AR15? M1911? And accessories for them?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Nashorn101, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Nashorn101

Nashorn101 New Member

Hey guys. I am in the market to buy my first AR15, along with my first M1911. But I have some uncertainty that I need cleared up. So let me set ya'll up:

I used to purchase WWII firearms and older "vintage" firearms (Mosins, Kar98k's, SKS's). But my preference is kind of changing now to the modern, but still historical, firearms. I also want to have more American guns and more guns that I can keep forever and ever and grow on.

So, hence why I would like an AR15, and an M1911 to go with it. I am thinking the AR15 because the system has been around since the late 1950's, and is still being used by every branch of our armed forces today (It is historical). I was tempted to go for an ACR, but they are too "Tacticool" in my opinion, and its a newer, "immature" weapon (Even though it uses a piston driven bolt). So I think i'll go with the AR15. The AR15 I had in mind was "Windham Weaponry's" basic AR15, 16" barrel, carbine (http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/TechSheets/MPC%201-10-12NP.pdf).

Also hence why I would like an M1911. Designed and used since 1911, and is STILL in use today by most of our armed forces (Historical). I am leaning toward "Kimber's" Warrior/Desert Warrior 1911 (http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/warrior / http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/warrior#/1911/custom-ii/desertwarrior). Because of the night sights, ambidextrous safety, and the forward rails. Still deciding though which of the 2 styles I want to get.

For accessories: on the AR15, I was going to put some Magpul accessories on it, and use "PMag Maglevels" for magazines. For the forearm I was looking for a simple 16" free-float RIS, but haven't found one yet. For weapon illumination I was either going to put a PEQ-15/16 on the rails, or I was going to put a Surefire weapon light onto the rails. For the M1911, I was only going to put a light on the rails, which is either a Surefire X300 (http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-X300-LED-WeaponLight-p/sur.315.htm), or a Surefire X400 (http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-X400-LED-WeaponLight-p/sur.317.htm). I am leaning toward the X300 though, because I am not really a fan of lasers, and would be afraid of maybe becoming dependent on them and not on my iron sights, or something like that.

I myself do not have a lot of hands-on experience with modern day weapons, so If I could get ya'lls opinion on my choices and the weapons I chose I would appreciate it! Any input will help! :)

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

You have done your research and are pretty much spot on with quality firearms. I would get the colt 1911 over the kimber especially if your going for historical.

3. Nashorn101

Nashorn101 New Member

Well true, but I've been told and read that Colt's margin of quality has decreased. That their firearms aren't as reliable as they used to be. I myself am not sure of this though, can you verify this please?

Also, I am not fond of any of their 1911's, other than their original
    1911A1 from wartime. Because, even though I am looking for history in my 1911, I am also looking for features and functionality.

I guess though maybe, I could eventually buy a Colt M1911A1 too?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Colt's quality hasn't decreased, if anything, has gotten better. reliability, well any firearm that is mass produced could have problems, but Colt is way at the top of the game when it comes to the 1911. remember Colt is the orignal and the one being copied.

i just looked at a new Colt Commander about a month ago. it was, IMO perfection. beautiful blueing and the fit and finish was very, very good. price was very decent too, my dealer had it priced at $860 + tax.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

To tell you the truth, the above highlighted statement would be more fitting if you substituted Kimber for Colt.

You asked, I'll reply.

Take a hard look at the Colt ARs. I have the LE6940 and love it!

COLT_LE6940.jpg

And the Colt Rail Gun will more than likely fit your 1911 requirements.

coltrailgun.jpg

colt_rail_gun.jpg

6. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Listen to this man. He knows all things colt lol :)

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Dang you Cane!!! I was fine without a Colt in my teeny collection until you posted that Rail!!! Now I've got a keyboard soaked in slobber and drool!!

8. Nashorn101

Nashorn101 New Member

I have always loved Colt, and they are the first ones who made the M1911 AND the M16A1...so going with history and authenticity, yea they are the best.

Cept' with the actual AR15 Colt models, I can't seem to find just a basic 16" flat top reciever carbine. They all have flip up sights and wierd stocks. The reason I care to get a basic model is because I like to have all the stock/factory furniture with it, even if I am going to replace it with Magpul accessories. To me the rifle just feels complete having all that.

Also, I really want to support the smaller company: Windham Weaponry, as the owner and all the workers there, used to be at their Bushmaster factory, until Bushmaster was bought out, and they were all fired.

And the only thing with the Colt M1911, is that the Kimber Warrior 1911 has a lanyard adaptor, none of the Colt 1911's do. Also, the Colt "Rail Gun" doesn't have night sights.

So, whenever I can get out to a gun range, i'll rent both the Warrior and the Rail Gun. I'll see which one I like better.

Any other input? :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

+10!

I'm gonna need to start keeping a bib at the computer.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd consider Colt, Springfield, or RIA, in 1911A1s, if you're trying for

a more military-style no frills original.

IMHO, the extra expense of a Kimber is just borrowing trouble.

Midway is a decent source for parts.

Sorry, I know less about ARs than B.O. knows about integrity...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  11. billt

billt New Member

I hear you loud and clear on the Colt furniture. I have both the Colt 6920, and the 6940 Models. Both are nice guns, but as you mentioned the factory stocks are a bit "weird". In fact I would say they are about the chintzyest standard military M-4 style stocks I've encountered yet. The standard stocks that came on my "lower tier" AR-15's were far more stout with thicker butt plates, along with 6 position adjustment. Both of my Colt's had only 2 position "Mil-Spec" buffer tubes, (all the way out, or all the way in), as they came from the factory, and the butt plates were the thinnest I've encountered on any AR-15 model. This is yet another case of "Mil-Spec" not meaning a hell of a lot, except settling for less.

I'm not concerned about it because like you I've replaced them with aftermarket stocks. I chose the Vltor E-Mod stock because it gives a longer length of pull. I kept the stock buffer tube on because I have long arms and shoot only with the stock fully extended. This is something you might want to keep in mind if you choose a Colt AR. I will keep the chintzy Colt stocks just to be able to return the gun to it's original state. Although I must admit there is little more chance of me doing that than replacing a $1,500.00 set of Aluminum custom mag wheels, with steel rims and hub caps. But I can understand your wanting to keep the option open.

As far as the 1911, there is certainly nothing "wrong" with Colt. I've had a Gold Cup Model since the early 70's and it's been a very nice pistol that has never given me an issue in thousands of rounds. Lately I'm finding myself leaning more towards the Springfield Armory 1911's for several reasons. They are avaliable in far more configurations and finishes than Colt. They are also priced much the same if not a little better. The only exception are the full dress target models. Through the years I've come into possession of 5 of them, and every one has been a fantastic pistol. They offer several "Mil-Spec" models in both Stainless and Parkerized finishes that would compliment your AR-15 nicely.

12. billt

billt New Member

I suppose I should mention that I did have to replace the recoil spring on my Colt Gold Cup a couple of years ago. The gun was starting to have some feeding issues. It turned out to be a weak recoil spring that just got tired over the years. I switched it out with a spring form Wolf and it was back up and running without a hitch. I couldn't even begin to count the number of rounds that spring has seen over the years. If the springs on all of my Springfield's hold up as well, I'll be a happy camper.

13. billt

billt New Member

Nashorn 101,

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/col...ible-stock-black-polymer-finish-p-125963.html

I just received this E-Mail from Able Ammo, and thought I would pass it along if you're interested. It is for a Colt 6920 Sporter for $1.179.99. They are advertising that it comes with a Mag-Pul 4 position collapsible stock instead of the crappy 2 position Colt model they supply on the Law Enforcement Carbine like I have. Other than that it seems identical. I'm not sure what the deal is with Colt. They appear to have stopped offering the Law Enforcement Carbine in the 6920 and 6940 Models, and have gone back to the "Sporter" Model. Whatever that is other than the rollmark on the side, I don't know. It appears they have these guns in stock and ready to go, so I just thought I'd pass it along.

14. Nashorn101

Nashorn101 New Member

Hmmmm, haven't really looked at Springfields, I'll look at them now.

Hahaha, ...that last statement. :D

Yea their furniture is just...unorthodox, i'm still looking at their AR's though.

That's another reason why I want the full factory parts, incase I need to sell or return it, so I can keep my accessories for my next AR.

After Therewolf and you mentioned Springfield armory 1911's, i'll go look at theirs.

As for AR's, I'll look at that AR15 you posted, see how it stacks up. Only thing is that Windham's AR is the same, if not better? For around $800-$1,000.

Just whenever I go to the range, I need to see if I can rent all those 1911's and see which one I prefer. As it makes sense that Colt's and Springfield's quality is above that of a Kimber. But...Kimber still is a nice pistol. So I won't drop the Kimber just yet.

15. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

IMO I think your choices are solid. I'm partial to the warrior myself. The dessert warrior is a nice piece though. Best of luck with your decisions. I'd say get what you want because it will most likely not be your last. :)

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I choose ammo as my main accessory. I like simple, no frills. Maybe extra mags.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, you're real picky aren't you? :eek:

Colt does make a 1911 with a lanyard loop, I just bought one;

My Colt Model 01911ANVIII;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or replace the Rail Gun's composite MSH for a metal one w/loop.

Night sights is not a big issue to swap out.

Cept' with the actual AR15 Colt models, I can't seem to find just a basic 16" flat top reciever carbine. They all have flip up sights and wierd stocks. The reason I care to get a basic model is because I like to have all the stock/factory furniture with it, even if I am going to replace it with Magpul accessories. To me the rifle just feels complete having all that. ​

Huh? If you want an A2 you're going to need to build one.

18. billt

billt New Member

If you can get the Windham in the $800 - $1,000 range, I would definitely go with it over the Colt. Colt's aren't that much "better".

19. Nashorn101

Nashorn101 New Member

Statement noted, thank you! :)

I don't like too many accessories, but some of them are needed for me on my rifles, especially on an AR. But no I don't put tons of lasers and scopes on them, that's just too complicated.

Well that's the M1911A1 style, which yes is built with a lanyard loop, but it doesn't have the other features I desire. It would just be too much to buy one of those but then have to replace ever part I don't want with a part I do want.

And I said a flat top receiver as in one with a removable carry handle. That is a "flat-top" correct?

Yea that's what I am thinking tool. I'm leaning towards a Windham AR.

20. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I would buy a Colt before I dropped $900 on a Windham, but that's just me.

If money is an issue, I would build an AR, its not hard and you can build a quality one for under $700.