Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few days ago I got bored and I got 2 of my mags and decided to tape them together. One magazine in the gun and the other mag inverted upside down flushed with the other mag. I had this idea for months and I really wanted to try it. So now I'm like eh, I'll give it a shot.

So I went ahead and did it, I also filled both magazines to 30 rounds (totaling 60 rounds) and used about 6 strips of Gorilla tape for them and that way its real solid and durable. They do go into the gun very nicly. You go "bang bang bang", your out of ammo, bolt locks to the rear, you hit your mag release button, take out the empty mag flop over to the new one, wack it in there, hit your bolt release button and go to town. So with a little bit of practice you can reload slighlty faster. And in theory it does give you a few extra seconds over your enemy vs. take out the empty mag, put it away, grab a fresh mag, put it in & hit the bolt release.

Now I have not tried it yet but I'll shoot a couple of rounds from each mag tomorrow or later this week to see how well they hold up. Now one thing for sure is they did make the AR a hell of alot heavier. So more than likely I'll take the tape off after a few hog hunts when I get tired of holding an AR thats heavy as a brick for 8 hours LOL.

So they are useful for close quarter gun fights. But from the the cons I read, the idea of jungle mags is not something to use forever. And since I have one of the mags inverted meaning bullets pointing down. People have said you can loose ammunition, get dirt/sand in there + getting it in the gun and therefore leading to malfuntions/jams, or if you drop it you'll damage the feed lips and eventually your mag. Or if you shoot prone, you will for sure get dirt and sand in the mag and on the bullets. However it does the job of increasing your reload speed.

It may not be a permanent thing but since when I go hog hunting in my tree stand, having a spare mag in your pocket can be hard to reach when your stalking hogs. And using a mag pouch (which I have one) is still a bit slower vs. just floping your mags when empty.

I love my AR and I like to get really creative so thats why I wanted to give this a try.

What do you guys think of using jungle mags?

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
So a few days ago I got bored and I got 2 of my mags and decided to tape them together. One magazine in the gun and the other mag inverted upside down flushed with the other mag. I had this idea for months and I really wanted to try it. So now I'm like eh, I'll give it a shot.

So I went ahead and did it, I also filled both magazines to 30 rounds (totaling 60 rounds) and used about 6 strips of Gorilla tape for them and that way its real solid and durable. They do go into the gun very nicly. You go "bang bang bang", your out of ammo, bolt locks to the rear, you hit your mag release button, take out the empty mag flop over to the new one, wack it in there, hit your bolt release button and go to town. So with a little bit of practice you can reload slighlty faster. And in theory it does give you a few extra seconds over your enemy vs. take out the empty mag, put it away, grab a fresh mag, put it in & hit the bolt release.

Now I have not tried it yet but I'll shoot a couple of rounds from each mag tomorrow or later this week to see how well they hold up. Now one thing for sure is they did make the AR a hell of alot heavier. So more than likely I'll take the tape off after a few hog hunts when I get tired of holding an AR thats heavy as a brick for 8 hours LOL.

So they are useful for close quarter gun fights. But from the the cons I read, the idea of jungle mags is not something to use forever. And since I have one of the mags inverted meaning bullets pointing down. People have said you can loose ammunition, get dirt/sand in there + getting it in the gun and therefore leading to malfuntions/jams, or if you drop it you'll damage the feed lips and eventually your mag. Or if you shoot prone, you will for sure get dirt and sand in the mag and on the bullets. However it does the job of increasing your reload speed.

It may not be a permanent thing but since when I go hog hunting in my tree stand, having a spare mag in your pocket can be hard to reach when your stalking hogs. And using a mag pouch (which I have one) is still a bit slower vs. just floping your mags when empty.

I love my AR and I like to get really creative so thats why I wanted to give this a try.

Worth trying! To see if you like

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We were trained specifically not to do this for combat. You noted all the negatives in your original post. For hunting it's not such a big deal, but a bent feed lip that means 30 rds of ammo now can't be used is life threatening for a soldier. I won't do it even though gunfights with the enemy are far in my past

As others have noted a properly placed mag pouch does wonders. I like the plastic, single mag ones, with a clip that I can half slip into my off side front pocket and stay put, to hunt with. They also make a forward grip that holds a magazine at the ready. Also several buttstocks models do this too. Both are heavy options as you already noticed. Anything that adds more mass to the weapon is something to avoid.

Place spare ammo on your belt, vest, suspenders, web gear etc. where it wont interfere with the weapons movement. Or make your weapon any heavier than necessary, are the best option IMO. Then practice mag changes from that location. You will get smoother and faster over time..

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worth trying! To see if you like
Exactly! Lol its more than likely not going to stay that way forever. Its just tape that I can peel off anytime I'd like. Its something I saw in call of duty games and movies as a kid and was like "this type of reloading can one day save my life" kind of thing lol. But in reality because of all the cons of it I listed its more of a cool method/fun way of reloading at the range than it is something that will save your life one day.

Now In a SHTF, if thats all you had were those 2 mags and you had people that wanted to harm you. Then I would more than likely have the mags jungle style.

Now I do believe soldiers during the Veitnam war used jungle mags and just duct taped their 20 rnd mags. But I think they also had constant jams/malfuntions with their M16's because of this plus other reasons.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We were trained specifically not to do this for combat. You noted all the negatives in your original post. For hunting it's not such a big deal, but a bent feed lip that means 30 rds of ammo now can't be used is life threatening for a soldier. I won't do it even though gunfights with the enemy are far in my past

As others have noted a properly placed mag pouch does wonders. I like the plastic, single mag ones, with a clip that I can half slip into my off side front pocket and stay put, to hunt with. They also make a forward grip that holds a magazine at the ready. Also several buttstocks models do this too. Both are heavy options as you already noticed. Anything that adds more mass to the weapon is something to avoid.

Place spare ammo on your belt, vest, suspenders, web gear etc. where it wont interfere with the weapons movement. Or make your weapon any heavier than necessary, are the best option IMO. Then practice mag changes from that location. You will get smoother and faster over time..

I agree, I have one of those camo mag pouches that holds 3 mags and I like it alot. The weight of the rifle with the jungle mags is really noticeable when trying to aim. I put a timer on my phone to see how long I can aim with the jungle mags. And man I get tired after like 1 min LOL. It seems that its fun having the jungle mags on and using them. But I have this feeling that I'll be more focused on not getting any dirt/sand in the mag kind of thing no matter what you do vs. just shooting the rifle and using it how it is.

But hopefuly I can pop a few rounds for each mag soon and see how they hold up, hopefully the recoil and vibration of the rifle doesnt make the mag thats inverted spit some of the ammo out lol. In that case I'm taking the tape off the next second Lol.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You need 60 rounds for hog hunting?:eek:
Lol your just jelly!! Just kidding! :) Not really I don't. I have those 2 mags marked. One mag is a self-defense, the other is to hunt hogs. However they will be helpful should I need the other.

No I use a red dot sight scope thats limited to only like 30 - 50 yards. So I cant shoot it like a bolt action rifle. For hogs, I would have to rapid fire them especially If I'm shooting more than one. The jungle mags is more if in case I run out or one mag randomly jams, I can just flop over to the new one.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One could also buy the plastic clips made for this application to hold 2 magazines together

However I feel a proper run rig, whether Battle belt or Chest rig, will support your struggle for fire superiority better.
I did see those on Amazon/Ebay running at like $30 or so. And I think it holds both your mags vertical meaning bullets always pointing up. Iraqveteran8888 did a youtube video and they had like 10 - 15 mags on one AR for laughs kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
One 60 round (Magpul) drum (in the weapon) and six 30 rounders carried on the belt. Works for me.

And if you're feeling especially paranoid, a few bandoliers around your neck!:p

1 Posts

I was in the 7th ID(L) in the 80s. We made our own using 100mph tape wrapped around the mags & a pull tab over the top of the mag facing down. Worked perfectly! I spent a lot of time in the Jungles of So America

1 - 16 of 16 Posts