AR vs AK vs SKS vs FAL vs CETME vs M14

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Gizord1, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Yup, which one?

You see AR vs AK threads all the time, but never one that includes all the main civilian platforms.
    Which one do you think is the best and why?

I personally prefer SKS. It's about as rugged as an AK, yet more accurate, less recoil and the 7.62x39 round is an excellent cartridge. With the right modifications, it can be an extremely reliable and useful rifle. Many would argue it's not customizable enough, but I'm not big into "tacticool" stuff, so I'm good.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. indy36

indy36 New Member

Keeping it generic... The FAL is heavy. The AK isn't long range accurate. The CETME, well, who uses that? Exactly. I'll take the AR.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

AS an all-around rifle, I'll admit the SKS is a favorite of mine.

I'd be reluctant to expose my AR to the abuse and usage

it sees. The SKS almost always makes it on the bus.

By M14, I'm assuming you're talking about the

re-stocked versions. I'd love to have one of those,

but I may get a mini-14 instead, because I'm on a

Caliber diet.

Part of this discussion is going to hinge upon

rifles with the rails for tactical stuff. Whether one

wants all that, ah, gear.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. armoredman

armoredman Member

Umm, can I vote none of the above?

[​IMG]

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Apples and onions.

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Where'd the oranges go? :confused:

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges are too close because they're both sweet fruit.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Really depends on the intended purpose, as stated they are radically different platforms. I think the AR15 is the most versatile of the ones named.

9. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I understand they are different, but they can all fulfill the same purpose. Some people prefer X platform over all the others.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Without being given a specific set of requirements, I'd go AR. It's highly versatile and can be modified to meet just about any need. The incredible amount of accessories and options available make it hard to beat in the US at least.

What other rifle can be modified to fire anything from a .223 to .458 Socom to .22 to a freaking crossbow and most anything in between. :D

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Actually its .22lr to 20mm cannon.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Granted, the AR can be adapted.

But if you go back to what's all around best

in the "run what ya brung" category, without

a shop and seventeen suppliers behind you,

the advantage goes back to the SKS.

And bear in mind the SKS is simply a scaled-down

version of the Soviet PTRS-41, the 57 caliber light

armor gun.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

One of each please. I have an AK, 2 SKS's, 3 AR's, a CETME, an HK-91. They are all good platforms. We have reasons why we end up with one over the other. The right deal comes along and "poof" you are in that platform. ANother good deal comes along and you are in that platform. I just have not found the right deal on a FAL or an M-14/M1A...YET!

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

That's pretty much it. I got my SKS, and loved it. I shot an AK, still preferred SKS. Shot a 5.56 (wasn't an AR), still prefer the 7.62x39.

15. 76239dave

76239dave New Member

AR is the most accurate, AK and its predecessor the SKS are most reliable. I compete with an AR and M1 Garand and i hunt pigs and varmints with an AK. All make decent assault rifles but none beat a shotgun for home defense. Just glad they are all out there to have fun with!

16. armoredman

armoredman Member

With the CETME, I'd have to restrict the choice to the Mars imported versions - I had a Century made CETME, and it made it through one magazine before falling apart...

17. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Falling apart???
    How?

18. armoredman

armoredman Member

Something failed, refused to seat the magazine, and something went wrong with the bolt - I was told later is was partially due to the ground bolt and excessive wear on the rollers. I don't remember exactly what it was - this was many years ago. All I remember was one magazine of 20 rounds, and it refused to feed another round, at all, from any magazine, just a total POS.
    I sold it to a guy who liked to tinker with stuff like that, and I'm told he got it running agin...but I want it running out of the box. Century said the warranty expired while the gun was in the warehouse, so I was out for a brand new rifle.

19. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Buy them all! But honestly FAL is the boss solid steel chrome lined long range goodness + adjustable gas piston system = E Z cleaning. AR awesome gun... Un maintained? Jams and FTF all day. AK awesome gun not as tactical or accurate but it fires every damn time even after 10'000 rounds without maintenance. SKS, just as reliable as the AK but takes a lot of work to make it as combat effective. Not for modern era. Own them all and love them all.

M1A/M14 also awesome shot many wishing to own one.

Oh except never buy one of those disgusting FAL/H&K knock offs. They are junk. So I hear

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I got, in this order, one SKS, one AK then one AR. Then AR, then AR, then AR. Guess you can see which I prefer! :D