AR pistol

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Wi_Hunter556, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

Just curious about legalities. I'm looking at building an AR pistol. Does the lower have to be registered as a pistol? I don't want to mess with laws and potentially get in trouble at a range or anything. Just looking for the right route to take.

2. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Now I am no expert on the law, my understanding is that it does not necessarily need to have been registered as a pistol receiver so long as it was never registered as a rifle receiver. My stag stripped lower was just registered as "receiver", so it was clear.

3. cotex

cotex New Member

Register as a pistol period!

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A virgin receiver is good for any firearm with legally assembled parts. Registration is required only for the NFA specified setups, such as a pistol with a forend grip.

5. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

If you have to fill out a 4473 on the lower have them mark it as "other item". If they mark it "rifle" and you build it as a pistol it could get you into a bind. I just built mine a few months ago, and made sure everything I was doing was legal. It must be a virgin lower, meaning never fully assembled as a rifle. And for future reference, a pistol may be turned into a rifle, but a rifle cannot be changed into a pistol. Have fun

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Id like to say thats somewhat right but we ran into issues with these stripped lowers because they say rifle on the side . We could not use these for pistols and had 50 of them at one time . [​IMG]

7. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I built mine from a virgin lower that was listed as "other item" on the form 4473.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Had they been stripped from production rifles?

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

ATF might have a ruling on that, but your state could have another. Here in Komifornia, it has to be a pistol lower. With that comes the paper work and a tax. Or you can circumvent the entire process and build it from an 80% lower and still be legal.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No they had not , these were virgin lowers but there is a issue with building a pistol that says rifle on the side of the,.

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If you are building on a stripped lower you bought as a stripped lower then you're good to go. You can build your pistol on it without any problems.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am sure it gets unwanted attention. There's no criminality, and the serial can be tracked to the factory, but who wants the headache.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This is a fact , I have several LEO friends that could care less, however all of them have stated if you get caught with that inpistol form by a other office that doesnt have a clue be prepared for the worst . So I just have a couple of these dedicated as rifles only

14. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

I was actually wondering the same thing. I currently live in NY which most of you have heard recently enacted some A$$-backwards laws. For example we can no longer purchase an assembled AR due to the fact that it has the evil "pistol grip" feature yet stripped lowers are just fine and dandy since they don't have the "deadly" and scary pistol grip. I found a local FFL with stripped spikes lowers at a good price and now my question is since it doesn't say rifle on the roll mark and it will be marked "other item" on the FFL forum will I be good to go to build this lower into a pistol config once I move out of NY ??