AR15 rail installation help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Cory9807, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Cory9807

Cory9807 New Member

Okay, I'm planning on buying a Troy Industries 15' Alpha Rail for my S&W M&P AR-15. I know how to install it but I do not have a vise or a vise block. Is it possible to put it on without one? Or would I end up damaging my firearm?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you get the action block (clamshell type). You can use large wood clamps on a sturdy table or work bench. Just do everything sideways instead of straight up and down.

3. Cory9807

Cory9807 New Member

That sounds like a good idea. Should it be relatively easy to take off the delta ring that way? That's really the only thing I think I may have trouble with.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yep. I've done this before when I wasn't at home with my tool bench and vice. Takes som deep mouthed wood clamps to reach back and get a good clamp on both ends if the clamshell.

5. Cory9807

Cory9807 New Member

Okay thanks for the help!

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cory,

Honestly all you need is a vise and some soft jaw pads (or wood) to clamp on the barrel at a 45 dgree angle in the vise with the barrel and part of the front sight assemblly in the jaws so the barrel will not spin. Do not clamp on the reveiver without a proper receiver block.
    Then take the flash hider off. Standard Flash Hider will take a 3/4" open end wrench. Some breaks take a 13/16" wrench. Then take out the Front Sight Taper Pins from the Front Sight on the Barre;. Since you have a S&W the Taper Pins will remove *Right to Left which is the opposite as the mil spec specification. Smith as well as Stag messed the normal procedure up. On most rifles and Mil Spec they are installed Right to Left and removed Left to Right but as previously stated yours should remove Right to Left. You can see it by noticing the Taper Pin Heads are larger on one side than then other. You can also use a wood block with a hole drilled in it to support the barrel while removing the taper pins. Once you remove the flash hider, front sight assembly and gas tube from the upper. You can take a Dremmel Tool with a small round metal cutting blade and cut the Delta Ring through on one side then rotate 180 degrees and cut it through on the other side. It will break apart for removal at that point. Then take a large screwdriver and spread the Weld Spring apart until you can get it off. The Snap Ring can then be forced off of the original Barrel Nut which will need to remain on the barrel. Then Troy Alpha is now ready for installation.
    Good luck and there are plenty here who can help should you have any questions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. Cory9807

Cory9807 New Member

Thank you for the tips! Now I just have to wait til after Christmas to put it on! I'm so excited.