colt (which is well in your price range).

Palmetto AR's can be had for almost half of what your limit is, and they also have an excellent reputation.

5. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Extremely opinionated post below:

1. I suggest you not waste your money on a piston AR. In my 30 seconds of research it looks like Huldra/Adams Arms is still trying to market the Piston AR. Piston AR's move unnecessary weight towards the muzzle. If a Direct Impingement Commercial Spec Bushmaster carbine can run 10,000 rounds without malfunction, what's there to fix? Go DI or go AK..... (Or add another $1,500 and go SCAR)

2. Daniel Defense ..... Ain't nothing wrong with that!

3. If your primary concern is range fun/cool factor go with 1 x 7 top tier. Your budget will get you into a Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt. However, if your top priority is coyote/general purpose, go with a 1 x 9 twist Rock River Arms. They WILL out group "top tier" rifles with commonly available 55 grain ammo. ****Disclosure: I own a BCM.****

4. After you buy a black rifle based on your current needs, you will probably buy another for future needs.

Once you decide, be sure to post pictures!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or.....

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For a good rifle look at S&W. The M&P's are every bit as good as a Colt costing several hundred more. We have Colt's, S&W's, and Bushmasters in our inventory. The Smiths have been as problem free as the Colts.

WTS, I own Colt, Bushmaster and High Standard/PSA. Non have given me any trouble and shoot MOA or less

8. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

9. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Palmetto State Armory is best bang for buck. Can't go wrong with Daniel Defense. Just a bit pricey.

10. mymaro

mymaro New Member

I would also vote for PSA if you watch them like the stock market builds can be cheap $366 for a full build when they had their black Friday dealse. Watch over the next 20 days for Christmas deals and just place orders as the month goes on the customer service is top notch

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Tell us again what you want?? A basicquality rifle that capable of killing a coyote at 200 yards, a run of the mill good rifle or a bug hole accurate rifle. For the price of a DD and huldra you could also build just what you want but in there price range the most accurate would be a RRA heavy barrel rifle. They have several "names to pick from with 18 to 24" barrels all in this price range. If all you want is a rifle that's capable of killing a coyote at 200 yards and fun save the bucks and buy a basic rifle like a M&P sport or kit from psa.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  12. J-Gun

J-Gun New Member

Looked a little at PSA AR's online. From what I have read and looked at they look to be very good and will save me a few bucks.
    Not sure what current prices are but by the looks of things that maybe the direction I go.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of our members will recommend building an AR and i for one think it's a great idea as well. you can build more rifle for less. and with a $1500 budget, you could build one awesome rifle on an AR platform. there are a lot of knowledgeable members here on the AR platform that can assist you with selection of parts and with building tips if you get stuck.

just something to consider and think about. not everyone has the time or the resources to build and prefer a rifle already built, but building your own is another option for anyone who can.

14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

+1^^^^^^^.

I also think by doing the build you learn quite a bit. Inner workings and all. I know I learned a bunch from building one of mine, plus there was an added feeling of accomplishment.

15. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

The only thing you have to watch out for when building over a period of time is paying for shipping 5-10 different orders. That can eat away at the $$ you save. But if you are careful it is a great way to have more rifle for less.

It's not that hard to do after watching a few YouTube videos anyone with any mechanical ability can do it. Like stated above it definitely helps you get more familiar with how the platform works.

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Everyone knows what I will say. ;-) You should take a look at SWAT Firearms. www.swatfirearms.com