AR R-sight loose

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by hubus83, Feb 1, 2014.

1. hubus83

hubus83 New Member

Whoooa! Everyone!
    So just joined this forum because I have noticed, while browsing, there is some great Q & A to most problems.
    Thus brings me to my Q. Recently purchased an AR 15 base model with the carrying handle and after a good cleaning and oiling, went out to zero the sights.
    My problem is that I have noticed after I was finish, my rear sight is somewhat wobbly, easily moveable and not stable. How do i tighten the sight?
    Now, I have been shooting for about 5+ years (OIF vet) and never had this occurrence. Thanks you bunch of maggots. :) ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391294415.194942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Even though I'm not a maggot I will answer your question.

You see the two thumb screws on the side of the handle?? Terrible way to affix sights and optics. If your lucky they have a slot for a screw driver. Using a very large bladed driver loosen both screws a little. Now with the handle still in its place push it forward towards the muzzle and while maintaining forward pressure tighten both screws with the driver front one first the rear one.

If they come loose again you will have to remove the handle screws and apply some blue locktite to the threads and reassemble as above.

3. hubus83

hubus83 New Member

JonM,
    Thank you so much for your advice, that rear sight really started to tick me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

May I suggest a dab of Loc-Tite?

Too much torque with strip the threads or worse.

Clean the thread area, dab a little on, finger tighten firmly, let sit for 24 hours.
    (This is said with some experience gained from working on some inexpensive ARs.)