AR15 curiosity question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by okdonk, Nov 20, 2011.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Dear experienced members,
    I havent owned an AR15 but planning to buy one. I am interested of this model from Bushmaster:
    http://www.impactguns.com/Bushmaster-223-m4-moe-blk-bcwa3f16m4mo-604206113382.aspx
    I noticed Bushmaster is one the best brand for AR15. But i don't know why my local gun stores dont carry Bushmaster brand. For this kind of rifle ammo, do walmart stores sell them? How much an average for each? I also noticed for civillian AR15 models only semi auto, not full auto. I assume full auto firing mode only for LOE? Last question, i just bought my first firearm, Glock19 2weeks ago. Will i get denial on background check if i buy this rifle not long after my first firearm purchase?
    Sorry for having too much questions and thank you for any inputs given. Appreciate it. Thx

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Bushmaster is good. So is Rock River, Stag, Colt and a bunch of others. There are many options. You won't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. What brands do your local stores carry?

Wal-mart near me (in New York) does not sell rifle ammo but there are plenty of sources. The model you're looking at is chambered for both 5.56 and .223 which is good.

AR-15s are semi-auto only. It may be possible for you to purchase a full-auto M4, but those are expensive and require you jump through some hoops for the government first.

There should be no problem with you buying another firearm soon after buying the last one. NICS doesn't care. Check with your local laws and make sure there aren't any limits of how many you can buy in a given time.

3. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

in maryland its 30 day waiting unless you have a collectors liscense.

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My local stores carry sig and daniel defense brands. For about the same price i might as well get the one i wanted online.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Both are good brands. Figure out what you want and do some shopping online to get an idea how much it should cost you and then make a call on the DD or Sig. Personally, I'd go for a different brand that's as good and cheaper. Build your own or buy online.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Daniel Defense puts BM to shame. If you have the chance to get a Daniel Defense do yourself a favor and get it. Purchasing an AR simply based on how it looks is asking for a headache.

The model you linked is a normal BM in a pretty dress. If you're wanting a rifle that performs and are in the market for a $1,000 rifle a BCM or DD, heck even a Spikes will give you better value for your dollar. You can get a similarly dressed Spikes for less. Check out www.Aimsurlplus.com for Spikes uppers at great prices.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Consider yourself lucky your local gun shop actually has a Daniel Defense in stock. I'd go handle that rifle right now so you get a feel for what a quality AR is! And if you shop around, for not that much more $ than many Bushmasters. I'm so glad I stumbled across a great deal on a stripped DD upper a year ago.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I was thinking the same thing even though if my LGS had one it would be hundreds over what I could get it for online.

9. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

Aren't AR15 designs identical? Like a 1911 .45?

If that is the case, in what way are certain brands superior? I recently purchased a Stag Model 2 in 5.56, and everything seems to fit precisely and operate smoothly, from shooting to take down. The trigger seems a little heavy, but I'm a long gun noob, so really have no frame of reference other than semi-auto and revolver handguns.

Thanks,
    Blue1

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

basic design is pretty much similar. the big difference is machining and material quality. some are put together with crappy parts and materials and won't last as long as a quality built one.

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Since you used 1911s as an example. Different brands of ARs are different just like a Rock Island 1911 is different than a Nighthawk or an Ed Brown.

While for occasional shooters, the Rock Island would be a great handgun, it wouldn't be a good for someone who shoots much more often, say 500 rounds a month.

It's all about the quality of parts used, the quality of labor used, in some cases what accessories come with the rifle. There are definitely some brands that are in my opinion much better than others. If I wanted to stay in the sub 1k range, I would go with either BCM or Spikes. Above that, DD, LMT, LWRC, KAC, and many others makes excellent ARs. It's all about how much you wanna spend.

-Fred

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

People forget about things like gas port size, consistency in manufacturing, quality control, and customer service.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

AR parts tend to be interchaneable and usually fit but that doesn't mean all parts are equal. There are a lot of cheap knockoff parts of low quality, just as you find for 1911s, Glocks and even Camrys. Same goes for tools, two sockets may be the same size but if one's made of pot metal, well you're gonna bust your knuckles. It's important to learn which parts to use if you need a reliable rifle you can bet your life on.

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Been browsing DD site and watched its durability video. Im impressed! Oh well.. now my heart goes to DD. Will spend some time browsing on which model ill be getting. Thx guys

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

No argument from me on that one.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Finally my DD is completed ;)

Attached Files:

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Looks really nice.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very nice, okdonk! Can you describe the components you used? And did you go online or get one at the LGS?

19. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've got a Bushmaster and really like it. I can get ammo for it just about anywhere. I would just check and make sure it can fire both .223 and 5.56. I believe most Bushmasters can.

As for the other purchase, I don't know. You'd need to check your local laws and such.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Fire, you can be certain a Daniel Defense can! :D