Featured Ar15 Stoner

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Travis Byrd, May 19, 2020.

1. Travis Byrd

Travis Byrd New Member

Hey yall just a quick question,I bought a stoner with the front sight attached,not really wanting to take it off yet.My question is how high of scope mounts will i need?any help is appreciated!!

towboater likes this.
  2. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

Either AR height rings or high rifle rings with a 1/2” riser

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever height is comfortable for you, medium or high rings, the front sight will not interfer with the view through the scope.

4. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a one-piece mount. It'll allow you to get the scope forward where it needs to be:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G2SM28N/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_6MvXEb1VHYSXC

I've used these (Monstrum slim profile 1" mount) for my last 4 builds. Inexpensive ($29), sufficient quality (reasonable quality of screws), and not a boat anchor.

On 1x magnification you might see a little haze /fuzziness at the very bottom of the sight picture from the front sight. 2x or higher and you won't see the front sight at all.

2020-05-20_12.36.06.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    Gatoragn likes this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I think we need to know if he has a picatinny on the receiver or not.
    We are all kinda assuming he does because its so common now.

But what if he has a handle? then he needs a different answer.

Shopfox likes this.
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shop
    Yes a lot of people with the AR-15s and similar rifles with the Upper Receiver Picitinny Flat Top Rails do not realize when mounting a full sized scope without the offset Scope Mount. They can have difficulty shooting from the Prone Position with a larger scope. This because standard Rings mounted on the Flat Top Rail require the Scope to be mounted way too far to the Rear. So in the prone position your pulling your head back to far to keep from eating the Scope! There is a Mount for the Fixed Carry Handle. But IMO it causes the optic to be mounted fairly high on the rifles carry handle. Tactically not a good thing if you have to use cover, or shoot over concealment since the line of sight and the line of bore is different.
    The difference between the line of Sight and the line of the Bore can be as much as 4-5 inches. And example I was aware of a guy who had that set up and was resting and shooting at a target over his truck hood. When he shot since the actual bore was around 4-5 inches lower than what he was seeing through his scope. He peeled the Hood on the Truck!:rolleyes: However, if one does have a fixed carry handle you havet to work with what you have! Back years ago all the AR type and M Type weapons had the Fixed Carry Handle. They do make a Cantileaver Mount that drops down for th Fixed Carry Handles that solves this issue. But they are not for mounting a full size standard scope. Great for other optic sights. And can with most Red Dots and similar optics Co-Witness with the Iron Sights on the Rifle.
    Cantilever Mount 1.jpg Cantilever Mount 2.jpg Carry Handle Mount AR-15.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Shopfox likes this.
  7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I can count on one hand the number of times I have fired a rifle from the prone position.