ar15 chrome lined barrel vs stainless steel

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Copeman60, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Im working on my second ar build an im on the fence about what barrel to get. It will either be18in or 20 an 556 chambering. I want both max accuracy an reliability.. Also a long barrel life. My max price is around 250. Anyone have any experience on either barrel?? Thanks

Dan

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Accuracy-lean toward stainless
    Reliability- lean toward Chrome lining (but mostly for harsh conditions.)
    Barrel life-Lean toward Chromed

Looks like two points for chrome.

3. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Get stainless, good accuracy and you will never wear it out, even come with a grey-black coating if desired.

4. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

I use stainless for all my varmit builds. These are 500 yard plus minute of prarie rat accurate.Chrome lasts great but accuracy suffers a little too much for my standards. ;)

PS 1/8 223 wylde and 20"+ goes without saying. :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

SS- is ideal for slower fire precision shooting.
    CL- fits best for rapid fire, heavy use, and will tolerate more abuse.

For precision you might look into something along the lines of an 18"/1:8 twist/.223 Wylde stainless barrel.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

what kind of groups are you looking for?

1-2 inch groups at 100 yards? Chrome.

Under 1" groups at 100 yards? Stainless.

What kind of distance are you shooting?

300 yards? You're good with 16"
    400 to 500? You're good with 18....
    500 up? look at a 20"

The best compromise in accuracy and durability would be a melonited barrel. (FNC Ferratic Nitro Carburization) Fairly new to the scene, there aren't too many out there. My friend has had a lot of love for his ar15performance 20". Great price too.

7. SSGN_Doc

Never say never.

If this is a high volume shooter, and he is tracking accuracy, it may display a loss of accuracy after about 10,000 rounds. For three gun match shooters that could be a few years.

Service rifle match shooters often swap stainless barrels at the 10,000 round mark as well.

Most typical shooters though, you are probably right, and they will never shoot enough rounds to notice.

8. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I would like to stick with 556 so my opinions aren't limited. My shtf ammo is 556 62grain green tip.

9. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I've heard around 30,000 rounds for stainless an 40 plus for chrome lined. My 16in barrel on my mud ar is chrome molly an its been great so far with a ball park estiment between 5000 an 6000 round with no lost accuracys.. I do shoot wolf an tula from time to time. I want this next build to be low maintenance as far as cleaning..

10. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Accuracy does matter to me. I do alot of bench shooting so I would probably notice the difference in accuracy vs chrome lined an ss. My 16in with a stag upper an olympic lower an olympic barrel that is chrome molly can achieve 1 moa at 100 yards. I have gotin sub moa on rare occasions.. I think im leaning toward ss.

11. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I would like to achieve sub moa. For distance I won't be shooting past 500 yards. I like the thought of a 20'' but that's a big rifle with added weight.. How much is this fnc melonited barrel an what makes it better than ss an chrome lined??

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

223 Wylde will shoot 556 just fine. And accurately. I'm not gonna waste time composing some grand argument as to why it might be right for you...instead I'll simply suggest that you research its potential for yourself.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  13. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I was alway told if your barrel is stamped 556 it's safe to shoot both. If it's stamped 223 it can only shoot 223. Im not saying this is 100 percent true but why take the chance. What makes the 223 wylde better than the 556 chambering?? Im not disagreing

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Might not be better for you. And might be. It'll shoot both 5.56 and .223, and quite well. The 1:8 twist is usually the most versatile and arguably ideal twist rate for any of these calibers (regardless of barrel length) in my opinion.

Google '223 wylde', and figure out if it suits your tastes and goals for this rifle. I kinda suspect that it does, but you'll gain far more from doing your own research than reading my vague stabs at what you want. (I don't know what you want, but I'll certainly do my best to point you in the direction of the best possible outcome.) From what I see in this thread, I think you'd benefit from investigating this caliber.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

whatever you get, make sure you clean it and maintain it for optimal life and performance. true words for any firearm

17. SSGN_Doc

The barrel won't necessarily be "shot out" at 10,000 rounds, but in competative shooting some competitors notice that this is where they start to get measurable degrades in accuracy on a competitive level. Practical accuracy may be fine for another 20,000+ rounds with a stainless match barrel.

I've bought barrels that better competitive shooters than myself were getting rid of, because they were still more accurate than I'm capable of wringing out of them, or for builds that didn't require sub MOA accuracy.

18. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Yes of course