Ar15 stock preferences

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Jones25, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Jones25

Jones25 New Member

I'm new to the fire arms talk so haven't had a chance to look through all the threads.
    Anyways I've been looking for a new stock for my m16 for a few weeks now. Anyone have any suggestions and pics? Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. What are you looking to do with it? Are collapsible stocks legal in your state?

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

It all depends on what your doing with it . Battle rifle its hard to beat a stock type 6 pos collapsible or a MOE stock
    If your going to be bench shooting Magpul has your stuff like the PRS
    I guessing with as a M16 its going to be a battle rifle

4. PC167

PC167 New Member

I don't have a good picture to show you , however I bought DPMS collapsible stock for my AR.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Is it a full auto M16? If so, I recommend the slide fire stock. I've heard if you bump fire a full auto it makes it into an all encompassing death ray.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Man I herd a full auto with a slidefire will put 30 rounds in one raged hole at 50 yards!

Unless your rifle is a 20" and select/auto fire, it is an AR15.

STR
    CTR
    ACS
    ACS-L
    IMOD
    EMOD
    SOPMOD

Are probably the most popular. Its hard to say which is best. Its kind of a personal choice as everyone's face is different.

7. Jones25

Jones25 New Member

Yes any stock is legal in my states. And as far as what I'm looking for Its a tactical rifle with only a light at the moment. Prefer it to be an adjustable but there are pros for fixed stocks. I am currently on my second collapsible factory stock and wanting to move on from it. Also it is soon to have an ambidextrous safety and mag release so the stock must be left handed friendly.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my vote is for the magpul ACS-L.. but thats just me

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Might I suggest you find one with either a lip or notched hole at bottom dead center? The reason I say this is there are buttstock assemblies and lower receivers out there whose threads are not cnc'd, which means the thread can start anywhere. The end result may mean a collapsable buttstock tube may end up canted a few degrees off when you screw it over the buffer detente. If you have a timing lip or a notched tube, that won't be an issue. Bushmaster 6 pos stocks have the lip, and a few have the notch (POF is one).

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you want the ultimate custom fit stock for whatever your needs might be...well, that's something I probably can't help you with. Only you can truly solve that dilemma.

I've got the Magpul MOE on a couple of relatively "higher end" rifles and I'm extremely pleased with them. I like that it's a clean, simple, light, and affordable design. I find it comfortable, with a nice tight lock-up, and it weighs next to nothing. Those are my priorities, perhaps they're not yours. I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate of reasons to choose the more expensive choices. I haven't discovered those reasons yet for my own applications. If I wanted to spend more like $100+ for an epic cheek weld and extra compartments, I'd look into some of the higher end offerings from Magpul and Vltor. I'm sure they're great.

But I like MOE's design...light, affordable, simple, functional. I dislike anything that weighs more than it ought to or results unnecessary rattle, movement, and play. Give me clean, simple, and featherweight all day long. The MOE is just that. And it'll only set you back about $60.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Man, that slidefire stock sure is disliked in these parts.

I respect the opinions of many of those who dismiss it, but to be honest....I'm strongly considering buying one for a 'fun gun' build. That's one of the projects higher on my list anyway.

I can probably eat the $350 for the stock if I don't like it. What's really kept me from buying it is that I'm not sure I'll be able to afford its appetite if it turns out I do like it.

12. Jones25

Jones25 New Member

Magpul stocks are by far the common ones out there. My problem choosing from them is they only offer battery compartments. Batteries are good but not all rifles need 6 extra for a light or optics. Especially since not all optics take the favored c123s. If theres a stock that has an mag holder or even an extra rail on each side id might have to go for that.
    And as far as the slide fires go... In my opinion they are for fun and way over priced.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have several MOEs, a ACS-L and a few other ones. Out of them all MOEs are my favorite , Dont get stuck on the friction lock like on the CTR its basically a MOE with the friction lock and the one I had did not stay locked nor does the ACS-L, it really doesnt matter it doesnt move or rattle with it unlocked ,its really just a un-needed feature for more $$$$
    The ACS-L provides storage thats not just limited to certain size batteries etc, you could throw a cleaning kit in it , extra rounds, batteries, small flashlight, etc in it and the stock is a little bit longer than a MOE which helps me with my long arse monkey arms when Im bench shooting with a scoped gun

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking slide fire... All I'm saying is if you have the money to buy one, and the subsequent ammo it will eat up, you probably need to share the wealth. :D

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

You will go through many rounds. You will love it. Your girlfriend or wife will leave you because you spend all your money in ammo instead of her. Your car will be repossessed, the bank will foreclose on your home, and you still cannot quit firing it. You will be homeless pushing a grocery cart down town with your AR wrapped in a plastic bag. Ammo will become your crystal meth.

16. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

I have one. And ive shot 5-6 thousand rounds with it so far. I reload 223 for 17-20 cents/round. You guys really need to start reloading!

17. DavidN

DavidN New Member

True!

I agree but with Magpul about everything is great. I went with the CTR in FDE and love it also.

Attached Files:

18. Mikeyv98

Mikeyv98 New Member

Ive been threw a few stocks that are adjustable despite them being illegal in my state lol ive settled with the ACE ARFXE stock and I love it hands down and its leagal

ForumRunner_20120914_095752.jpg

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

6,000 x .20 = $1,200.

You really need to "spread the wealth around.":D

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hell yeah especially when I can buy cheap ammo and not have any time in it for $0.20 a shot . Just sayin :D . I mean your not going to hit that dot at 25 yards after the first one goes off anyway right