AR Sniper Buttstocks

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by GDWaters, Jan 3, 2014.

1. GDWaters

GDWaters New Member

I'm in the process of ordering parts for a build. I'm torn between the Magpul PRS and the CAA SRS. I would like to hear comments on these. I like the adjustability of the SRS but it's expensive. I've read negatives on both on other sites. But have searched and found no discussions at this forum where I place high value on the opinions.

2. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

PRS is nice but heavy. I put one on one of my first varmit builds. Lots of adjustments that never get used much. That stock is now on the shop gun so we can adjust and take customer measurments. 30+ builds later I just use the magpul MOE fixed rifle stock, unless the customer can't be talked out of spending the money. Fits about 90% of shooters with no mods. Put a monopod on it for bench/varmit shooting, and it does everything that's needed.

A tactical/varmit type build is heavy enough without any additional weight, and the PRS is mucho heavy. Youll thank me if you need to carry the rifle any distance.

I have added the removable cheek risers to the MOE rifle stock by routering some slots in the sides. This gives 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" cheek height riser for cheap! Just make sure the charging handle clears before you cut! Really only need this on a very few high scope mounts. Length of pull can be changed with addon butpads. The monopod is pure personal preference, i prefer a rear bag myself. This is usually all the adjustment needed. Price with all this is ~$100...;)

Note: my personal rifle wears black/silver laminate wood A2 stock, grip and triangle rifle handguards on a national match free float tube. Feels better in very cold, varmit hunt conditions. Boyd's , Ironwood and several others also makes sets now.

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/19.html

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A1 and A2 depending on your length of pull. Both work, not heavy, not a lot of moving parts to break. Has a trapped door to put stuff in or add weight if you want. Usually not to hard to come by or very pricey.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've got a prs on my precision ar but that gun is damn heavy and pretty much a bench only gun. Very nice stock but its heavy.

I take it your looking at a dmr role. The 223/556 really doesn't reach out hard enough for a true sniper role. For that role a good fixed power 1-4 or 3-9 optic fits the role just fine and the stock really should be kept lightweight.

I run a bcm middy lightweight bfh carbine with 4x acog a cmc trigger and magpul acs-l stock more than adequate for anything you would need a 556 dmr for. If I need more optic I can toss my 3-9 trijicon accupoint mildot on it.

5. GDWaters

GDWaters New Member

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of modifying a low cost stock with cheek risers.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you go that way try it it as is before you do any mods.

7. dwmiller

I've also used the garand/springfield type strap on riser. A couple customers swear by these. Cheap and reversable. I've seen them in black leather. Try SARCO or Numrich...;)

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've found most scope/mount combos don't require a cheek riser at all and line up retry well with a standard stock and a flat top upper. Considering the height of the standard sights, the height of most scopes is going to be pretty close unless you need some really high mount for some super large objective lens that would put the center of the scope higher than where the top of the carry handle would normally be.

Remember that any cheek rest must allow for travel of the charging handle, or you aren't chambering any rounds to send down range.

9. dwmiller

^^^ True, bear in mind that most of what I build are long range varmit rifles. 50-60mm objectives on large(30-35mm) scope tubes. These Scopes usually need 1/4 - 1/2" of cheek riser. Most tactical type Scopes should mount low enough that no riser is needed. ;)

10. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member