AR Sighting Options?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Racinfan83, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Racinfan83

Racinfan83 New Member

I currently have an Olympic AR with the carry handle. I have a cheapie 3x9 scope on it with the single screw-in mount that goes in the handle groove. I am thinking of trading mine in for a Stag 8 that has the Midwest flip-up open sights. I want to be able to use the iron sights - but in reality this is a toy gun that I would like to be able to shoot accurately at 200 yards - thus I need a fairly powerful scope to even SEE that far. I have never used an eo-tech or anything similar, and the price for one of those is beyond my budget. What can I do here to have accuracy, be able to see a small bullseye at 200 yards, and possibly still be able to use the iron sights?

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I am assuming that your AR does not have a removable carry handle...on a flat top rifle you can purchase one of the "Eotech copies" that are commonly found at gun shows now a days, and there might possibly be a magnifier that that mounts in front of the holographic sight, and that flips out of the way when you don't want to use the holo sight and choose to use your flip up iron sights.

But to me, it kind of sounds like you are trying to got one rifle to do the duties of two rifles.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Out to 200 yards you may just want to go with a 4x12x50 on the flat top. IMO the eo-techs are designed more for tactical entry and close quarter combat, although, I may be full of do do on this one. I've been wrong before.

4. russ

russ New Member

If still being able to use the iron sights is a big concern, then you are really limited on options. What Squirrel_Slayer said about an EOTech clone with a magnifier (I've seen 3x, 4x, 5x, and 7x) is one of your only options. However, a decent inexpensive scope might be your best bet, if you're willing to just forget about the iron sights. Heck, I'll bet you could easily sell the MI flip-ups for $100.

5. Racinfan83

Racinfan83 New Member

I'll have to look into the "copies". If I go back with the scope route - is there a removable mount that will hold it's zero? Something that attaches with a lever or something, that you can take off and put back on and still be on zero?

6. russ

russ New Member

The mounts that are good enough to hold zero are pretty pricey. You're talking about LaRue or something equivalent, and that means $200+ for just the mount.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  8. Racinfan83

Racinfan83 New Member

That is very nice! The $200 is probably out of my budget though. I'm going to try to attend a gun show today here - maybe I can dig up a used one.
    PS - I love your sig line!

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

You don`t need much magnicafaction to shoot 200 yrds. Watched a friend of mine hit a corn husk at 255 yrds., lazered, with one of the dot scopes. After he did that I hit it with my AR with my scope set on 3X. I personally can stand the dot scopes, but if you can get used to them they do work well.

10. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

As far as a scope I perfer a higher magnification. I decided on a Weaver classic V24 scope. It's 6 to 24x will do well out to at least 400 yards. Asfor the mount I found that the Burris P.E.P.R. makes a terrific one peice that is strong and has an advantage by the way it is designed of allowing for an extra 2 inches of forward adjustment if needed and costs around $80.00

My rifle with the Weaver scope and Burris mount.
    [​IMG]

11. russ

russ New Member

Sweet looking rifle! I love the wood furniture. Sabre upper?

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

13. Racinfan83

Racinfan83 New Member

Well - I am solving the first part of my problem as of last night - getting my A 1 upper changed out for a flat top upper. Decided to go that route instead of the new gun. When I get that back I can go back to deciding what sight system to put on it...

14. tuckinauster

tuckinauster New Member

As a rule of thumb, you need 1x of magnification for every 100yds you plan to shoot. So If you only plan on taking your rifle out to 200 yds, there is really no reason to put a big honking scope on it. If I were you, I would start looking at ACOG's, or optics of similar design, in the 2x-4x range. That will give you a good balance of fast target acquisition at close range, and enough magnification at the extended ranges you plan to shoot at.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, an ACOG might be a little out of his price range, like most people! :)

16. tuckinauster

tuckinauster New Member

I can agree with that, but maybe the OP should take a look at this:

[​IMG]

Bushnell Trophy Red Dot

It's only 1x, but I still think it would suit the OP's uses well. The best part is that it's a tenth of the price of the Trijicon.

17. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

The barrel is a Saber, the Forearm is by YHM and the Muzzle Brake is by Jojo's, receiver is by Knight.

18. Racinfan83

Racinfan83 New Member

Those mounts are what I was looking for I believe. Thinking of maybe a 1.5 - 7 or a 2 - 8 variable scope now that I have the flat top coming. I do still have the A1 style post sight on the front - if I go with the tallest of those rings you linked - it should get the scope up high enough so that won't create any problem - right? Any suggestions on a decent variable scope in 1.5-7 or 2-8 in the $200 or less range that won't give me fits with point of impact change when I change the magnification?