AR15 Lowers - better hurry

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by slowryde45, Jul 15, 2010.

1. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I saw some on that site that were $59 but they were sold out. Anyone know how long they usually take to get some back in stock?

3. russ

russ New Member

AIM may or may not restock a particular item once it's sold out. They sometimes get a special shipment of something and when it's gone, it's gone.

4. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This has me considering building one now... It doesn't appear to be that hard to get a complete upper and build a lower from a stripped and a parts bag...

5. russ

russ New Member

It isn't. I've done two that way now. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that are willing to help. You just need to decide a direction before you start so you don't waste money on things you don't really need/want.

6. Angry_bald_guy

I was looking at a basic A2 or A4 upper chambered in 5.56 NATO and just running with a lower and a basic parts bag. Nothing fancy, nothing custom.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got a stripped upper right here but gun bank isn't making any loans at the moment.

8. russ

russ New Member

My personal preference is A4, so you can mount optics if you choose. But it's just that, personal. If you prefer the simplicity of the A2, then go for it. There is a thread, I think it's even a sticky, dedicated to finding AR parts on a budget.

9. Angry_bald_guy

Are there any fairly cheap combinations of the two? Like a handle with rear sights that still has optics mounts?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You can find a removable A2 handle that has the analog sights you are used to, but can be removed and optics mounted on the A4 rail instead.

11. Angry_bald_guy

Cool, so in other words, I can have my A4 with all the benefits of an A2 plus optics mounts?

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, if we are speaking the same language. You can have this:

Amazon.com: Removable Carry Handle, Black, AR15/M16: Sports &…

This handle will mount to an A4 flat top that looks like this:

Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 A4 Flattop Matte - MidwayUSA

Then you can get a scope mount like this:

AR Rifle Accessories, A3 A4 AR-15 Mounts, Armalite, Picatinny Weaver Scope Mounts, Weaver Scope Rings, Burris Scope Rings, Warne Scope Rings, Leupold Scope Rings, Harris Bipods

For the right size scope you want to use.

When you want your scope, you run with that, when you want your carry handle and your iron sights, you unscrew the scope mounts and attach the carry handle.

Now, if you want to get fancy, you can go with something like this:

LaRue Tactical 30mm 2 Piece QD LT-123

These are quick release type mounts.

Or, you can just get a flat top receiver, get the scope you want and get a set of back up iron sights that fold down and out of the way. Which is what most of us do. :D

13. Angry_bald_guy

We are indeed speaking the same language... I'm salivating at the thought.