Ar start up

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by j-dave, Mar 26, 2012.

1. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I'm wanting to start a build on an Ar but I really have no idea where to go or what brands are worth sinking money into just hopping I can get something reliable and rugged for under 1000 to start on any help is appreciated

2. mt232

mt232 New Member

I got a DPMS panther for $700, bare bones with a carry handle. The sport one with the flip up sights was $800 or so, a buddy of mine got a Smith & Wesson M&P for about what I got mine and his has the flip up sights. Those are the only ones I know under $1000, hope it helps

3. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I found what looks like a complete assembly kit from delton for a 20 inch Ar anyone have anything to say about that kit?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

U get what you pay for . You will more than likely need a stripped lower to go with the rifle kit

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not knowing what you are going to do with the rifle but most start with a 16" CAR.

I also mover your thread. You should get more reply's here.

6. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I was going to get a PCF Plum Crazy Firearms C-15 AR-15 Complete Lower and a DSA ZM4 A3 Upper Receiver; 20" NON-Fluted Barrel, M4 Feed Ramps all for around 400 to start with supposed to legit by the reviews I saw

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Where were you reading reviews? Neither of those 2 are very good quality.

8. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I just skimmed the web and found about 10 on random forums. I know the quality isint as good as most of the higher end ones. I know the upper has a lifetime warranty. It was the fact that I can get a complete Ar to start with for 400 bucks that made me think about it

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

the best advice I have is to check out the stickies at the top of the AR section, read some of the build threads. After you've done that you will have a much firmer grasp as to what you want to look for.

Being so versatile and flexible it really depends on what you want to do with the AR more so than anything else. Iron out that detail, then start looking for rifles/parts that meet that criteria, the come back here and ask away ;)

Have you given any thought on building your own?

10. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I want to build my own but before I sink that kind of money into one I would like to have a complete one that fires so I would know what I need to change to fit my needs. In my experience quality only goes as far as the hands holding the gun.

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

In that case I'd recommend going to the local range and seeing if they have some you can rent, just to get a feel for what you want.

12. j-dave

j-dave New Member

The colt sp6920 is what made me want an Ar I liked everything about it but I don't like the price tag. Honestly I'm just trying to get away from 1911s and the Ar is what I saw next. But I will head back to the range tonight and try a few others just to get my head wrapped around everything.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Very cheap build! If you really want a polymer lower New Frontier Armory has one also. What are your intended uses? What ranges will you expect to shoot?

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If Im going to be spending a good amount of money Id do a little more than skim some random forums.

15. j-dave

j-dave New Member

I like the difference in weight alot better with a polymer cause if I need to be quick with it I want to be able to. Then there's the challenge of taking something someone wouldn't put time into and making them want it when I'm done.

16. j-dave

j-dave New Member

Didn't mean to make myself seem lazy lol but I have looked and I just found a really cheap build and was looking for some more opinions on it. Good advise none the less

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Here's something I just came across:

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
    -John Ruskin

18. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

j, there's a reason people don't want them if they know what they're doing. There's enough solid builders who can build an AR that will drive tacks at nearly any range and they avoid them for a reason.
    Better to avoid losing that money on the front end and building a solid shooter, rather than trying to teach a chicken to be an eagle, and winding up with a turkey.

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

WAIT what? your upper has a 20" barrel.........

the barrel is the heaviest part of your gun, nothing else comes close. I'm gonna guess that on a budget build that 20" barrel is going to be a medium or heavy contour (less machining makes it cheaper) That is gonna be a pig to swing around.

The Polymer lower isn't gonna save you that much weight. I'd guess about 3-5 ounces. Also that weight is going to be behind the center of gravity making your gun even more nose heavy.

BTW that $260 DSA upper doesn't have a BCG, charging handle or rear site. Might want to add that to the list.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking polymer lowers. I am considering a New Frontier Armory poly lower. But it would be for range use. I don't think I'd consider one for defensive or heavy use tho. I'd only be considering one for a light use, lightweight build, like a 14.5" lightweight barrel I'm planning for the wife.