ar15 fte/ftf issues please help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by k1llapanda, Jun 11, 2013.

1. k1llapanda

k1llapanda New Member

I know i am jumping the gun a lil asking this right now. My rifle is right around break in phase. Have 450 rounds through it. Had two sessions of about 70 rounds. Cleaned after. And recently took her out in 110 degree weather and shot about 320 rounds out. I use frog lube and have on every gun i own and love it. But my rifle will have spurts where ot will shoot 5-10 rounds and womt eject the empty and then sometimes 1 round before fte (failure to eject) issues. As u can imagine its a pain to breakdown and clean an ar in 110 degree temps so after about 10 cleandowns i stopped and went home. I shot factory reload. Pmc. Wolf. Lake city. A jammed. And mags are all pmags. Any help is appreciated. I am located in phx, az if that helps also.
    SEMPER FI

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Sounds like maybe an extractor problem. Could be the steel cases of the wolf. Also what is ur barrel chambered in 223, 223 wylde or 556? Make sure your using the right ammo for the barrel. You might need an extractor upgrade.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

By FTE do you mean spent cases occasionally stuck in the chamber?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Fail to extract or fail to eject?

5. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Well there's your problem...it's just too damn hot here that's all!
    Seriously though with a little more info these guys will help you out. They all know their stuff.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I would say start small. Change your lube. Start using CLP or motor oil.

Check the mags. Is it the same mag causing problems?

And then check the extractor. Is it dirty? Maybe have a bad extractor spring if its pulling out of chamber but not ejecting. Tad more info will help

7. k1llapanda

k1llapanda New Member

Thanks everyo e for responses. I cleaned it hard and shot and its all gravy now. Just break in i am assumin. It was failing to eject spent casings and then would feed and i would get double feeds on occasion. I am a firm believer in frog lube. Worked wo ders for my kimber and my buds ar. But i do appreciate everyones help. Now i know what to look for if any future issues pop up. Any one in az? Lookin for some people to run tactical drills

8. k1llapanda

k1llapanda New Member

Also all mags are new and the same. All have less then 70 rounds through them. Just so people knew.
    Semper fi

9. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I'm out here in Gilbert..Where are you?

10. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

For future refrence of someone else reading this thread...

FTF and FTE I usually look first at the ammo. If switching the ammo doesn't solve the problem, I try different mags.

I'll examine the extractor and if I don't see any obvious problems I will check for gas port alignment/blockage issues.

If I don't see gas port problems, back to the extractor and extractor spring. I may disassemble the bolt assembly and make sure it's perfectly cleaned inside and possibly upgrade extractor and ejector springs.

Other issues, if the buffer weight has been changed, I might put in a smaller buffer. People like heavy buffers for issues of perceived recoil but they can cause problems if too heavy. Buffer springs can be too tense or too weak. BCG can be too light or too heavy. If any of these have been recently changed that's likely the culprit.

Improper lubrication can sometimes be the cause. If you completely clean your AR's action with solvent but don't lubricate it. Pull back on the charging handle and take not of the resistance. Then properly lubricate and do the same, you will likely notice a difference in resistance.

When

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

@ panda, you might try putting an O-ring under the extractor spring, if it doesn't already have one. See if that helps. About 10 years, the military started putting them in the carbines, and a lot of BCG manufacturers have followed suit. I just purchased a BCM Bolt carrier group, and it came with it. If it works, it's a cheap and easy fix.