Ar15 calibers???? What one shouli i build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by mrbirdguy, May 26, 2013.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I just ordered a ar15 lower reciever but it may be a while befor I get it beacause wating time fore state paper work but I was wondering what caliber should I build it and why?
    What is sompting bigger Thain a 223 that isint a odd ball that I could make it as I want this to be a acurate gun and may want to do alittle hunting with it maby go coyote or hog but I don't want a 50bmg or anything what's your thoughts and why thanks

W

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

mrbirdguy,

If you are planning on loading it I would highly recommend the 6.5 Grendel. Its ballistics are great even at long distance and it is a great round for prairie dogs, coyotes, Bobcat, Pigs with 95 gr. Hornady V-Maz. And has been good for me for Deer in the 120 gr. bullet range. But as accurate as it gets. With the 95 Gr vs it will turn a prairie dog inside out at 400 yards.
    Of course if you want bigger and only need a good 200 yard gun the 458 SOCOM is a monster. It will shoot longer distances but not as flat as the others being 45 Cal. at longer ranges. I shoot a 325 gr. Hornady round in mine for hunting.

One of the other more common calibers that you can buy at a sporting goods retailer without too much trouble is the 6.8 SPC.

3. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

What is the difference in 6.5 vs 6.8

How about cost of the rounds how avalable are they?

4. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

How avalable are 6.5 reloading dies?

And bullets and reloading data

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

300 Blackout appears to be a round that is making in-roads quickly in the AR market.

6. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

What is the hunting use of 300 blackout
    How avalable is ammo
    And how easy is it to get reloading dies / bullets

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Reloading dies are available for the 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC, and the .300 Blackout. Bullets arid available for all three, the 6.5 uses the same projectiles you could use in a 6.5 Swede Mauser as long as you stuck to the lighter end if the spectrum. 6.8 basically uses .270 bullets, and the .300 uses .308 cal bullets.

.300 blackout and 6.8 SPC seem a bit more available because they opened production to other ammo manufacturers early. The 6.5 actually seems to have some of the best Ballistic potential, but the manufacturer kept the rounds as an exclusive for a long time, which may end up killing the round off.

8. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Confused

Not shure what to go with

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Go with the .223 first, and buy another upper later.

.223 is becoming readily available (though still a little high).

10. msup752

msup752 New Member

I concur. Get a 5.56 first.

Then, if you want a 200 yd or less caliber with more potential, get the 300 blackout. I have pretty much ditched 5.56 for 300 although ammo is scarce. 300 Blk is a do-it-all caliber including suppressed options, short barreled/pistol options and all parts comparability with 5.56 except the barrel.

If you want punch at a long distance, the 6.5 Grendel is unmatched in the standard AR platform. 1000 yard hits are very possible along with much more energy at close ranges. I have a stripped lower begging for one of these but there are just aren't any available.

6.8 is a fail in my opinion. It hits harder than the 300 Blk and has more range but it is expensive and the 6.5 Grendel outshines it in almost all areas of performance.

The big bores are for serious medium to short range hunters.

There is my 2c! Now back to loading more 300 Blk!

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I added a 6.8 for deer hunting with an AR 15, Hornady Custom ammo for my 6.8 is about the same as for my 308. Do I plink with 6.8? No, I use my 5.56 and steel case ammo for plinking.

If/when I start reloading, I can load for both my 6.8 and my 270.

It is up to the OP to decide, 6.5, 6.8, 300 blk, they are all good rounds.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There are also the 243 WSSM - 25 WSSM - 30 OSSM caliber uppers from Olympic Arms.
    Olympic had a bad rep several years ago,but I know some guys that have these WSSM caliber uppers,and they function well/shoot well,and the ballistics blow away the others like the 6.8 and the 300.

Ammo for the 243/25 WSSM is pretty common at most big dealers,I'm not sure about the 30 OSSM.
    If your wanting to be able to hunt bigger game,these will give you a lot more range than most of the others.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Always 5.56 first! It is an amazingly versatile cartridge. In general, if you don't know what you want, then wait...

300Blk is very interesting, but not as a first rifle. Is this your first?

14. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

No I also have a 17hmr and a 22lr

I don't shoot much for lack of. A close place don't regularly hunt eather I am looking to put to gether a nice rifle

15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I agree your first AR15 should be a 5.56. You can add a .300 or other upper later. The lower is the only part that has to be purchased through an FFL.

16. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I only will have 1 ar as I live in maryland and the new laws .... And wating time 70-90 days in paper work
    And I can't realy spent the. $ to get anouther lower juts went fore this lower befor I can't get one

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

you only need one lower. the uppers for all these calibers can be used with just one lower

18. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

How does it effect accuracy and optics when u change uppers I assume I would have to change barrels also

19. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I have shot a 223, 6.8, 6.5 grendel, and the 50 beowulf all of them are great calibers. The 6.5 and 6.8 are not that different. The 6.5 is a little faster but uses a slightly smaller bullet. The 6.5 is supposed to have one of the best balistic coeficient however all can be extremely accurate. Either of the two would be great choices. Then there is my favorite the 50 beowulf. The 50 beowulf shoots a 50 cal bullet typically between 300 and 500 grns. The recoil is not horrible and it is very fun to shoot. The 50 beowulf will stop anything within 250 easily and would be great for shooting pigs.

Below is a 50 beowulf cwrtridge and a 556

Attached Files:

20. ttsl

ttsl New Member

223 will do fine, if you load it with Nosler 60 gr Partition softpoints, for deep penetration. Need 1 in 9" rifling to stabilize them, tho. then you can switch to .22lr in 20 seconds of parts swap. google for Ciener's $200 /22lr conversion units. I've heard that 1 in 7" rifling can cause problems with accuracy and the .22 unit. dunno myself. gotta have sense enough to not aim at the shoulder blade, tho, and not shoot at the north end of a south facing animal. be sure to get a NM, 2 stage, drop in trigger job parts set, from RRA, rock river arms. you won't believe the difference it makes, iin accuracy and speed of hitting. $150 or less.

Last edited: May 31, 2013