Ar15 saftey latch

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by livefree79, Dec 14, 2013.

1. livefree79

livefree79 New Member

Ar15 safety latch no engaging when gun is not cocked. I'm sure it did before I know I just put a new detent spring and buffer spring on so I did have it apart as far as that. Don't think I hit anything else.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You can't engage the safety on an AR-15 without the trigger already being fired. The trigger bar sits too high for the safety to engage so the trigger must be pulled before it can be engage. You'll notice you can't engage the safety after the final round has been shot.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you mean "trigger set to fire" or "already being fired"

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It must be cocked.

6. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If the bolt is locked to the rear the safety cannot engage.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

M16s on the boat always went in the Small Arms locker, bolt home trigger pulled, safety off. Can't engage the safety if the hammer is not cocked. Weapons were always verified clear by two people before sending the bolt home. The rifle is perfectly safe with the bolt on an empty chamber, hammer down and safety off.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If I am interpreting the OP's question correctly, the safety switch will not go to the safe position if the hammer is not cocked.

If this is correct, there is nothing wrong. The hammer must be cocked for the safety to me moved from fire to safe

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Everyone is absolutley correct! With the hammer in the fired or forward (Up) position you can not and should not be able to place the Safety Selector in the "Safe (On) Position" Cock the hammer to the rear or down position ready to fire and now it will go to the "Safe Position". That is perfectly normal and correct.

10. livefree79

livefree79 New Member

Ok great to hear wasn't sure if I damaged it