AR wood stocks

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by primer1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was sitting down doing my best thinking, and realized I never saw an AR wood stock. It would be a good counter against the antigunners, make the piece not so evil and menacing, ya know? So I got on Google images, and saw some nice sexy ones: natural, laminate, even free floated foregrips. Anyone have one, has shot one, etc? Is there any disadvantages, as in being too bulky or thin to support around the recoil spring?

2. monteros

monteros New Member

This series focuses on using wood furniture on his AR-15 :) I watched this months ago, will give you some ideas. :)

[ame]http://youtu.be/WQPCBXaJCfo[/ame]

3. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Tapco has a series of AR15 stocks. They call it their timbersmith series.

4. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

He is very thorough, but also very monotone/dull. At the end of the videos (and a bit a FF) I don't much like the wood look. It really looks "cheaper." Like a half assed AK I'm seeing on shelves these days. (Well not that bad, some of those look like they were finished with 80 grit paper). To each his own.

5. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Actually they only do it for AK and SKS rifles. For a BEAUTIFUL looking wood stocked AR, check out Turnbull Mfg. They make a wood stocked, color case hardened, AR in both .223 and .308. I believe they they are called the TAR-15 and TAR-10.

6. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

How about plum ar furniture? I couldn't find any pictures so I don't know if it would look as good as it does on an ak, but it might be cool.

7. primer1

That looked like a winner until I saw the $2500 price tag, with a $300 upgrade for wood -eeek-. Then I saw they were from new York state, which I boycott because of the politics.

Thanks everyone for the info, if any more arises feel free to post more.

8. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Hmmm I was 100% sure they did it for AR's as well. But now I see that you are right, Timbersmith doesn't make AR wood furniture... but I have seen it available somewhere....

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive seen ar wood stocks and such but never one that looked good.

10. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Search ar wood. I've got a set on my rifle length varmit gun. They also make a set for the shorter carbine, still fixed stock not adjustable. When I get back to the computer ill up a link.

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Wood stocks on an AR-15 are much like Communism. Sure it sounds good until you actually try it. Then it's just a horrible horrible idea.

12. dwmiller

Kind of funny then that this is the most requested upgrade from precisions shop... ;) makes a whole lot of sense for varmit hunters. Froze my cheek to a $%&** plastic stock two winters ago, never again.

The black/silver laminate matches with my winter digital camo pretty well also. They also do a camo in brown/green and a walnut.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  13. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

This made me laugh my *** off

14. primer1

^^^^^^^^
    That's what I'm talking about!

15. dwmiller

[​IMG]

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/19.html
    link as promised. Most of these are out of stock, get on the list and preorder, good company to deal with.

The rifle length black laminate is what I have on my Varmit rifle. 22" Wilson stainless 1/8 heavy barrel, national match bolt, billet Quentin defense lower, seekins precision adjustable gas block and Timney 3lbs trigger. It took about 1/2 hr of adjusting the forend to clear the gas tube/block on this "VERY nonstock" build. Most of the time was spent relieving a pocket to get at the gas block adjustor screw without removing the forend. They fit perfectly on 95% of all other AR builds. Other wasted time was getting a stud mounted bipod to fit right. Another 1 1/2 hrs there, just didn't like the way it looked at first so machine shop time well spent. Shoots .5 moa all day long as long as I do my part. Before you ask apx $2000 price tag before prices went crazy. good luck trying to find all these pieces now, and no mine is NOT for sale. :D

I plan on having the barrel I-beam fluted sometime in the future to save a little weight (10lbs, 4 oz now with 20 rds) and mount the forearm on a national match free float tube. Should drop the group size another .25 moa. Also a palm shelf mounted to the grip may be an option. Always something else to do....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  16. primer1

I like that black laminate a lot.

17. dwmiller

Yep looks good on a standard phosphate AR and works well on urban and winter camo builds too. I wish I could find the same set with a little more white to match my "snow" winter camo. Price was good too. Can't beat $159 + shipping. Could be the reason they are sold out all the time.;)

If you go with this setup make sure that you get the correct triangular forearm cap. Forgot to mention this above. Won't work with a standard round cap. $2 part, $20 in gas trying to find one local after I forgot to order. :confused:

This forearm also has a nice triangle profile. Would make an interesting 3gun setup for barricade shooting... just a thought

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Both are gorgeous. I thought about the wood furniture thing a couple months ago for an AR. But I would want a collapsible stock and free floating handguards... Haven't see them in wood yet.