AR trigger polishing... is it worth it.?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jlee0812, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I know some model handguns benefit from a polishing of the trigger parts... anyone who can say this is or isn't worth the effort...

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A guy named Bill Springfield is a legendary AR trigger polisher. Look him up.

3. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I'm a DIY type... maybe you tube??

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Its not that big of a deal . Unless your literally removing material, it will be fine . It will help make it smoother but its not going to help shorten the pull length or change the pull weight . The area that needs polished is the very front face of the trigger . Not the top ,nothing contacts that area. Then on the hammer where the trigger contacts it , this is a very small area and you do not want to remove any metal in this area .
    When you pull the trigger / hammer assembly out you will see where the 2 parts contact each other ,those are what needs cleaned up and polished . Dont expect it to turn it into a 3#, $250 trigger its not going to happen . If thats what you truly want you will need to buy a quality trigger assembly .

5. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I figured that much... I don't see a need really... There's no pretravel in my trigger now.... I'm just a tinkerer.... I'm learning to leave well enough alone... lol.. thanks for your help.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No problem , you can make them alot better if your willing to take a chance at having to replace it if you take off too much material or or hope you dont have a run away incident later from taking too much material .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I talked to my gunsmith...... we're friends.... he said.... You don't know enough about an AR trigger yet to scrutinize one.... talk to him after 1000 rounds... lol..