Ar15 help / build project

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by moneymaker17, Jun 29, 2011.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

I just bought a ar 15 smith and wesson lower receiver yesterday. I'm looking for more parts already when I was about to buy a should stock it asked for eaither commerial or mil spec what does that mean?? Also I'm looking at triggers I want to do a good nice trigger that's not to expensive and easy to install. Any help guys thanks pics soon!!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

mil-spec means made to military specifications. this is desirable in most parts excluding higher end match grade parts which are built in general to higher tolerance than mil-spec. commercial grade means it may or may not be in spec can be higher or lower grade than milspec. generally commercial grade will be lower quality meant for putting cheap rifles together for people who may not shoot 1000 rounds in a lifetime.

purely my opinion best bang for the buck upper recievers atm are rock river arms.

the rock river arms two stage trigger is the best highest quality trigger for the price point. i just got one for my AR15 and will be taking it out for a test drive. its got a glass rod break feel to it right after a short light takeup.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Moneymaker,

I would suggest you take a look at the Rock River Two Stage Trigger if you want a real nice match grade trigger and not spend an arm and a leg for it. They are about the best out there for the price. Shop around to find the best deal on them.
    As far as the stock I personally would go ahead and buy the commercial the mil-spec doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy. The buffer tube (Extension Tube) on the Mil-Spec is smaller vs the commercial. For example the Rock River 6 Position Collapsible Stock kit as well as Stag, Sabre, Bushmaster and others are actually the commercial models. As well as all 25,000 of the FBI and DEA contract weapon. So with this in mind I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
    When it comes to the companies mentioned above. Most their products exceed the standard of mil-spec. Closer tolerances.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

MM, nice choice on the S&W stripped lower! The one I have is excellent.

I would get the milspec size M4 stock kit (assuming you want that style stock). Also there are many more options for aftermarket stocks if you go with the milspec size receiver extension (that screws into your stripped lower) instead of commercial size.

As far as triggers, you said good but not too expensive so I'd recommend a Stag LPK which comes with a nice single stage trigger. I've been impressed with the three Stag kits I've installed. But everyone has a different opinion of what a good trigger feels like so you may want to try out a few before buying.

If you decide to go this route, BCM has Stag LPKs and nice milspec stock kits.

BTW, I'm not saying the commercial size is bad, just that you have more 3rd party options going with milspec. The main thing is get the same size for the RE tube and stock.

5. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Just a suggestion but give Palmetto State Armory a look as well. They have nice deals on magpul stock kits, and their Upper receiver has gotten very good reviews and doesn't cost an arm and legs. They also have lower parts kit with many options. Don't know how good these lpk are but I haven't read a bad review from PSA yet. And I believe one of the PSA rep on ar15 forum said all their upper has lifetime warranty.

6. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

This is the stock im going to order for my ar-15, Magpul MOE Stock Black

please tell me anything i need to know before i order this stock. thatd be great.
    id

as far as this 2 stage trigger goes, how easy is it to install? i dont have any spcial tools for this, yet.. haha thanks !!!!!

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The MOE is an excellent product.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

IMO 2 stage trigger is easier to install than a standard trigger, but neither is difficult to do. Read the instructions in the permanently attached posts at the top of this section for some great advice and guidance.

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

That price is just for the stock here's one for the entire assembly:
    MAGPUL MOE Stock Kit Milspec - Black

And yes, magpul stuff is good.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

MM, the MOE stock you linked is milspec so you'd need a milspec RE or buy the commercial size MOE and RE. The Magpul kit Car54 linked is a great one-stop solution. I've always had great service from DSG too.

11. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

thank you for the cheaper web site i will be ordering from them.

also...
    what barrel twist should i get if alls im going to be doing it target shooting. 100yards diffrent types of rounds.
    i want a bottom rail for a 2nd pistol grip>> not sure what its exactly called...
    any ideas? thanks

12. Car54

Car54 New Member

Either a 1/9, or a 1/7 should do you fine. You'll probably be using 55 grain rounds most of the time and both twists will do the job.

You are referring to the "foregrip" as the second pistol grip. Rails can be added to some handguards or later you can put on a quad rail which gives you four rails to attach accessories.

13. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

Rock River Arms: Varmint A4 Upper Half

this is the upper i want. put i would like to put a foregrip on it. can i add a rail by drilling and or tapimg
    my lower should be tuesday so i got to go to the gun shop to do the paper work.
    im going to order the sholder rest today!!

what do you guys think about this upper
    thanks!

14. Rhodesian

Rhodesian New Member

Also consider making it like the C7A2.. Basically a M16A2 Upper and M4 Lower.. Just a thought for you to keep in mind..

[​IMG]

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Those 145s are awesome. They have a BDC out to 800+ and are a x3 magnified optic. Im not real sure Id want one on of those big arse optics on top on my AR though.

16. Car54

Car54 New Member

Call RRA and ask them if a rail can be added. If not, ask what options they have so you can have a rail. They should have other handguards available.

Nice looking upper by the way.

17. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

upper?????? HELP

Photo Gallery

what you think of this upper? im not sure about lenghth on the upper. i want the assult look, like a SWAT gun. not the "sniper rifle" look helppp Thanks

18. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

is anybody selling a .223, 5.56 nato complete upper? please let me know or p.m me thanks

19. Car54

Car54 New Member

You haven't said what your budget is but this is worth taking a look at if you want a stainless steel barrel: 1/8 twist, stainless steel 16" barrel, Surplus Arms upper (lifetime warranty), SAA mil spec bolt and carrier, charge handle, 1 rail gas block, Magpul MOE handguard for $372 shipped. Magpul sells rail attachments about $8 each, that screw onto the handguard. They also have an angled foregrip about $28 that is real comfortable which goes on the rail.

*Surplus Ammo & Arms Complete M4 16" Upper Receiver Assembly - Surplus Ammo

PAlmetto State Armory has some in stock and on sale, you can google complete uppers and see what comes up. There are some out there, but uppers from Spikes are sold out everywhere, Bravo Company has some BCM's in the 14.5", Del_Ton has an assortment available but it's taking time to build and ship.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  20. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Just ordered myself a Palmetto State Armory 16" Premium Complete Upper with MOE handguard and MBUS for $470 + $15 shipping. I am glad I put my order in as soon as I could because it looks like it's already sold out again after 2 weeks on the website. They have some combo deal right now for the standard complete upper with lpk and stock kit. The only difference between the premium and standard upper is that the barrel on the standard is made out of 4140 instead of 4150 steal like on the premium.