AR15 Scope

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by baseballfan29, Apr 4, 2014.

1. baseballfan29

baseballfan29 New Member

What is the best tactical scope for an AR15 for around $100?

2. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

This is a highly individual thing but to help you out let's get some basics: What range are you going to be using it at? What's your philosophy of use for your rifle? The scope? These questions will help us help you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'll add another question that may help us out.

Are you looking for magnification or just speed?

4. baseballfan29

baseballfan29 New Member

It's a standard 5.56. Speed over magnification. Looking for a rather basic red dot.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Truglo and BSA make some red dots in your budget. Let me know if you're interested in those brands and I can get you some prices.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ihave a Bushnell TRS 25 that I've been very happy with. It has run ontop of an AR and a .30-30 and performed well, hunting in Georgia swamps, and in Pacific Northwest rain.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

8. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Check out the vortex strike fire!! They run in between $140-$170 an they our worth every penny of that.

9. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Why not irons? Is this a "SHTF" gun? Home protection? Fun gun? It matters.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i see your in indiana. do you plan on being out int he cold with it?? if so your going to be mighty disapointed in cheap red dots. they crap out totally once the weather gets below freezing. they start degrading capability under 40.

most of them have severe washout issues on bright days and against green or dark backgrounds.

11. baseballfan29

baseballfan29 New Member

Fun gun. I don't shoot much in winter

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I think you are referring to laser sights. That's not a red dot. Unless maybe red dots have the same issue.

I have a 1-4x scope and I think this is fantastic for the range you are talking about. I think mine is a Burris, around $300 but I'm sure you could find one in your price range. At 1x its very easy to shoot with both eyes open like a reflex sight, and at 4x you are good for at least 200 yards. Otherwise I have a Burris reflex (red dot) sight that is very accurate to 100 yards. About $150

13. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Cheapo red dots also have washout issues. If you go cheap, get a set of reliable back up irons and zero them well.

14. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

The best scope that I came across on net is NcSTAR 4×32 Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope.

15. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

NOOOOO! Haha I had a really bad experience with one of those. mount is integrated and it wouldn't hold zero because the mount is such soft metal

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Check out this one
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-AA-Battery-Red-Dot-GEN-3-p/pa-aasdg3.htm
    I have it on my AR and it performs very well. Holds zero even while getting banged around. It takes a standard AA battery that lasts for hundreds or even a thousand hours. It is designed to mimic a Vortex.

Or for a smaller design look at this.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-with-Removable-Base-p/md-06l.htm
    You will need to purchase an extra mount for this though. My friend has one of these on his .40 cal carbine.

17. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Save your money and get one of these :D ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398307562.816586.jpg it's a bit out of your budget but there ain't nothin better. If you're into a red dot though, look at aim point

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one

18. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Barska 3-9x 40MM compact with BDC.

Jim

[​IMG]

19. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Ohh. Really? I read reviews about it and they were all positive. So, I thought it would be a good one.

20. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

I don't claim to be an expert. just telling you what happened to mine. never could get it to hold zero and the turret finally fell off one day from being adjusted so much and I "lost" it. spent 250 on a used aimpoint comp m2 off of ebay (yes it's genuine) and never looked back.