Ar15 advice

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Natie, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Natie

Natie New Member

Hi all
    I just got an ar15. And i want some opinions of how to to upgrade it without losing its original look. I got it just for jackal hunting.

2. Natie

Natie New Member

This is the carbine. I would like to fit good optics for night and day shooting for long distances. I would also like to fit the best suppressor

Attached Files:

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Please be specifics... In which way of upgrade would you like? Internal like fire control group? External like stock, handguard, scope/ red dot sight, pistol grip, vertical/ angle fore grip and etc? There are lots of upgrade.. basically it will be more tactical look. Just saying..

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Your flash hider is removable.. u just buy the suppressor u want and attach it.
    Is your carry handle removable? I hope it is.. but u still can put scope on it with somr mounting.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Magpul makes tons of drop-in accessories, as do lots of other manufacturers. I've chosen to go with aftermarket Magpul Dynamics stuff.

I started with a Century Arms AR15A2 in 5.56 mm with a 20" barrel. I changed the handguards from round plastic ones to a two piece quadrail setup made by NcStar.

Changed the pistol grip to a Magpul NOR pistol grip, changed out the straight trigger guard for a Magpul Enhanced trigger guard for shooting with heavy gloves. Got an NcStar holographic sight with 4 reticle options in two colors, red or green. Also got a Magpul AFG (angeled foregrip) and tactical sling.

I also chose to get a few Magpul Pmags, 30 round magazines and ranger plates.

My Pmags were the first magpul products I bought and was so impressed with them I went with other magpul products on my AR.

Everything I've done to my rifle can be removed if I want to change it later.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Is that a Colt ? Leave the flash hider you have on it, I highly suggest purchasing a nice match grade trigger , and as far as optics goes that all depends on how much you wanna spend . $100-$3000 . I would leave it in its original state of looks as you have a very beautiful rifle there . Can we get some closer pics of each side ?

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Here's my rifle, pic didn't upload the first time. I've also got an NcStar 4x scope, fits in the groove on the carry handle.

ForumRunner_20120810_154026.jpg

I think my next upgrade will be a better trigger, maybe a match trigger but not sure yet

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. Natie

Natie New Member

Thanx drag

Ok
    My carry handle isn't removable but i bought a mount that can screw on. Then i can use the iron sights aswell as the optics i want to fit. Im looking into leopold right now.
    The next i want to upgrade is a adjustable cheeckpeace. what do you suggest?

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

please do NOT modify that beautiful piece of firearms magnificence :eek: Maybe install a match grade triggers as suggested but I would leave it as is. If you must have a more tactical rifle might I suggest another AR15 :D

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive got that carry handle mount as well, its what my holographic is sitting on, its very solid and retains its zero even if you remove it from the rifle.

Not sure about a cheek piece as I've not looked into one of those. There are literally hundreds of manufacturers of AR accessories, so somebody is bound to make one.

11. Natie

Natie New Member

Yes it is a colt

I got it from a friend for a very good price. This one had less than 1000 rounds through the barrel and is in perfect condition.

12. Natie

Natie New Member

Here is some more photos.
    I saw on you tube that you get cheeck pieces that doesnt damage the stock

Attached Files:

13. Natie

Natie New Member

Drag
    what sling do you have? Does it work good and does the carbine feel light on it?

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Leopold is good optic and pricey. Cant go wrong with it though. For stock with cheek, u might want to check out magpul's. If im not wrong its called ubr?

15. Natie

Natie New Member

Thank you very ver much.

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

It's a utg, my dad got it for me one year for Christmas, its 1.5" wide. My rifle is a little heavier than a carbine with its 20" barrel but its a very comfortable sling. I can go coyote hunting with the rifle slung over my shoulder or jump on the atv with it and it is very easy to deal with.

17. SWBMOAMP2691

SWBMOAMP2691 New Member

Well if you have the coin I would opt for any of the Trijicon ACOG series of scopes. They have a few different models that are calibrated with bullet drop compensator reticles specifically for the 5.56/.223 They are fairly small and lightweight and they are rated up to 800 meters with the bullet drop compensator. However they are fixed magnification but Trijicon also makes adjustable magnification rifle scopes. The ACOG is designed for the AR-15 and is also designed to mount directly to your carry handle. I'd recommend checking out their website and look through their products and see if you can find something that suits your fancy. As for low light shooting, the ACOGs have tritium lamps that illuminate the reticle in low light conditions and some have fiber optics that illuminate the reticle in any light. I have the TA01 model and it is a great piece of hardware. Built tough and returns to zero after remounting. I've put rounds on a man sized target out to about 800 m but it wasn't a nice group. I missed like 12 of the 20 rounds I shot after I zeroed it at 100 yards. I pushed it out to 300 and was able to get a likable group. I don't imagine you'll need to hunt jackals from that far away but the scope has those capabilities. Very pricy though, they'll run from $900-$1500 depending on the model.

18. Natie

Natie New Member

Will the stock fit with out changing the carbine?

19. Natie

Natie New Member

Will the ubr just fit on this carbine?

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Not sure if you have to change the buffer tube or not. If u do need, buffer assembly kit isn't that expensive. Around $30-60.