AR Pistols

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Shooter, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Anyone own an "AR pistol"? Curious to know what upper, lower and barrel your running on it.

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

They aren't very useful, range and accuracy are compromised for the short length. You'd be better off with an MP-5 or other SMG design over an M16 pistol.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I put one together for a guy about a year ago. Had an Olympic Arms matching flat top upper and lower. Put on a Hogue pistol grip. Front end had a "customized" 8 inch barrel. What that really means is that we chopped down a full size 16" G I Barrel that the guy had, per his request, and attached a Yankee Hill Machine muzzle break. Got a YHM front end, a full floated tube design that was, I think, about 5" long. Drilled the front end and attached a flip up, fold down front site, the back was the same, but it attached to the flat top rail.

We got a special piece that went between the lower and the buffer tube assembly, like the alignment washer on a stock assembly - but smaller, that gave him a single point of contact for a sling.

All in all, it was okay - nothing special. Guy probably spent more money than he got fun or accuracy out of it, but to each his own....

JD

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I work with a guy who used to have one, he sold it last year because after firing a mag it would jam up really bad. I could ask him and get back to you later. Personally I would just buy a handgun.

5. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Rocky Mountain Arms made the original factory production 223 pistol.

Had a 7" match barrel and would shoot under 2 inches @ 100 yards.

Many AR pistol kits of today use hodge podge parts and untuned gas system causing reliability issues.

Biggest problem is 223 ammo needs about 10-14 inches to burn powder.

Also if one handed or limp wristed.slows bolt carrier function causing FTE or FTF.

Fun but not real practicle...better register as an SBR w/m-4 or reg stock and a 8 to 10" barrel for a tactical entry weapon.

6. JWIII

JWIII New Member

A friend of mine has the Bushmaster... It has a buffer tube, but no stock; legal reasons.

But, you can transfer the uppers... So You could have a collapsable stock w/ one; however I would not recommend doing so since it may be illegal in some states without a permit.

DPMS has the Kitty Kat, but it's for LEOs and Speciial Ops, etc only.