AR Question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bigsmiff68, Nov 26, 2013.

1. bigsmiff68

bigsmiff68 New Member

Does anyone know if ATI makes a good AR-15? I was offered an ATI Omni hybrid for my Ruger SR1911 comander and I am not sure it is a good trade since I can't find much on the rifle.

Here is a link to the Davidson site where the gun is. Can someone tell me if it is a decent gun?

AR-15 Link

Thanks

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

In one word, NO. I would not own a polymer lower

3. bigsmiff68

bigsmiff68 New Member

They seem to be more durable than aluminum.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITSIQeKGiE"]Video[/ame]

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Word to the wise! Stay away from polymer lowers.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, I would be perfectly happy to trade your 1911 for a plastic AR.

Doesn't affect me a bit.

6. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Other than the polymer situation,they don't have the best rep. I think they are garbage. I've worked/ repaired 3 for friends. One of them had the FSB mounted at the 12:30 position, blocking Half the gas port. The other broke lugs on the bolt, the other had a missing take down detent. Not impressed!

7. bigsmiff68

bigsmiff68 New Member

Thanks for your valuable input :rolleyes:

8. bigsmiff68

bigsmiff68 New Member

Thank you. That's enough for me to stay away from it.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no experience with (never even heard of) this manufacturer, but I do own a Bushmaster carbon AR. I have had no issues in the two years I have had it. But... I do not expect the same longevity as a steel receiver. Time will tell. Different strokes for different folks. Get what you want. Post a report.

10. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Plastic is for 22's and glocks not AR's!

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

That's what they said about the first polymer firearms. While I agree with you, I bet the day comes when this is the accepted and standard offering. Wood and blued steel? Old school to the youngins' in today's world

12. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

The question is, how much can you sell your Ruger for. There a a lot of good deals out there. I know PSA is having ridiculous deals right now. Sell it and build one for a couple of hundred more.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And if it was use of plastic in a new design that was engineered to use plastics from the beginning it could be fine. Using plastics in a design that was engineered to use aluminum is not exactly the same.

I've accepted polymer framed pistols, their use in rifles as well. But guns like Glock, H&K, Styer AUG, SCAR, etc. we're designed to use polymer from the beginning and I would expect them to hold up well.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It would be different if the rifle offered to trade was a colt, stage m&p lewis but ATI !!! Sell the ruger out right and you can buy a M&P sport for near 600 dollars and a few better quality ARs for at or under 700. Build a basic rifle from PSA for 600 bucks.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If the trade was for a ,a, better AR then yea but a ATI !! If you want a AR and not your ruger sell it out right. Look around at bud's prices for an idea what you can buy for or see what you can build for from the likes of psa.

Here ya go , By this - http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ackhawk-rifle-kit-with-22-conversion-kit.html
    add this and have a functional 5,56 AND a .22lr kit for it .- http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde.../lower-receivers/anderson-lower-receiver.html

+25 bucks at a local FFL and you have a better rifle that the ATI and for less than 600 bucks with tax.

My down the street general store has a M&P15 sport for 609 and couple other better name AR's under 700

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My advice, as always is:

Keep your 1911 and buy a good AR if you want one.

This is the best way to avoid "buyers remorse and regrets"

17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I had an Omni polymer lower break on me after 9 rounds. I will never recommend one for anybody.

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a completed ATI Omni lower somewhere at home right now. I should take it apart one of these days, and have intended to do so for some time. Why? Because the tupperware split when hammering in the bolt release pin, and as a result it is no longer a viable lower (way too much lateral movement in the bolt release to consider acceptable). I only hope I can salvage nearly 100% of the LBK.

After I take it apart, I'll probably trash the plastic lower that must've set me back $70 plus a $10 BGC.

That's what I think of polymer lowers. It's not that they can't work...but at the moment, they just don't work for me.

I also have a stripped ATI lower somewhere. No idea what'll become of it. That's likely to remain the case for some time.

19. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I would say no to that trade. Keep the SR1911. I have a couple of ATI stocks and I do like them but no idea of what quality the AR would be. Their stocks are generally cheap ($$) and do work, but a whole AR (??????).

I have no problem with a carbon fiber AR, but mine is a Bushmaster and I bought it just to play around and change it out. I think they are still too new to tell how long they will last, where as the all metal ones have a proven track record.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jim

[​IMG]