Firearms Talk banner

AR Roll pin trigger pin?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dwmiller 
#1 ·
I recently completed another 80% AR build. NO problems encountered, however, during the course of the build I had to wonder. Has anyone ever experimented with using roll pins for the trigger and the sear pin? I was thinking that would provide minimum side to side movement after a few disassembles.

Pic of the build on the left, a Colt M4 on the right.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You probably could use a roll pin for the trigger and hammer. However, you would have to be very careful to locate the groove, in a position that wont cause friction wear on the trigger and hammer.

The other issue is you loose the ability to quickly field strip and clean the lower receiver.

#3 ·
LoL,if I lived in a tent in the Sahara that might be an issue. But I live in an environment containing such things as running hot water, compressed air, hot air dryers, Q tips and aerosol cans of gun oil, so I am having difficulty envisioning a real world scenario where I have to take the trigger, et al, out for routine cleaning with normal usage.

In the real world excessive removal of those steel pins eventually eenlarges the hole in the softer aluminum frame so the pins are no longer snug..

#4 · (Edited)
If you are serious about pin movement try a set of KNS pins. They are fixed for rotation as well as lateral movement. As noted above the roll pins would probably cause undue wear inside the parts that are supposed to rotate. Also pretty hard to get a tight tolerance on a roll pin as its made to expand into its hole. The trigger group runs on tight tolerance. Just my thoughts...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-rotating-ar-15-small-pin-154-stainless-steel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.