AR pistol in 10mm

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by tinbucket, Oct 14, 2016.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Doesn't fit Ar or Pistol category.
    Possible design.
    I don't remember model designation but the bolt and carrier was charged with a trigger inside the hand guard, on top. No charging handle, in back.
    First version did not have forward assist either but easily was added
    Shorten the magazine well to handle a 10mm size or other magazine of double stack etc.
    Modify carrier and buffer for shorter round to save weight and size.
    Eight or ten inch barrel and effective recoil reducing flash hider or even a short silencer.
    Semi or full auto. Easily controlled with rear grip and magazine or short hand guard. Can't calculate the weight but it shouldn't be over 40 ounces???
    This instead of adopting or already adopted Glocks with weaker 9mm or .40 cal ammo. Actually jack up the pressures to sub machine gun characteristic pressures.
    What do you think?
    Still have to have a strap to carry or possibly a loop or pivot on belt like some old western revolvers?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe its just ME but on my search for an "AR pistol", they all seem to have a shoulder stock.
    Does that make it an Short Barreled Rifle?
    I like the Idea of a 10 mm pistol that can carry a large capacity mag for use in the scrub and brush if I come across a large mean four footed beast, but I would still like to NOT carry it around MY neck as I've already got a rangefinder, Binoculars and a GPS
    This is me on "May Day" in '05, on a bear hunt. The hip boots is because we had soft snow in PATCHES that were over the knees, a bright sun and 'squeeters".

Attached Files:

4. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

It does not. Ar-15 etc have a buffer spring thus the tube that looks somewhat like a stock. After market braces are just that-a brace approved by the ATF. A 10mm AR would be a lot of fun but by the time you bought mags/magblock you would save time and money going to a rifle caliber.

5. tinbucket

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would look at a 6" 1911 chambered in 10mm.
    Replace the main spring housing with one that has a lanyard loop.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Beretta CX4. Not an AR, but it shares magazines with the PX4, which makes them a good combo.

8. tinbucket

Sounds good but still staid as in slow velocity.
    Need the standard back to the original SAAMI or above standard.
    160 grain bullet1600 fps minimum out often inch barrel.
    Don't know how much velocity would be added in a 10mm case with a16 in barrel.
    One part, of my idea is to buck all the new or newer reduced performance levels.
    I see no wisdom in the widespread trend or status quo.
    They are leveling handgun ammo off in the 800 to 1100 fps range .
    I would prefer the 7.62x25 as far superior to the 9mm or .40

9. MFJIMMY

MFJIMMY New Member

As a 10mm fan, I would love to own a 10mm chambered MP5/10 or something but not an AR style pistol carbine... Just don't see the point.

In a practical sense 223 loaded with good defence ammo is better than any pistol round.

10. danf_fl

11. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Artbrownsr

The ballistics are there without a needed piece of info, when asked for the barrel length we are given a web site that has various barrels available BUT I cannot see which one is/was used for the ballistics info.
    Can one of you kind gentlemen clear up the mud without just throwing websites links at us without SOME reference as to what we are looking for and where to find it.
    Thanks folks.

13. danf_fl

Normally, handgun ballistics is performed with the barrel length of normal handguns (in the case of the 10mm, 5 or 6 inch barrel).

I have a Dan Wesson C-BOB (10mm) and an Ed Brown Kobra Carry (.45). The 10mm does have considerably more felt recoil, shoots flatter, carries more rounds.

And the barrel length is 4.25 "

14. Artbrownsr

I was looking at THIS one as a possible, as one of my daughters has a G29 (Glock 10 mm), and I'm seriously looking at a 10 mm as an "Outdoor Carry" ( for my brush and woods tramps, rather than my urban tramps). At present I'm favoring the Armscor 10 mm selections and bouncing between Full Size double stack (weighs more unloaded than either of the other two loaded,) or the Full size or Mid size 8 round. All 3 have "'70 series internals" which is to MY liking. Until I put the money on the counter I'm still looking and can be influenced! Even after, I'll still be drooling over what is next.